WayForward: "eShop a Major Part of Our Plan"

Posted by James Newton

3DS downloads the way forward

WayForward has a rare knack for delivering enjoyable download games for Nintendo formats, with its DSiWare Mighty games and, of course, Shantae: Risky's Revenge helping the company make a profit on DSi downloads.

The studio's now moved onto 3DS eShop titles, with its latest title Mighty Switch Force! getting it off to a flying start. CEO John Beck recently spoke to Gamasutra about the studio's plans, and it seems 3DS downloads will play a big part in its future.

When you consider that DSiWare basically meant we could make a DS game and didn't have to find a retail publisher, you start to see why it was an obvious move for [WayForward]. When you have certain content that is available exclusively on dedicated gaming devices, it really helps to set that content apart. The eShop will be a major part of our strategy for handheld games going forward.

It's good to hear a studio of WayForward's quality committing to the eShop. While the company hasn't announced any further titles for the eShop, we'll let you know when it does.

[via gamasutra.com]

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I need to download some of these games. I've heard nothing but great things about WayForward - good to see them sticking around on the eShop!

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

They should port their retail games over to the eShop in some form. I'd certainly download their recent Aliens game, but I'm not quite as keen on obtaining a retail copy.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

Hope that plan guarantees a VC release of a certain GBC game called Shantae. :)
Just getting into Mighty Switch Force! recently. (beaten, first four levels under par so far, great fun) So yes, looking forward to see more releases, Wayforward. Please don't completely rule out making retail games though. (Even non-licensed ones, Contra 4 and A Boy and His Blob are great.)

mega

mega said:

cool. i want them to make an adventure game like super metroid.

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

@bezerker99 What are you waiting for? =D These games are high quality indeed, quite enjoyable, you won't regret! If you like challenges you'll find hard ones in their games trying to pass every stage in a set time or less. Quite entertaining =)

@battLeToaD I didn't knew about Shantae before Risky's Revenge, but with so many good commentaries I buy it and now I'm a fan! I can't wait to play the original Shantae! (and a Shantae 3 will be AWESOME the ending of S:RR leave me wanting more) I finished Mighty Switch Force the fisrt day u.u I couldn't stop playing it, it's so great! Next day I beat the time required in each stage. A really awesome game, but tooooo short. Can't wait to MSF2 ;)

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

@AbuJaffer: I know. It just doesn't seem definite to me so i wished we had a firm release date. No wait, that's not true. I wished the game was on my system right now. ;)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Does Shantae for DSiWare look blown up and ugly graphically when playing it on the 3DS? I'd totaly download it on the DSi instead....if I had a DSi instead of a DS Lite that is. :p

Anyways, is Shante: Risky's Revenge as good as most people make it out ot be? B-)

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Hope their next game is another Shante or another metroidvaina. they should alternate between them and the mighty series.

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

@waveboy: It doesn't look that bad on the 3DS. Not as bad as the old GB VC games. Gotta say I'm surprised you haven't downloaded it yet though.

RR529

RR529 said:

Mighty Switch Force was my first WayForward game, and I loved it. Eagerly looking forward to their next game. I would check out some of their DSiware offerings, but I don't like the fact that DSiware games can't be saved to an SD card on 3DS.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

wayforward have become one of my favourite developers.

i love their style and the fact that many of their games remind me of the 80s, 90 gaming back in the days. i think it would be good if they released and made games for both the eshop and for retail outlets in general.

Popyman

Popyman said:

I hope they make something that's connected and has a story, the Mighty series just doesn't do it for me.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

I actually bought Shantae a couple of days ago and a few minutes ago i finished it,excellent game,i'm glad wayforward is going to stick along the e'shop,i hope they release the original,i've never played that one,so i was a bit confused with the characters and the story,but the final battle was excellent if a tad bit cliche.

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

While it could use a few improvements still, I'm happy with the eShop overall in the 3DS and couldn't have asked for a better online store. I'm glad WayForward will continue to support the eShop and hopefully other developers/publishers will as well.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Does anyone know how Mighty Flip Champs did on PSP? I heard it didn't do so hot, and that might be why they are now focusing on the eshop instead, since their games do so much better there.

Henmii

Henmii said:

It's very nice to have Wayforward on board, but wouldn't we all love a fully fledged retail product made by them? Let's say Mighty switch force...but much bigger!

KryptoKrunch

KryptoKrunch said:

Definitely like wariowoods's idea. I'd love for Alien Infestation to be on the Eshop. If not, maybe an exclusive.

Bacon_Gal_Blaze

Bacon_Gal_Blaze said:

WayForward are definitely the best developers on the eshop, and all they're games are quality. I hope that they keep supporting Ninty in the future. :)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Contra 4 & now Mighty Switch Force are the only 2 WayForward titles I've played and beaten and they are already sealed as my favorite Western Developer haha...Retro Studios(Although they work in coralation with Nintendo Japan correct me if I'm wrong, so it's a bit of a merger....So they're not straight up western.)

Anyhow! I've got A Boy & his Blob to play as well...Then there's Batman: Brave and the Bold(maybe), along with Aliens Infestation and Shante: Risky's Revenge on the 'To get list'.

Again as for Shantae:Risky's Revenge, if it doesn't look as cruddy as GBA VC games(When blown up and scaled that is) then I'm all for it....Besides can't you stick it in it's native res like you can with DS, GBA and GB VC console games by holding down Start + Select before the game boots up?

By the way, do you guys think Mighty Switch champs & Mighty Milky Way are worth checking out as well? B-)
I honestly never gave a He-man hoot about DSi Ware as the majority of it looks like extremely generic time wasting crap aside from a few games. But WF's few titles have always caught my eye, but i never had a DSi to try them out, which is where the 3DS comes in.

Yellowgerbil

Yellowgerbil said:

They are very good but some developers have bettered them in a number of ways, (apart from Aliens Infestation). and while they have many great titles for dsiware and the eshop, there games are taken over by say nintendo, sega and capcom. But they do have lots of great games so don't think I'm trolling.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

WF just needs at least 1 male hero; Don't get me wrong, I can easily play games w/ heroines, & even secondary female characters. It's just WF has a knack for scantily-clad video game characters.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@Capt_N
You've got thee' greatest Avatar on NL. Mind if I steal it? Muhaha. I kid I kid.
What can I say, I'm doomed with Splash Woman for my entire NL existence! B-)
And she doesn't even realise that Christmas is over. lol

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

The best game WayForward can put on the eSHOP requires no development on their part. Because they've already made it. WayForward's greatest game will forever be the original Shantae for GBC, not only b/c of quality but b/c of the legend it has become...

Not that I don't love every SINGLE 2D sidescroller they come out with