Nintendo Download: 1st March 2012 (North America)

Posted by James Newton

Metroid on NES

Bit of a slow week to kick March off, with an NES game on 3DS Virtual Console, a couple of demos and one piece of DSiWare all there is to talk about today.

3DS Virtual Console

Metroid (NES, Nintendo, $4.99) — Samus Aran's first adventure surely needs no introduction, but it's available to buy in the eShop from today. We'll review it in its new portable form very soon.

3DS Demo

CRUSH3D (SEGA, free) — Ahead of the game's belated North American launch, you can try Zoe Mode and SEGA's mind-bending puzzler, then read our CRUSH3D review for the full verdict.

DSiWare

Aahh! Spot the Difference (Gamelion Studios, 200pts) — Another week, another spot the difference game; is this genre the new sudoku? We'll circle the differences between this, Spot the Difference and iSpot Japan in our upcoming review.

WiiWare Demo

Aya and the Cubes of Light (Object Vision Software, full version: 1000pts) — A trial of this intriguing space-set spacial puzzle game, read our Aya and the Cubes of Light review for much more.

That's all, folks. What are you getting today, if anything?

Related Games

Jamix012

Jamix012 said:

Nintendo! Why won't you bring me Punch out!!? And Wario Land. Come on now. I'll download the Crush3D Demo but only because I have about 20GB of space to fill.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Wow. No WiiWare, no Wii Virtual Console, no new eShop exclusive, and the 3DS Virtual Console game was already given away to ambassadors? The demos seem interesting, but this is still very weak.

Samholy

Samholy said:

already have metroid, and it made me angry. Games back in the days were.... unforgiving.

gotta pick the new demo, crush looked quite interesting. ugly. but interesting. ( the hero looks awful, reaaalllyyy. what were they thinking.)

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

What's NOA have against giving us two 3DS VC a week Europe is getting Punch Out and Super Mario Bros (which the US already has) why couldn't they give us along with Metroid Kirby's Block Ball or Wario Land EU has had both of those (Kirby and Wario) for weeks. Looks like nothing much for me this week except the Crush 3D demo and upgrading Metroid.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

At this rate I'll be able to get all the ambassador NES games I lost! :D

EDIT: Another week, another hoarde of complainers.

onlyaman

onlyaman said:

Hey James- does this mean that Metroid has been updated with VC features (!state saves!) for us Ambassadors? That would be awwwesome.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Already have Metroid. Metroid series is great, but the first one is tough!! I got going in circles.
I give up on Wario Land. And Earthbound. And Kid Icarus: Myths and Monsters.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

This is the last month for NoA to deliver on eShop games promised. In that sense we still need NightSky, Fun! Fun! Minigolf Touch!, Kirby's Block Ball, and Jett Rocket: Super Surf.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

When I can find my 3ds I'm going to download metroid and the demos that I've missed for the last three or four weeks.

CharlieBravo

CharlieBravo said:

So far there isn't any update for Metroid in the US, but hopefully that will change later today. Metroid, Zelda, and Zelda II would be a lot better (easier, and less frustrating) with restore points.

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

Hopefully Metroid comes with an update for Ambassadors, just like Super Mario Bros.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Edit: Ignore this post, or at least read the next couple before getting excited.

NEWSFLASH
Ambassadors should check their list of Your Downloads. All remaining NES titles have been updated.

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

@ejamer Nope, those updates went out 2 weeks ago. They don't do anything (visible). Sorry to burst your bubble, just keep waiting.

ejamer

ejamer said:

@AbuJaffer
Weird. I didn't see or hear about updates being pushed out a couple weeks ago, but you are totally right.

Sorry for the false alarm. Newsflash retracted.

stratocastx

stratocastx said:

So I guess this really means that us ambassadors are going to get 10 weeks worth of VC releases that we already have? Yay...

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

Another 3ds demo is another good week imho. Metroid I've had already, but its good to see another VC game release

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

No Wiiware and no VC Wii game?? I´ll check the demo but it isn´t enough.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@stratocastx: Yes, you are not receiving stuff because you already got it for free ;)

Anywho, look on the bright side: VC's not dead :D :D

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I'll check out the Crush 3D demo, looks interesting. Other than that nothing really great this week. I think the original Metroid is pretty overrated but at the same time it's still a decent game and any time NoA puts out a VC game, whether for Wii or 3DS we have to be happy about it.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

This Metroid game here is already free if you had already done one of these accomplishment:

1. You link a completed Metroid Fusion to Metroid Prime on GameCube.
2. You bought Metroid: Zero Mission on GBA.
3. You bought Nintendo's Wii Opera Browser and they gave you a chance to download a free NES game and you use it to get this.
4. You bought 3DS at launch and is part of Nintendo's Ambassador Program.

