Capcom Japan Reprints GameCube Game Gotcha Force

Posted by James Newton

No, we don't know either

Think back to Capcom's GameCube classics: Viewtiful Joe. Killer 7. Resident Evil 4. Good games, one and all, making it all the more baffling the publisher has reprinted Gotcha Force for Japan.

The 2003 action RPG didn't review too well and never flourished into a full-on franchise, but Capcom's giving it another shot with a reprint, to be sold through the e-Capcom store. The reprint comes in a special edition with a selection of art, and costs just 6,500 yen — about £50 / $79 USD / €60. A bargain whichever way you look at it.

[via andriasang.com]

RebeccaGunn

RebeccaGunn said:

My brothers fave game is this title on the GC, so I can see why they might want to reprint it, highly addictive title as I recall, might be to do with the customisation options

sykotek

sykotek said:

Looks like it is just in time for the big super mecha crossover game.
(Armored Core/Custom Robo/Gotcha Force/MSGundam/Super Robot Taisen/Virtual On)

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I just bought "Kirby Air Ride", making my Game Cube collection one step closer to perfection. Sadly, this is one of the many Japanese games I used to read about that I could never play on my PAL GC... and quite a few American ones id love to get my hands on as well...

biddenden_sue

biddenden_sue said:

My 13 year old son has grown up with this game, and after Pokemon and Mario, it's his all-time favourite game. In fact, he has probably put more hours into this than all the Pokemon and Mario games combined! Just a pity that it didn't catch on over here, because it was extremely entertaining. He still plays it now, by the way, on the Wii, as we no longer have a Gamecube.

Alexneon

Alexneon said:

I have it on GCN, this game is a blast when u play with 3 more ppl, and the single player is very addictive (sorry for my english).

ohhaime

ohhaime said:

I loved this game. Maybe they're doing this for publicity for an upcoming sequel!(probably not but I can hope (^_^)

motang

motang said:

That's pretty cool, sad to say I haven't heard of this game. I owned a GameCube, but most of the games I played were main stream ones i.e. Viewtiful Joe, Wind Waker, etc.

Popyman

Popyman said:

Best Gamecube game ever, I've wanted a sequel or G-Red to be in a vs Capcom game for YEARS.

Jarod

Jarod said:

wow this game looks amazing actually, gonna ebay myself a copy right now

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Despite the reviews, it must have proven popular at the time as well; as far as I know, the US Cube release was reprinted at some point too.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Wha...? It's a cool game and all, but why reprint it almost 10 years after its release? I didn't think it was that popular.

@Sykotek

WHAT SUPER MECHA CROSSOVER GAME??? I MUST KNOW!!!!!!

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I remember wanting this game but I never got around to getting it. Hope Capcom reprints it here too. Maybe rerelease it on WiiU if GCN games will have a VC section.

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

Omg capcom ruined my life, can't believe they are doing stuff without my approval

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

doesnt really make a whole lot of sense to reprint...if they really wanted to try to profit they could've waited till the end of the year and thrown this on the Wii U as a downloadable game. Wii U is doing with gamecube games what they did with n64/snes/nes/etc games on the Wii i believe.

Tigus

Tigus said:

This game is basically like the custom robo series but more chaotic and more amazing battles, still play with my unc and the music is great as well.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

I know this is off topic, but does anyone know why the Gamecube is abbreviated GCN, instead of NGC, for Nintendo Gamecube? Or does the N mean something completely different?

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

I've never understood why developers/publishers haven't re-released lots of Gamecube games for the Wii. It would be easy money for them and give the much larger Wii population access to many Gamecube games which are now hard to get hold of or too expensive.

They didn't need to be re-made with motion controllers, just made them compatible with the Classic Controller Pro (or even better a re-released GC controller).

JimLad

JimLad said:

If it wasn't that popular maybe there weren't as many copies printed as the other games you mentioned, and that's why they feel the need to put some more out there. It could have a cult following.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

It's a cult favorite and there was talk that especially the developers at Capcom are huge fans of the game. They were hoping to turn it into a toy franchise but with the low sales that never happened.

Looking at eBay I'm glad I bought it for 30€ back then.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

@Jamouse - Skies of Arcadia on the Cube did get a reprint in the US too, which is why a few years back, it was quite easy to suddenly find copies in Gamestop.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Well, I don't see why I wouldn't buy it. It's Capcom.

I edited this on August 27th 2013. Congrats for finding it. Come back to me if you found it.

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

Dear god yes, Gotcha Force is one of my favorite gamecube games of all time and I still have it today <3

I knew it was popular/well-loved in Japan but a reprint? That's great news!
Please please PLEASE make a sequel, my life would be complete :)