Fire Emblem Awakening Wireless Features Revealed

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Taking the battle to the streets

Fire Emblem Kakusei, or Awakening as it'll be known outside of Japan, is starting to power up the hype generator. Within the latest batch of details revealed to the Japanese press is information about how StreetPass and SpotPass will be used, with some interesting results.

As reported by Andriasang, there will be local co-op battles, with each player selecting a team of three fighters: no talk of online co-op at this stage. StreetPass functionality, meanwhile, will allow you to create a custom unit to share with others, while units that you receive will be eligible to join your army. It's also been confirmed that Nintendo will distribute bonus side-mission maps via SpotPass, which appears to be outwith the expected paid DLC.

Local co-op, StreetPass exchanges and extra maps through SpotPass: what do you think of these features?

[via andriasang.com]

spidey1010

spidey1010 said:

It's exciting just to hear any news on this.

I don't really know what to suggest to make it better, but the online multiplayer for Shadow Dragon just wasn't fun.
Hopefully local co-op goes a long way towards remedying that.
If they do have something online, they should include co-op, or at least change it from Shadow Dragon.

NintenHero

NintenHero said:

They need to get modern, throw in Online Battles/Co-op modes 'cause fighting wars online against other peeps would be real nice, either which way it's Fire Emblem so hopefully I doubt we'll be disappointed. Nice to hear some news.

bahooney

bahooney said:

6th comment! Sounds like a good way to keep players playing this game, this game does.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

Co-op sounds interesting if each player gets troops that the other cannot use.
How they're using StreetPass and SpotPass makes good sense too. All signs point to a week one purchase.

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

I still haven't beaten Sacred Stones.
Eh. I'll get back to it. After I get back to Rayman Origins.
And Epic Mickey. And Metroid Prime Triliogy. And all the Prof. Layton games.

After Kid Icarus.
Maybe.

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

I'm not sure ultimately how fun the pass features will be, but I've been really interested in this game since I started hearing about it.

Nin-freak

Nin-freak said:

I finished Sacred Stones and kept every character alive till the end, a total of 43 characters. Now it's time to move on!

Squid

Squid said:

Sounds pretty good. A North American release sure would be sweet.

CapedGodot

CapedGodot said:

It looks great, if you're into that kinda game. I've never been a Fire Emblem guy, personally.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

Never played Fire Emblem before,but ever since Melee and Brawl,i've been wanting to play a Fire Emblem game,this will be the one :D

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

SRPGs aren't normally my thing, but I love me some Fire Emblem and I'm really excited about this entry in particular.

So just confirm it for NA already, Nintendo!

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

Fire EMblem Kakusie or Awakening as it will be known ouotside of Japan or also known as ... THE game you CAN'T *LAY OR HAVE. I hope al you 1st day buyers speak Japanese. cause it won't see Engrish. I'd bet money on that one.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

PS these passme features and Street pass will only make these games more useless once the next gen arrives. There will be need drive to play them when no one else owns one. Just check out the online capabability for those games released for the DSI only 2 years ago, they are no longer online anymore (very few exceptions).I preferr no online except local as it kills the long term value of the game...

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Never played a FE game until Sacred Stones for the Ambassador Program... I'm a fan. Almost finished with it, but my team may die a horrible death before the end.... which I'll be okay with, personally. I played how I played, and I love that there are real consequences. The end of "my" game will be the end of the game, regardless of whether I win or lose. Can't say I've ever felt like that before. So please bring Awakenings over. Much more interested in a portable version than the Wii or GC games...

NImH

NImH said:

@LittleIrves
That was my exact introduction to FE. I also have become a fan. I haven't played any other games in the series yet, but I cannot wait for this next one!
My brother tried to convince me that Advance Wars was better. After some serious effort and a genuine desire to like Advance Wars, I hafta say that FE is my personal favorite.