Rumour: Donkey Kong 3D Swinging Into View

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Disclaimer — might not be a real game

We quite enjoy the occasional rumour here at Nintendo Life, especially on a Monday. With that in mind, we're pleased to bring you the latest speculative news, and that is that Donkey Kong 3D is coming to 3DS this year, or on 25th May if you believe one particularly enthusiastic online retailer.

This rumour started when a DK Vine forum user called Scraps69 posted an image from their local EB Games store, which we've posted with this article, that clearly shows the title on the shelf with a 2012 release date. The inclusion of Super Smash Bros 3DS alongside this box with a 2012 release date does call this into question, as Nintendo has repeatedly stated that this title is a while away yet. It's also interesting that despite a number of announced 3DS titles yet to receive a release date — Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing, for example — some retailers have started pre-orders for a game that has not received any public acknowledgement from Nintendo, as far as we're aware at the time of writing, at all.

European online retailer multiplayer.com not only lists the aforementioned 25th May release date, but the same page also shows future releases of Kirby 3D, Final Fantasy 3D and Dragon Quest 3D. Either these are speculative titles with '3D' bolted onto a franchise name, or the retailer has exclusive insider access: we'll let you decide for yourself.

So a shovel of salt is clearly needed for this rumour. That said, we'd love to hear what you'd like to see from a new Donkey Kong game on 3DS. A sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns, a revival of Donkey Kong 64, or something completely new? Let us know in the comments below.

[via dkvine.com]

Karakato

Karakato said:

Stopped believing when I saw SSB coming out on 2012... While were at it, how about taking some preorders for F-zero Please?

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Donkey Kong Country Returns Returns sounds like a great title. However Retro said that a new DKC game is not in their schedule. Perhaps Good Feel could make it.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

A sequel to DKCR was my dream title for the 3DS when i first heard about it. And there just has to be one since a DKC game needs a few nice underwater levels.
Could only be topped by a Kirby game with true, full 3D enviroments. I wouldn't mind if ithat would be a RPG either.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm betting this is a 3DS 3D port of Donkey Kong Country Returns. In fact, I'd probably bet a lot on it. :D

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Yeah, a shovel of salt indeed, but there will be a Donkey Kong game for the 3DS eventually. Whether it's Donkey Kong Land Returns or Donkey Kong 64 3D will just have to wait to be seen. After seeing 3D screenshots of Donkey Kong Country Returns, I think a game with that kind of graphical power would be eye-popping on the 3DS.

mshope10

mshope10 said:

i know this might be pushing it.but i heard nintendo is going to have somebody else do smashbros. on 3ds.so maybe its capcom,sega,namco, who all make the best fighting games and it would have all the normal nintendo characters,and a decent amount characters from each company.and with them 3 on developing,it could come out this year or early next year.

and then nintendo could take there time on the Wii U version.

onlyaman

onlyaman said:

I didn't put much time into the Wii original and DKC Returns is a perfect fit for the 3D display, so I would be perfectly happy with a 3DS port... provided that they maintain a slick frame rate.

StuffyStuff

StuffyStuff said:

Big name titles don't get three months of advertising before release. Seems like there were articles about Mario 3D for months and months before it was released, so it seems to me that this is ficticious.

To answer the question, I think an RPG would be cool. Mario RPG worked out pretty well.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I wouldn't doubt a DK game is coming. We still have the second half of the year's 3DS line up to be announced at E3. Something tells me either a DK or Kirby game will be announced for the 3DS then.

But yeah, that's just a placeholder.

Samholy

Samholy said:

hahahahaha FAKE !
some employee has photoshop skills and like to have a good lol

OrdonianLink

OrdonianLink said:

If so, a revival of 64 would be great. I spent hours on that game and the multiplayer was great!

C7_

C7_ said:

It's a fake publicity stunt/marketing ploy for easy cash (this crud should be illegal btw), Nintendo hasn't said anything about a new DK or Kirby and they would certainly not just let one slide out without saying anything.

The inclusion of Smash Bros. right next to it is just as ludicrous, for all we know Smash Bros. may only come to WiiU as the last I heard was that it wouldn't even be started until after Kid Icarus' release and therefore there's no ACTUAL details on the game other than "we want to make it".

Do I want them? Yes, but I would not only be wary to hand cash to game stores for games that have no proof of existence, but actually go out of my way to avoid giving them my business entirely just because they've lost credibility in my eyes. Without any official statements, this is just some silly gimmick for quick cash from unsuspecting gamers who may not know better.

Lan

Lan said:

Has anyone seen DK and Diddy standing together like that on any official artwork? If not, that'd make the rumor more believable. It'd be easy for someone to shop an old pic of them onto a box

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I saw something similar at an EB games a long time ago for Yoshi Advance. Turns out it was for Yoshi Topsy Turvey. Months before reveal.

This kinda reminds me of it.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Hmmm... DK64 3D or DKCR2... I'd get either one... I hope this turns out to be true, though I doubt they'd release it this year.

