Add Tennis Balls to the List of Things Goombas Hate

Posted by James Newton

Everything's a weapon

It's not just feet that pose a serious threat to eternal whipping boys the Goombas; tennis balls cause them serious harm too.

Nintendo's new trailer for Mario Tennis Open showcases some of the new special games, from a Super Mario Bros.-inspired romp through World 1-1 and 1-2 to a Super Mario Galaxy face-off against a Luma.

You also get to see a Mii dress up as Mario, if that's your kind of thing.

The game's playable at PAX East this weekend. If you're going, say hi (or "biscuit") to our man Jon Wahlgren.

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

Mario Tennis Open is on my to-get list but it's around half-way down. I watched this trailer yesterday and after watching it Mario Tennis Open has gone up a notch.

Mok

Mok said:

I'm doing push-ups on the fence for this one. Will probably not be a day 1 but I'm eagerly awaiting any and all reviews.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Traditional controlled Tennis? PASS. Wii motion Plus showed me the way, I don't care how awesome the 3D effect is. It's not the 3DS's fault, after all it's a portable...The only time I've ever been intersted in a sports based title is if it's NIntendo themed(like this) AND if it has motion controls, other wise i couldn't care less....Especially the jive' EA churns out. Playing Madden part 500, or some Baseball, Basketball or Hockey sim on an XBOX is easily my worst gaming Nightmare.

Oh and "BLADES of STEEL!" lol

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

So that's where the name comes from... it's the first "open" Mario Tennis tournament since it lets just any ol' Mii come in and compete, not just the usual Nintendo stars.

Haywired

Haywired said:

@WaveBoy
But for those who enjoy video games rather than realism the controls will be excellent, as they have been for pretty much every tennis game since Pong.

Also, that NES mini-game looks amazing!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

The special modes look awesome. I'm actually considering getting this after seeing this awesome trailer.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

the minigames there seem to be really cool. some nice ideas but in the end it all goes down to the simple tennis-gameplay.
and i won't pay so much for a tennis game.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

@Haywired

If this were released on the Wii, with motion plus tennis controls and the ability to move your character with the analog stick I'd be in heaven, but alas that aint' the case. By the way, even pong played better in Laser Hockey for Wii Play using pointer controls, at least i thought so. Being able to tilt your paddle like that with slight movements of the wrist felt fantastic. of course, Laser Hockey is just a shallow attempt, a tiny little awesome demonstration in ways which to 'use' pointer controls. Anyways, ya i know what you're saying. but if this is anything like Mario Power tennis which is great for what it is than eh....Just not my cup of tea i guess, no suprise there considering i'm no fan of sports.

Then again, maybe i should just go in with an open mind like i always do by wasting more money and chancing it...Like always, which ALWAYS leaves me dissapointed.....Except titles like Elebits, Pikmin NPC and even Excitebots which i had quite the blast with. You gotta try new things once in a while after all, this may be it....Maybe. :p

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Seems like this could be on par with - or even more varied than - MK7 then. Good to see. Also looks like the most engaging use of Mii's ever due to being able to "level 'em up" with different gear.
Cool idea with the SMB special game as well.

Megajack

Megajack said:

sadly im not gonna get this day 1. thats cause my birthday is May 22 so ill just get it on my birthday. save money u know.

Punny

Punny said:

I like that the ink-spewing Piranha Plants from Super Mario 3D Land and a Super Mario Galaxy-inspired mode are included in this game. I'll definately consider purchasing this game.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

Mario Tennis Open really has me geared up for a DAY 1 pick-up. Only game I couldn't stand was Mario Power Tennis on the GCN because of the DAM power shots. They drove me nuts like crazy. With all the online features this game is sporting, maybe, just maybe. It can maybe be in line to be one of the TOP 5 or 10 best games for the 3DS this year. Depending on what good games show up. I will say, the Luma character is what has me intrigued the most. Hopefully this opens the door a lot wider to allow Rosalina to be added into more Mario sports games in the years to come.

