Gearbox: "No Other Platform Can Do What Wii U Can"

Posted by James Newton

"Nintendo to show more soon"

Gearbox Software is prototyping Aliens: Colonial Marines for Wii U, and studio president Randy Pitchford has spoken to Vox Games about its work so far on the next Nintendo platform.

Comparing the upcoming shooter to its current-gen counterparts, Pitchford was glowing about Wii U's potential:

The Wii U version has so much more to offer... no other platform can do what the Wii U can do. If you love 360 games, you are not used to being in a world where you have this new interface. But once you get used to that, you imagine the possibilities; there are some opportunities that are just not possible on any platform that does not have that device.

It's good to hear an experienced developer like Pitchford so enthused about the Wii U's new controller, but how will Colonial Marines use the pad? Pitchford won't spill the beans, but is clearly eager to speak

I don’t want to give spoilers away on some of things we are thinking of or things we have actually implemented already, but a lot of cool opportunities with that device that are going to make a very unique and compelling experience on that platform. We have given a lot of attention. I think it will not be too long [before] Nintendo opens up their kimono a little bit more about that platform and where it is going, we will be there right with them talking about how Aliens is using it.

With 68 days until E3, the wait to see what third-party studios have cooked up with Wii U is nearly over.

[via theverge.com]

MAB

MAB said:

Sounds like Ninty will be the massive headline act at E3 exploding with awesomeness. The screen will obviously display the alien tracker and I hope you can use that gun shell with the nunchuck + wiimote + wii u pad on top configuration. Gonna be fully sick.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

"...opens up their Kimono"? That expression struck me as odd, but good to know that developers are stoked about the Wii U...

UNSOLUTEDSALT

UNSOLUTEDSALT said:

I like how developers are showing interest in the new ideas they are able to implement on the Wii U. I think that's what people don't get. Nintendo doesn't compete on the graphics race because it is more focused on how we can better use what's already available to make an even better gaming experience.

That's why no matter what system Nintendo makes, I'll always buy their products; to support innovation in the industry.

But to round out, I will also always buy the Xbox's and PS's to support traditional gaming. I'm not the target audience for these social/mobile games. I need the physical input and engrossed dynamics of home consoles and dedicated handhelds.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Wow, only 68 days until e3. It still feels like a long way off but that's just around 2 months! I'm excited this year for the reveal of the Wii Us future and games! (and 3ds of course) :)

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Ya that's great. I'd only actually be interested in this if i could use wii remote pointer controls + Nunchuck(Metroid Prime 3-style control scheme) even IF the Wii U controller offers some brilliant innovative idea's with the touch screen ect. 'that' would be my alternate control scheme to try for kicks, with pointer controls easily being the front runner. Dual analog doesn't do anything for me anymore.

erv

erv said:

Opens their kimono and "hilariously fails at erotic content for wiiU".

I can see the headlines already. In other news, wiiU will be awesome, and please use the perfect tilt function for supersleek aiming, btw...

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

To be fair that is the least what you expect of a company like Nintendo. That's kind of what they specialise in.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

That's nice, glad someone said its better than the CURRENT GEM systems. Sorry, still nothing appealing on the system yet. Something better be announced at E3, otherwise I'll wait for the price drop and 20 free "I'm sorry" titles that are offered 4 months after launch.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

After the Zelda demo, and it looking like a cutscene, my friend said he wasn't gonna get a Wii U. When I asked him why not he said "I don't want my games looking like movies"... He shut up when I told him that's like saying the 3DS's games look like movies.

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

as excited as i am about the wii u, im a little worried everyone including developers are hyping too much about the new controller, and games that would really be better on the CC-pro or motion+ will be put on the pad just for the sake of using the pad, just like the wii suffered

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Eh. But what happen's when the next xbox has compatibility with Windows 8 tabelst and the PS4 (orbis?) uses the vita or Sony tablets as an alternate control scheme.

and isn't that flawed logic and a but hyperbole. I mean when we get to E3 and wii u doesn't have Cloud saving or apps like ESPN them i'm going to be mad.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

this needs to be released on the wii U. it's looks so impressive. but it's really good to see developers seeing potential in the wii U. i don't believe it will experience the same fate as the wii because i think the wii U will have less shovelware.

i think the more quality third party support for the console, the better.

