Game of the Month: February 2012 - Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D

Posted by James Newton

Snaaaaaaake!

In a new regular feature, Nintendo Life's editors choose the best game reviewed in the previous month for your reading pleasure.

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D

Konami's PS2 remastering was revealed alongside the 3DS way back at E3 2010, and while it seems to have taken an age to materialise it's important to remember 3DS isn't even one year old in the West.

Snake's Cold War mission is the venerable soldier's first appearance on a Nintendo format in quite some time, but it's the perfect jumping-off point for MGS newcomers. Set before all the other games in the series, it doesn't require an intricate knowledge of its cast of characters, their loyalties or motivations — you can jump right in where it all began (sort of) and pick it up as you go along.

While February was a pleasingly strong month for releases on Nintendo formats — The Last Story, Strider, Rhythm Heaven Fever and Mario Party 9 all scored highly — we think Metal Gear's first appearance on a Nintendo handheld since 2000's Metal Gear Solid richly deserves the inaugural Nintendo Life Game of the Month award for February 2012. Don't believe us? Read Jon's Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D review and be convinced.

MGS:SE3D is out now in North America, while Europeans get to buy it next week.

What was your pick of the best game released in February? Do you agree with our choice or did we lose our minds? Join the discussion in the comments section below!

SBOY

SBOY said:

Good choice even if it's not really a portable friendly game (too much cinematic)...

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Perfect game to kick off this new feature. I can only hope COMPLETE wins next month.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

More like game of the century. Well the original Subsistence version at least.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

It would be The last story for us Europeans as MGS: SE3D is out next week in Europe. Also, I don't think Mario party 9 should be mentioned in the article as it may have been reviewed in February but its still a March release.

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

@FonisofCruxis
The regioning confused me for a minute....but I think it's just the top game reviewed that month in general, not necessarily games released that month.
According the the sentence below the heading.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

I really didn't enjoy the demo, so I think I'm going to be giving MGS a miss.

It's probably a good game, I just really couldn't stand the controls (even with a circle pad pro)

AVahne

AVahne said:

I guess Resident Evil didn't take it because Europe got it first in January then?

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

What humorless committee of colorblinds put this brown mess above Rhythm Heaven? >: (

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

While I do love the MGS series I just didnt like it on the 3DS. Using the ABXY buttons to move the camera was cumbersome and didnt feel rights also I couldnt figure out how to aim with the crosshairs when I pulled my gun out. I will stick with this game on the PS or Xbox thank you very much.

Samholy

Samholy said:

this ???
Dillon western was better than this. im sorry, but i totally disagree.
mgs wasnt made for handheld.

Chobi

Chobi said:

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D is a fantastic port but it's just MGS3 nothing special. If i had to pick a Feb game. it would easily be Resident Evil: Revelations. That game really show off what the 3DS can do graphically. Plus it has an online mode which is a nice.

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

ive never played a mg since the NES version.. and i never beat that one either.. i think i got like 1 hour into it.. smoked a cigarette, and lost interest...

RR529

RR529 said:

Great Pick! This was my first MGS, and I fell in love with it (even without the CPP, the controls were completely fine). This is a masterpiece of the gaming media, and anyone old enough to purchase it should not miss out.

hydeks

hydeks said:

I think Resident Evil Revelations should be best of February, BUT that's just my opinion.

I agree with Steampunk, it's a new game, it shows off what the system can do graphically, has great online and is a great story to it.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Metal Gear 3D is an excellent game but Resident Evil: Revelations is my game of the month for February.

sfogation

sfogation said:

Metal Gear 3D is a good game but ResidentEvil Revelations was the game of the month best graphics on 3ds and original title

Blaze

Blaze said:

The Last Story is my winner, but then again I haven't played MGS3D.

Bucho

Bucho said:

i think all MGS titles are epic pieces of gaming history, all mainstream MGS are cult classics, so i think it deserves the title more than RE:R which´s story i believe to be the most ridiculous dissapointment in all RE series, close to RE:5

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@TeeJay: You may find it 'gross as hell', but clearly other users are enjoying it if they would have chosen it as their Game of the Month. You are also welcome to state your own personal Game of the Month if you like. :3

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Just beat the Fear in MGS3D (chickened out and killed him instead of just knocking him out). Still loving it.

Ren

Ren said:

Based on the demos RE was far better, better controls, better graphics, everything. I just don't get the MGS thing, cheesy but not enough to even be funny, and really wonky gameplay.

8bit_XAN

8bit_XAN said:

@Linkstrikesback
That's a damn shame, because the game is just amazing. What about the CPP controls don't you like? I find they work well and replicate a real console controller layout.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Warioswoods

I am color blind, yet I am loving the hell off of Rhythm Heaven Fever. That is definitely my pick on Wii, with Revelations winning in the 3DS front.

MGS3 would have been great as an exclusive, but having been released after the HD collection really limits its appeal for people who have an HD console. It would have been better to have an all new game, like Revelations.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

It was a solid month for games, even on Nintendo platforms. I'm going to guess that Rayman Origins will win next month over Kid Icarus.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Both RE: Revelations and MGS Snake Eater 3D are fantastic and deserving of the award, but I'd have to give it to RE just because it's a newer game and a better show case for what the 3DS can do since it was built ground up for it.

Mahe

Mahe said:

Horrible choice. The Last Story is a fantastic new game, not low-quality rehash of an old game like MGS 3D.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

@Mahe Please tell you've played the game (not just the demo). It may not be the prettiest version of one of the best games of all time, but for my money it's still a better remake than Ocarina of Time 3D.

BenAV

BenAV said:

For me, The Last Story is the clear winner.
Haven't played MGS3D yet though, finally decided to order it late last week.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I've tried the demo again, and I still am finding the camera controls awkward. I seem to always be running into things, getting caught, and finding it hard to aim. I probably would enjoy it more if I had the CPP, but with the 4 button camera controls it is a pain to play. It's sad because it looks like a game I would enjoy. Maybe I'll pick it up years from now in a bargain bin with a used CPP to go along with it.

Son

Son said:

Good thing I bought this game, I'm starting to like the story & the game itself. MGS:Snake Eater 3D was the first MGS game I ever bought & played. I'm having a hard time dealing with the camera controls. I don't use Circle Pad Pro because its not available in my location yet.