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

That SMB mini game looks awesome. May have to look into this game. As long as Nintendo doesn't create too much of a bare bones single player experience then I'm in.

BTW that Mario shirt is awesome I'd totally wear one of those in real life.

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

Mario Tennis was fairly far down on my list of games I was interested in. While that seems cool and I'm sure its a good title, with the number of really good games coming in a couple months, I doubt this will make my cut.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

This actually does look very, very fun but I'm just way too poor to spend over 40 bucks on it. Maybe when used copies start showing up on Amazon for about 25 bucks, I'll swing it.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

Hitting the ball against the TV is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, it reminds me of the ending scene in the Wiz when they unveiled Mario Bros. 3 for the 1st time. Hopefully it's not just the 1st two levels.

That being said, the core tennis mechanic having good controls and a good level of challenge will be the ultimate thing to decide my purchase

TheKingOfTown

TheKingOfTown said:

Mario Tennis is my second favorite Mario sports series, after Mario Strikers, so I'll definitely get this.

UltraGamer

UltraGamer said:

This is a must get for me, BUT i wouldnt pay £35 for it. I'll probably wait a month or so for the prices to go down before i get it.

Ras

Ras said:

Day 1 for me. I've been excited for it since it was revealed, and this latest trailer really takes it up. I love SMB mode, but a course set at Mushroom Gorge just ices it. Cannot wait.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

The poor Goombas, they really do have the worst lot in life.

The lack of RPG mode (grr) killed any chance of me paying $40 for this, but if those special games are good (and plentiful) enough, I could still see myself picking it up sometime.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

The Super Mario Bros. game and the Luma faceoff look cool, so I'll try to get this game as soon as I can after its release.

zenarium

zenarium said:

I didn't like this game but after two great news in the last 2 days... TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

But due to school exams I will only be able to buy it in June 15th...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Interesting but still not sold. I do agree that $40 seems a bit stiff (unless there are more features we don't know about), but then how long do first party Nintendo games take to lower their prices? And I seldom buy used.

Imagine23

Imagine23 said:

At first, I was skeptical about getting this title. That was until I saw this trailer

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Leave it to Nintendo to take something as simple as tennis and make it an extraordinary experience! But while I'll admit that my interest in this game (which was originally zero) has gone up a little, I'm not gonna spend $40 for it. Maybe I'll get it sometime later when the price is lower.

DeadAntelopesGo

DeadAntelopesGo said:

I hope the 8-Bit level mode is more than just 1-1 and 1-2. That looks like a really cool way to play some tennis!

HaNks

HaNks said:

day 1 pick up here! cant wait for online. UK dwellers might want to check out tesco's pre-order with a 15% code running at the moment bringing it to just under £28, lowest price atm.

AmineKat47

AmineKat47 said:

@sinalefa I agree that there might be hidden features their not trying to release but still, a tennis game. No one would buy it for 40 bucs

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

Aw... come on, guys! Don't keep using flat crowd members in the background... it clashes so much and just looks cheap and awful..

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

those special games show exactly how inventive nintendo are and in putting extra twists to the tennis concept. i thought the super mario bros, N.E.S level and the ones you have to hit the ball for it to go through the rings were brilliant.

i'm glad this isn't going to be your average tennis video game, as it'll have stuff in it, which will make it more playable, enjoyable and accessible for non-tennis fans but of whom are fans of the mario games.

JoeysGirl

JoeysGirl said:

Looks awesome! I will definitely buy this - when it's $20 or less. Why would anyone pay $40 for TENNIS! I'm sure it's a great game, but it should only be $20. And while I'm on my soap box, where the heck is ANIMAL CROSSING and PAPER MARIO?!?! Those games I would pay $40 for each. But will they ever come out??

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Was skeptical, but played it at PAX with a stranger and two-player was pretty fun. The special modes (esp. NES SMB mode) look great.... please be 29.99? Otherwise I'm waiting on this one.