Super Mario Bros. Ambassador Update Hits North America

Posted by James Newton

You're in

3DS Ambassadors in North America can now download the update for Super Mario Bros. that adds Virtual Console restore points to the experience.

Head over to the eShop, select Titles You've Downloaded and scroll to find the game; tap Update and you're on your way.

As you know, Nintendo's ultimate plan is to add wireless multiplayer, restore points and digital manuals to all ten NES Ambassador games for free, then sell these finished versions to non-Ambassadors.

Grubmeyer

Grubmeyer said:

...And it it amazing!!! I hope that this is implemented into the other NES games sooner than later. I'd like to get a good run on Zelda 1&2 with zero deaths. This is much easier with some sort of save state. Mario is a good start I guess.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Nice update. I really like the 3D NES icon on the 3DS menu screen. I just wish that Nintendo would add an option to map out the button layout on this game. I want to run with Y and jump with B.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

Any difference in the versions of TLoZ? Haven't seen any yet. Post-game? :P

Also, Ambassador Certificate got an update that changed the color of the text background. The definitive game just got better! :D

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

I've noticed that pressing L + R then Y allows you to change to player 2, don't remember that option being there before! Though I've hardly player the VC ambassador games as I knew they were getting updated so it's possibly been there all along!

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Can't wait for the day you can play the applicable games with simultaneous multiplayer.
@Grubmeyer(#6): Does anything special happen when you complete these games without dying at all ? (Don't want to spoil anything here but a simple yes, no or idk would be awesome. :) )

robohobo93

robohobo93 said:

I've been waiting for the update, though not so much for the restore points (I mainly use them for tricks). I was most worried about the Home Screen icon- I take great pride in the appearance of my Home Screen, lol. I like the coin sound that plays when the game is highlighted as well. I wonder if that will be used for all NES games or if each game will use a sound effect from the game itself.

Grubmeyer

Grubmeyer said:

@battLeToaD Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I know it's been a theme of Zelda to offer some sort of reward /special ending sequence for game saves with 000 death completion. However I do not know how early that tradition started and I'm only familiar with its use in games more recent and including links awakening. "

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Does anything special happen when you complete these game without dying at all ?

Nope. Its just an achievement not to have any deaths recorded on your save file.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

@Grubmeyer:Thanks dood. :)
Wouldn't make sense to use restore points for it if you don't get anything special. If it's just about the achievement consider yourself a cheater now. :P

Slightly offtopic but could it be that downloading the updates of eShop titles enables you to take part in the EU Club Nintendo surveys ?
While i didn't download an update for Kirby's Block Ball it's present twice under "My registered products" (maybe not the actual term on nintendo.co.uk, just a rough translation of the German title "Meine registrierten Produkte"). One of 'em had the the option to fill out the survey.
As i said it might not actually have something to do with the updates, it's just the first and only eShop title i can fill out a survey for. Previously i thought they'd never add that option. :o
I can only make a test in a few hours once i get home. @James: Maybe you'd be interested to check it out before ? :)

winter123

winter123 said:

Once again Nintendo doing something they should have done from the start, and acting like its this great new idea. Emulators have had this since the stone ages. I luch prefer playing on hardware though.

espinozac7

espinozac7 said:

It already has a digital manual. Make the game full screen. Make it save after you pass a level. Make the bottom screen a map so you can choose the level instead of automatically going to the next. That could sell. Sadly, I dont think it'll happen.

NX01Trekkie1992

NX01Trekkie1992 said:

well,now that the restore points are in the emulator, why not upgrade all ten ambassador games with them? seriously, that's lazy, I need one on Zelda II already, I COULD beat Zelda II without it, it'd just take a lot longer

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

So does anybody know why some of my Gameboy VC games had an update available? I updated them and saw nothing new.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I wish there were some way for me to reset and go back to the original quest now that I've beaten the game once. I was hoping that would come in the update but no such luck. I'm still constantly in Buzzy Beetle hell. I guess I'm just going to have to delete and redownload the game every time I want to see Goombas again.

Grubmeyer

Grubmeyer said:

@grumblebuzzz If I remember correctly it is possible, just requires a little bit of patience. Basically its as follows(borrowed from another forum):

Open up Super Mario Bros on your 3DS.
Push the power button on your 3DS.
Push the Home button on your 3DS.  (This will return you to the Home Menu instead of power off)
Next time you open up Super Mario Bros, you will be on the first quest, and the top score will be erased.

Let me know if this works for you, I've yet to actually make it all the way through. Having too much fun messing around with the glitches.

Grubmeyer

Grubmeyer said:

@MrPlinkett-789 No wireless multiplayer yet. Mario wouldn't support it either way. It was always only played with a single controller. I think. It's been a long time since I've played luigi in anything...

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

if only i could transfer the game from the wii to the 3ds,wants it but dont want to spend 5 bucks on it again

jahasnell

jahasnell said:

@WolfRamHeart They did update the button mapping. But, instead of using 'y' and 'b' you use 'x' and 'a'. It's the same idea and way more comfortable. I'm surprised no one is mentioning it in their articles about the update.

jahasnell

jahasnell said:

@Grubmeyer It was played with two controllers originally but, the first player controller was the only one capable of pausing the game.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Of course the theory i had about the updates (comment #18) turned out to be bogus. I downloaded some of 'em but can't do the respective surveys on the European Club Nintendo.

@Joshers744(#30): Somebody said NoJ told people they'd only fix problems the games have with some SD cards. Couldn't find a source yet though and i wished western Nintendo would explain 'em themselves.

Bowser908

Bowser908 said:

cool i just beat super mario bros with the restore points.luv the 3d nes icon too.