Bathe in the Glory of Miyamoto's Development Wisdom

Posted by James Newton

Quotes from the master

Shigeru Miyamoto knows a thing or two about making games. As general manager of Nintendo's Entertainment Analysis Division he's worked with staff including Yoshiaki Koizumi, Takeshi Tezuka and many more. One of his protégés is Koichi Hayashida, director of Super Mario 3D Land, who took to the stage at GDC 2012 yesterday and recounted some of his mentor's advice.

As part of his talk, Hayashida told the audience some of Miyamoto's game development insight in handy quote form:

Remind yourself everyday of what you are trying to make.

Analyse new information and build your own perspective.

We need to remember to let people play the way they want to.

Even simple things anyone can do can become difficult when you do two of them at the same time.

To prove his point, Hayashida asked the audience to try an experiment: alternate between rock, paper and scissors gestures with their right hand while the left hand switches between paper and rock. You're probably trying it now and finding it's very difficult.

Sadly Hayashida didn't shed any light on Miyamoto's weird game ideas. Next year, perhaps.

[via siliconera.com]

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

I keep ending up with scissors in my right hand and something else in my left hand. If I try to NOT make scissors in my right hand, I end up doing the exact same action with my left (paper vs. paper, for example). Interesting.

This is probably why Nintendo's games take a while to make... they do only one thing a day. Probably Valve's philosophy as well.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I like the first and third one, but it seems like Miyamoto likes to keep things simple and clear. That rock-paper-scissors technique is hard. I'm tempted to do scissors with my right hand after doing rock!

thedanman64

thedanman64 said:

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock and roll"- Shigeru Miyamoto

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

"We need to remember to let people play the way they want to"
And yet in Kid Icarus' Iwata Asks, Sakamoto San said Myamoto hates the idea of choosing your difficulty.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@kyuubikid213: You do realize this is a conference for developers, right? Not everything is going to be "Hey, look, new games and stuff". That's what e3 is for ;)

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

Phil Fish could learn a thing or two from a Miyamoto who is a japanese that makes japanese games.