SuperNictendo

SuperNictendo said:

I wish. Id like to saree an enhanced remake of the original which is the cheapest, quickest way to get a game out. If this indeed is true, it'll probably just a port or enhanced remake

CapedGodot

CapedGodot said:

This is just speculation. Similar games will exist at some point, but EBGames hasn't had any special insider information. Considering the image used to make the box art is something from the release of DKCR, and can be found by a simple Google image search of "Donkey Kong and Diddy", I find this to be pure speculation.

Dak_n_Jaxter

Dak_n_Jaxter said:

Donkey Kong Country Returns on the 3DS would be awesome. Especially without the damn motion controls....

But anything DK is fantastic.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I really hope when they put a DK game it's not a DK64 remake. That's really not a game I need to see or play again.

RVN

RVN said:

"SUPER SMASH BROS 3DS - coming 2012"
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahaha...
I wish it was real

Noire

Noire said:

Guys I head Metroid Dread is coming out too see here's the boxart

Untitled

CAN'T BLEEPING WAIT

Punny

Punny said:

I doubt that this is real, but I have high hopes that someday Retro Studios will make a Donkey Kong Land Returns for 3DS. :)

BenAV

BenAV said:

Clearly fake.
Chances are we'll get a new DK game before a new SSB game though.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

I believe it's a fake. It's just a cruddy photo job, and I never trust Eb or Gamestop for official release windows. one of the times I was buying something from them, they asked me if I wanted to preorder Skyward Sword because it was coming the end of that year. That year was 2010, and it was the beginning year to boot around this time.

aoeder

aoeder said:

Nintendo would have announced it. Definitely fake (although I wish it was true :P).

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

There have been quite a few of these kinda of photos running around. There's one for Monster Hunter 3G as well, which says that it's coming out in Spain and shows a pre-order display box, but the box art is actually the Japanese artwork, with CERO rating and everything.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

It kinda looks like it's just the store in the picture being shady... people put money down on pre-orders for games that may or may not exist, but with any luck they won't actually be released and the customer will forget to ever ask for a refund.

spzero15

spzero15 said:

My goodness i hope this happens, DK country is one of my favorite series, I also want a new Punch Out and Star Fox for 3DS

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

This is so obviously a hoax. Whoever did this is having a great laugh at all the attention it's getting.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

May seems optimistic but I think a DK 3D is inevitable. If we could get it by the end of the year that'd be fantastic.

CrimsonTurtle8

CrimsonTurtle8 said:

The box art for the Kirby 3D game on that site is just the back of the Kirby Air Ride box. So there's that.

Andrew_DS89

Andrew_DS89 said:

I was in my local EB Games today actually and there was a Nintendo rep in there having a stern chat with the manager because they had that exact display and she was not happy that they had them up =/

I heard the manager talking to the rep and the conversation they had at the time didn't click, as in I wondered what she was on about it was as follows:

The manager kept saying "I spent ages putting that wall up, I'm not going to go to the trouble of tearing it down" and the representative said something along the lines of "Nintendo hasn't announced anything about this yet, and I don't think they would be too happy about this"

Now I understand, they were arguing about the game =P Now whether that rep meant that there is no DK3D at this time and so they don't want people thinking otherwise, or that they don't want to reveal it yet I don't know.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Old news is old. :p

...oh, I should elaborate. I knew about Donkey Kong 3D last year, I believe around September-ish, as it was in the EB Games systems around that time. So basically, I already knew about it. :)

JimLad

JimLad said:

@Koops3 Yes! I want to see another platformer from Good-Feel. Epic Yarn was awesome (aside from the lack of death).

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

wouldn't be surprised at all if the display turned out to be authentic, as Andrew_DS89 says — i was in my favorite GameStop the other day and saw that they had a display of DLC codes for sale (they use red boxes with special 'DLC' labels on them, and pictures of the games they're selling codes for)... and one of the available games was 3D Classics: Kid Icarus. I asked them if that one was legit and they were really selling it right now (because hell yes i would've bought it right there just to be the first person around to have it, haha~), but when he tried to scan it in it wasn't even in the system, let alone available for purchase. what a tease :(

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

This is very interesting... while America and Europe got that message a couple of weeks ago on SwapNote saying 'I hope everyone's looking forward to a new Zelda' or something similar, here in Japan we got a message teasing a new Donkey Kong game.
Hope it's DK643D, or at least a game in that vein.

HaNks

HaNks said:

why so much love for DK64...i felt it was inferior to Banjo on a lot of levels. similar formula but just spread thin over an excessively long game. amazing graphics for a N64 title though! loved all those fluorescent lighting effects and the mini games.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

What're you guys all on about?? Of course it's all real and all coming out, I can see the picture! 2012 is gonna be a good year...

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I want it to be like Donkey Kong '94 style, in 3D. Or even a 3D'd out version of the arcade original of Donkey Kong. Original DK for life (and the Country games :)

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

See the only reason I buy from EB is because I refuse to buy my games from Target.