New Fire Emblem Trailer Raises the Temperature

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Battles, and then more battles

Upcoming 3DS title Fire Emblem: Kakusei, or Fire Emblem: Awakening as its known outside of Japan, undoubtedly has eager fans clamouring for a release date. With the title due to hit Japanese stores on 19th April specific worldwide details have not yet been forthcoming, though Europe has been confirmed for a 2012 release.

In order to show-off the title, Nintendo has produced an extended trailer that shows a wide range of game mechanics. Those of you familiar with the Game Boy Advance titles will recognise some features, while this title will also utilise 3DS capabilities such as the inclusion of DLC. The trailer below is in Japanese, meanwhile, but at the very least you can marvel at the cutscenes and in-game footage.

[via youtube.com]

AVahne

AVahne said:

Watched this trailer 4 times last night. I. Want. THIS. GAMMMMEEEEEE!!!!!

AutumnShantel

AutumnShantel said:

Wow they've changed the way FE looks alot!! I won't compare until I have the game, though. I'm sure it'll be just as fun as all the others I've played.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

ITS TIME FOR AN OVERHAUL!

This better becoming stateside. Day one purchase for me! Looks purddy!

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT! WANT!

pixelman

pixelman said:

I wish NOA would stop pussyfooting around releasing games anymore. This is getting old. u___u

Nin-freak

Nin-freak said:

Looks good, but the two player battles look a little too easy to win at. Hopefully that's just the easier levels their showing.

I'd also love to see some online battles too, but that is far from what I'm seeing and I doubt Nintendo will do it.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

This still looks great (it's Fire Emblem, of course it's great), but it's certainly more Japanese than previous installments have been.

Not that that's a bad thing just an observation. #1 on my Most Wanted list for obvious reasons (namely, FE being the best Nintendo series of all time). ;) :D

spidey1010

spidey1010 said:

Those cutscenes look beautiful.

But they really need to stop the whole "human that transforms into animal" thing. I first saw it in Sacred Stones and I've hated it ever since.

zionich

zionich said:

OK im convinced, I want this. Pixel is right, its a shame NOA just doesnt want our money anymore. Maybe the dollar is on a bad decline.

Hejiru

Hejiru said:

Looks like Ira from FE3, Innes from FE8, and Kurea/Clare from FE2 are DLC characters. (5:09)

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

question of for those who want NOA to release this and are real saltly that NOA didn't do the RPGS.

Have any of you ever thought that as big as Treehouse is they must choose wisely what they localize. All of last year was taken up by localizing the last wii stuff and alot of 3DS stuff. Early this year is taken up by 3DS stuff which is text heavy like animal crossing and Kid Icarus. Not only that but they have to localize the Wii U demos for E3 and the Wii U OS, Games, and what not.

So just how were they supposed to fit in three niche text heavy games around a giant workload.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@shingi: Not to mention they handed Last Story to XSeed. I think NoA may have their hands full atm. Or maybe they're saving FE as an e3 announcement? It has happened before.

ville10

ville10 said:

@shingi: Why would NoA have more trouble than NoE? NoA didn't even have to do the translation of Xenoblade themselves thanks to their European branch.

Most likely they don't think this game will sell, or maybe they somehow think it's better to wait with an announcement (don't ask me why).

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

The 3D combat still looks a little sluggish. It's time to renovate this series. Right now Fire Emblem reminds me too much of Shining Force III.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Wow, I'm interested now and after my ambassador copy I'm interested in getting more, but I really need to beat it first

Samholy

Samholy said:

quite promising. i never played a fire emblem yet. i have the ambassador advance title, but didnt have time to try it yet. zelda and mario occupied my 3DS gaming time

AVahne

AVahne said:

@spidey1010
They've had this since the very beginning. In my opinion, it's one of the best things about Fire Emblem. It's a fantasy game after all.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@shingi_70
Yet Europe is able to handle that workload without complaints, even though North America is supposedly the bigger market for Nintendo games. I haven't seen anything that could be considered a big workload for the Treehouse when compared to what NoE is doing. Maybe NoE has separate branches that each handle a different set of games, but still, NoA has a smaller workload than NoE in recent years. This just tells me that NoA is uninterested in selling games they don't think will sell, even if their fans want them. It's about time Nintendo removes the region-lock on the 3DS and on their home consoles, so if NoA doesn't want our money, NoE or NoJ can have it.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Gamesake
Should be more like Shining Force III reminds you of Fire Emblem. Personally I love FE's battle system, and now it's just getting even better.

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

I can't wait for this game. However it's games like these that make me wish nintendo would put full retail titles on the e-shop. I would much rather be able to carry this game around with me and start it from the home menu whenever i want. that way i don't have to cary multiple cartridges around :/

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

@Koto The point is Shining Force III is a very old game. It's 2012 now and 3D characters don't have to look this placid in combat.

milojica

milojica said:

So much epic moments in just a 6 min trailer. I am playing my copy on GameCube right now for the hundredth time. Greatest series of games!

ultrasann

ultrasann said:

@pixelman the reason why it happens is because they think we won't buy it. Seriously, just look at the Western market: SHOOTERZ BLOOD GORE MANLY ARGH

GARF13LD

GARF13LD said:

Alongside KH DDD, and Paper Mario, this is my most anticipated title, I cannot contain my excitement.

Being a Nintendo fan right now is really paying off with all these quality titles popping up.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Gamesake
Guess that's just how you see it. They look more than lively enough to me in this game. More so than in all the past games.

siavm

siavm said:

I have to beat the fire emblems I have. I have only beat the first one that came here on gba, but weirdly have all the ones that came to the us. I hope this one comes over too.

Nin-freak

Nin-freak said:

I totally saw Innes from FESS in that video. Maybe they let you go through past characters and use them in some way? Maybe in map mode or something? That would be epic!

Squid

Squid said:

OK, I'm sold on this game, probably a day-one purchase if it comes to NA (and I don't usually make day-one purchases). Looks really fun, very different than the other Fire Emblems, and all-in-all just exciting. Honestly, this doesn't look like something Nintendo would make, but maybe that's just me. Looking forward to this, so please a North American release, Ninty!

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

Who cares what the fighting animations look like? We all turn them off after 5 hours of gameplay anyway ;)

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

Dual attacks look sweet - reminds me of Disgaea. Anybody know if they only will trigger with characters who have support levels, or their equivalents?

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Wowzers. While i didn't care to get into other Fire Emblem titles enough to beat 'em this looks effing great. Guess i'll have to get this when it comes to Europe.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

@pixelman could NOT agree MORE with that statement.. it's gettin' ollldddd
if I find the Fire Emblem is NOT being released in NA I will sell my 3ds and never look back I swear on my dead mothers grave. It seems like they are throttling releases to cover the months where there are none available. And to me 85 % of eshop games are abysmyl and not even as good as a bad Ipod game. Does not apply to ALL e

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

@SyFy Ty - Nintendo has made precious little, if any, money off me. I bought the 3DS at the lower price, but early enough to get the ambassador games. I have not bought a single 3DS game new (only 3DS game I bought was OOT - used). I haven't seen a single game interesting enough to get me to buy it new. Fire Emblem would be one, but that's about it.