TheWord777

TheWord777 said:

i wonder,because there has been bad feedback about the spec that devs are trying to reasure hardcore gamers intrest?

Myx

Myx said:

when i read the headline i thought to myself "they are right.. no one else of the competitors launches that massive expectations just to ruin them by non-action during the actual life cycle of the console" :/

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

Everyone wanting a 'mote and chuck option: It's understandable that you want it, but I believe once we get our hands on it, that the dual analogue plus accelerometer aiming system will be just as accurate.

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

Did you? Did you have to do that? I wasn't thinking about how long it was until E3 until now. 68 days, that seems like an eternity.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Think of the Wii U mutiplayer modes online. Think a more horror style horde mode where Only one person can use the Wii mote as the heartbeat sensor from the movies with everyone else having to stay close or be killed.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@shingi_70 Nintendo would probably be releasing another console by that time. I am only basing this off of past history with Nintendo's 5/6 year console release. Besides by then people would have either bought a wii u, and those who aren't nintnedo fans will join in the fun.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@vonseux thats probably because he was talkin about the controls. I am disappointed on how slow Nintendo life post these things up late. This was posted up yesterday by another site.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Eh, I'm jaded to developers hyping it. I'm going to need to see something substantial to get excited.

Ras

Ras said:

Miyamoto, Iwata? I love you guys, but please keep the kimonos closed.

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

Hopefully the Wii U is GC remote compatible as well. There are some games that just need it.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I just thought of something that I saw in the Wii U reveal video. Remember how they used the Wii U controller to use as a sniper scope? Imagine using that as an optional way to aim down the sight in a Call of Duty Wii U?

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

You know this may seem to be a bit odd of a question, but who's hands are those holding the Wii U tablet? How do you think they feel about seeing their hands on news sites and gaming networks everywhere? :P

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Is it just me, or does this Wii U controller seem like a bigger 3DS or DSi? I think its too clunky for today's tech standards. What would be cool is if you could use your 3DS or DSi as a controller and/or just use a standard joystick. I never liked the Wii Remote, but I know I'm in the minority here.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Nintendo tryna take over again ! No flags on the play this time around i hope.

NintendoMike

NintendoMike said:

I don't care how "cool" these developers call that controller. I'm not buying any FPS that requires me to use dual analog sticks. Period. No Wii remote functionality = no buy.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

I think Nintendo's idea with the Wii U is "Choice." So I imagine that the WiiMotion Plus and Classic Controller Pro will feature heavily in most Wii U titles. (Unless they want you to play a certain way - like in OTHER M and K.I. UPRISING)

mizumaru

mizumaru said:

Having seen the movies(sans Prometheus due to lack of a TARDUS) I know that the Wii U controller will be used for detecting aliens and other life forms. I be one control scheme will have you with a Wiimote in one hand and and the new controller in the other, likely using the left analog stick for movement. Multiplayer will likely have a "battle medic" who will hold just the Wii U controller or the aforementioned scheme.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@grumblegrumble no that would not work, i understand where your coming from but if u do that then u would have to play with 3 screen and that's WAY too much to concentrate on. i think the one big small screen is a great idea. Besides, i think there was discussion on this topic already.

hydeks

hydeks said:

all I can say is I can't wait for the Wii U, and E3 2012 can't come fast enough :P

X-Master1

X-Master1 said:

I think that it will be awesome when the wiiu comes out //// will it take regular wii games

hillbill26

hillbill26 said:

Now these guys have their heads in the right places (just not about the Kimono part, which i find kind of racist). There is a lot of things the Wii U will be able to do. Who knows how long it will take till the consoles can cook your food of make phone calls (i guess that would already be considered as an iPhone or any smartphone).

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@shingi_70 Oh, and i really dnt see the point of Microsoft releasing or announcing it next year. There's nothing really they can do with it. Graphics have hit a wall and really the only thing Microsoft and Sony can do with the new consoles is come up with some new way to play games that haven't already been done. So personally i think it would be kinda pointless for them to waste money like that.