Accomplishment 3 & 4 are no longer possible but 1 & 2 still are.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Am I the only 3DS owner who's getting really sick of seeing almost nothing but platformers? Whatever happened to other genres that aren't so dependent on timing or button smashing?

SuperTeeter64

SuperTeeter64 said:

Hate to complain, but STILL no Wario Land?... Damn... Oh well. XD Awaiting patiently...!
And really, this update isn't horrible. I'm just not a fan of the original Metroid because it is so unforgivingly difficult. It's still not a bad game though.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Mario Party series please.......

How? You mean Mario Party 3 on N64 Virtual Console for Wii?

ejamer

ejamer said:

NEWSFLASH!! No, really this time!!

Metroid is updated for ambassadors. Go download now.

Even better, the Updates section of the Nintendo eShop appears to be working. When I opened the eShop application, it notified me that updates were available without having to go looking for them. Neat!

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Ambassadors, I know you some of you have been complaining that the NES games being released means you get weeks where you don't get something new, but remember, the rest of us haven't been getting any news about getting GBA games. I would much rather play Metroid Fusion or Minish Cap than have Metroid or Zelda for NES available on a handheld.

Rukiafan

Rukiafan said:

It looks like there is some sort of update for Metroid on the Wii VC too?!
Edit-It's gone now maybe it was a mistake.

BudDudSlash

BudDudSlash said:

Terrible. What's with this slow trickle of Ambassador titles coming out? Nintendo really should release all 10 NES games in one shot, and all 10 GBA games the next week. Get them out of the way and start pushing new titles- these games are old news to a lot of us and using 20 weeks to set them all up will be a nightmare.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

@Bud That's a terrible idea for marketing. You must keep it, scattered, unfortunately there is nothing for us Non Ambassadors, unless you actually want a spot the difference game.

Anubis74

Anubis74 said:

Why does everyone keep saying we got them free? We payed almost $100 dollars more for our 3ds systems. I want new games too, its lame that we have to wait until all these are released before anything new happens. Also dissappointed in the club nintendo games..

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

I wonder if Japan will get the FDS-enhanced version? Wish we could get it here...

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Hm. I already got Metroid on the Wii's VC, so... I don't know. I did get Metroid II: Return of Samus, though.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@siconlolz: Wow where have you been those games have been on the Wii VC for awhile now.

As for nothing for me this week I was never a big fan of Metroid on the NES always liked Metroid II better which I have. I was hoping for Warioland. Heres hoping that we get it next week.

Nintendude92

Nintendude92 said:

Mm, I can't be mad with the rush they had, I've still got plenty to play

I do want Mario land 3 though!

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Ooh, definitely getting Crush 3D demo. Finally back to demoes of new games!

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

Just a demo this time? Well, I guess it's better than nothing.
Will someone let me know if the 3DS's Virtual Console ever gets button-mapping options or at least a control option like Super Game Boy had? I'm OCD about this.

siconlol

siconlol said:

@Tasuki I had meant for 3d classics Mario rpg I never got to play my wii broke before I had a chance to buy it and Kirby super star just cause its freaking awesome ^_^

Mattiator

Mattiator said:

Metroid's got the restore point features. Sure as hell beats the passcode system unless you REALLY want to use "Justin Bailey" again. Also, the sound effect on the 3DS menu is a Mario 'coin' noise, just like Super Mario Bros. I guess that's the sound for an NES title, but to be honest it would be way better to have a sound from the game emulated, i.e. a short clip of the title theme for Metroid, the 'kill enemy' sound effect for Balloon Fight, etc.

@ejamer Also, it appears the Updates section doesn't work for older updates (like the updates that appeared two weeks ago for the NES titles), still it's good to see the section finally having a purpose. Hopefully the 'Add-On Content' section of the 3DS Storage Settings section will soon as well. Just in the middle of scouring my downloaded titles list for updates. Also, I wonder if an update to Dillon's Rolling Western to utilize the Circle Pad Pro for those lefties having trouble with the game is on the way? Wishful thinking, perhaps.

Also, where's our Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure demo?

Birdman

Birdman said:

Getting the CRUSH3D demo asap. I've been eyeing that one for awhile, and this will probably be the deciding factor.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@siconlolz: Ah gotcha. You know they have Kirby Superstar on the DS as well you can always get DS cartridge and play it that way on your 3DS.

hendie001

hendie001 said:

i know it will never happen but i want a good hockey game . maybe nhl 94 snes , EA would never let it happen but be cool to be the jets, teemu kills in that game. go jets go

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

Wait. No Street Fighter II with online play? Whaa...?

I'm about ready to cry... :(

JusticeColde

JusticeColde said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I guess I should give up waiting for World Heroes 2. It's never coming to the North American VC.