New SNES Title's Pre-orders Sell Out

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Anything but a nightmare

A few weeks ago we reported the surprising news that there's a new Super NES title on the way in 2013, defying the convention that developing retro games means publishing digitally on modern consoles or platforms. Nightmare Busters, from Super Fighter Team, will come on a brand new Super NES cartridge, while also including retro collectibles in the form of a colour manual and traditional card-stock box.

With a price tag of $68 within the U.S. or $75 worldwide, some may have doubted the ability for this to succeed, yet despite doubling its typical pre-order production run to 600 copies, Super Fighter Team has confirmed that pre-orders are now sold out. In fact, they sold out within three weeks of the release details being confirmed.

The Nightmare Busters web page states that this is the fastest-selling project in the company's history, with the potential for a renewed production run once all pre-orders have been met next year.

[via nightmarebusters.com]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Nintendo, are you paying attention? Virtual console roms are nice and all, but if you brought back the REAL SNES... moneys in your pockets.

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

Surprising. I can't say I would be there to buy an SNES if they rereleased though.

OrdonianLink

OrdonianLink said:

If they re-released the SNES with a couple games on it that we're good like Super Mario World, sure I'd buy one.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

@Shiryu: I don't think it would be very successful, sadly. I can see retro lovers who don't own THE SNES getting one, but all those dumb graphics junkies will start trolling on it and how you can't see the pores on every character and how Apple's rotten potatoes are creating better images. Then people will start playing on their fancy DVD players and shoddily built "consoles."

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

... I should have bought a bunch (20-30) and retailed them on eBay. I''d be a billionaire. But of course the fact their is a FREE ROM for this game might ruin my sales though.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Am I the only who thinks this game will be pretty bad? Neat idea and all.... but I ain't wasting my 68 bucks.

Kafei2006

Kafei2006 said:

Will the cartridge be equipped with a long lasting MASK rom like the originals or a cheap flash memory chip which will die within the next 5 years ?

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

This revival idea it's quite interesting, impulsing the powerful nostalgia-retro-factor to the skies!! Quite nice idea, HOWEVER, I'm so curious about the security methods (if any) they've implemented to avoid cloning the game into an emulated rom! There are thousands of people out there who'll try to emulate this! They MUST have thought on this already, if not, of course they'll lose a lot of sells!!

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

Anyway, are there any trailers of this game available?? I just know about it's existence, but nothing more...

MrIsaac

MrIsaac said:

This may start the dream of bringing the good old 90's back! If this game get a lot of recognition in the game industry, and Nintendo realizes that they will make money if they bring back the SNES, it will benefit both sides: the fans' and Nintendo's!