Nintendo Confirms Takeover of MobiClip

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Videos galore on 3DS and Wii U

Nintendo has just confirmed the acquisition of the Paris-based video technology company MobiClip. It has provided video content for various titles on Game Boy Advance and more recently DS, most famously in the Professor Layton series.

The company has specialised in delivering high-quality video to a number of devices, ranging from PCs to mobile phones, while ensuring that battery, memory and processor consumption is kept to a minimum. Not only has MobiClip successfully brought high quality animations to the humble DS cart, but it also launched the first ever iPhone live-TV application back in 2008.

According to Gamasutra, this takeover was actually completed in October last year, but Nintendo only confirmed the news today. This seems to be a smart move, as MobiClip's video compression technology will more than likely be put to good use on both 3DS and Wii U.

[via gamasutra.com]

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Hmm... I wonder if this means they'll be putting movies on the eShop or or carts like they did with the PSP.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Ok? Does this mean that other companies wont get mobiclip anymore? Does this mean there will be more for the 3DS? Seriously, idk what this means.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Does this mean that other companies wont get mobiclip anymore?

No, it probably means that (a) Nintendo doesnt have to pay them a license fee and (b) other companies will pay their MobiClip fees to Nintendo now.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Huh, wonder what Nintendo would use this for? Better cutscenes? I remember MobiClip from Kirby Super Star Ultra, and the cutscenes in that game looked very good for a DS game.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Videos looked nice in games like Phantasy Star Zero thanks to MobiClip, let's see their skills put to good use on Wii U.

3DS

3DS said:

Hmm 3D + Video only equals one thing in my mind.......Haha..Nice

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Does this mean there is a good chance the 3DS 2 will have better battery life and possibly not drop to 30 FPS in 3D? I'm assuming the issue with the current 3DS is doing that would make the price of the system too high.

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

Maybe they'll make their own version of Itunes.

BAHAHAHAHA, well it could happen, but probably only in Japan and USA.

Buob

Buob said:

I'm not surprised; I noticed that 90% of my DS library had the MobiClip logo in the logo screens quite a while ago.

GuardianKing

GuardianKing said:

What is the 3DS' graphic rendering and/or resolution. I know it has 3D, but I feel like Golden Abyss (Vita) has some chunkier character models. (Seriously, RE:R was AWESOME!) Anyways, back to the point. This could be very interesting. (HD Zelda with epic MobiClip cutscenes... imagine the epic...)

Chrno-x

Chrno-x said:

It's great to hear that Mobiclip from now will (hopefully) work in a closer relation with Nintendo and their internal devs. I just resolved the mystery in Last Window: The Secret of Cape (one of the best DS titles ever made, at least for me) and Mobiclip have created those great unique cut-scenes in the game. So i'm happy that Nintendo bought them :]

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Seems like a shrewd acquisition. SolotoRobo had some great looking Anime video using this. Hopefully this bodes well for the future of Nintendo consoles.

Oregano

Oregano said:

Nintendo might make mobiclip part of the SDK for 3DS and not charge any extra licensing for it, I imagine developers would like that.

CerealKiller062

CerealKiller062 said:

Pre-rendered clips in 3D springs to mind when I read this article. Maybe for some game developers looking to add more story with less usage of space.

Wolfcoyote

Wolfcoyote said:

This is good news seeing as how MobiClip-enhanced opening videos made a large difference over early DS opening movies (remember the Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow opening vid? X[). I think the real question that everyone above is asking is how Nintendo plans to use MC's technologies...

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

I like the idea of this. Mobi could put out animations for the 3DS and work on future games with some of Nintendo's studios.

I wonder how much money Nintendo makes off of the Professor Layton series? There's licensing, publishing, and now the fact that Level-5 will pay Nintendo for Mobi's services.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

I had that MobiTV app for my phone, that was an awesome TV app, used to watch the comedians on my phone daily with thier fulll shows. Would LOVE to see that on the 3ds... with product oriented shows??!!!
<<<Advance Wars Rumble at 3PM dailyyyyy Grrrrrr, can yu predict who will win?>

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I can only imagine that recently MobiClip's main income have been games on Nintendo platforms.
I'm sure that Ninty either won't let them work with other companies or that other companies aren't willing to pay Nintendo for MC's services. Would mind being proven wrong though.

Henmii

Henmii said:

All I can say is that I am really impressed by those Mobiclip powered movies! Think of the Professor Layton cutscenes. Or those from Megaman ZX Advent. Awesome stuff!