Kirby's Dream Land 2 On the Way to Japanese eShop

Posted by James Newton

Sweet dreams

Kirby's Dream Land is one of the best-selling Virtual Console games on 3DS, so it's no surprise Nintendo is preparing 1995 follow-up Kirby's Dream Land 2 for Japan's eShop next week.

The portable platformer heads to Japan's store on 15th February, and will hopefully bound its way over to Europe and North America before too long.

In the meantime, check our Kirby's Dream Land review to see if the predecessor is worth picking up.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Good, this is one of my most anticipated GameBoy games left! Now the only question will be how long it takes for it to come westward. Wario Land still has yet to come any closer.

Rensch

Rensch said:

This is much lengthier than the first one. I like the animal buddies. It's sorta like in Donkey Kong Country.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

I hope it comes,it's one of the many portable Kirby's i have to buy,i bought a 3DS a few days ago,can't wait to see more VC games :D

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Hmmm... it's certainly a bigger game by a long shot and has some cute maps and things along the way, but I felt like the level design wasn't as interesting as Dream Land or Adventure; this one began what I consider the long trend of repetitive, seeming random levels in Kirby games.

Still worth playing, though, and maybe I'll feel a bit differently all these years later.

blurays

blurays said:

Hopefully this game boy game comes to 3DS virtual console soon.
This game is like Kirbys adventure on the Nintendo Entertainment System.

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

I'd never played a Kirby game until I downloaded the ones on the VC and I've loved them, so will definitely be getting this one when it becomes available.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

The first Kirby game I've ever played back in the day, and it's still one of my favorites :)

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Where is my pokemans.

Also I have tl take A day out and play through all my eshop stuff.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Nice! I enjoyed the first one although it was a tad on the short side. Really looking forward to this and Wario Land! Hopefully Wario Land may land in the US tomorrow? A man can dream!

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Of the three titles in trilogy, I'll put my hand down and say this title is the best. Dream Land 3 felt empty and rehashed...and shorter...and repetitive...

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Well I havent gotten the first one, and I would buy this one if it wasnt for the fact that I already have 3D Classics Kirbys Adventure and The Amazing mirror. At this point in time though any VC game is good news.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

@Bass_XO I've had such a terrible day at work, I come back and watch that video and I'm in stitches. Thank you!

Yeah I might have to get this, become a huge Kirby fan recently. Can he not yet copy abilities in this game?

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I'd like to see the Pokemon gold/silver or atleast yellow (With multiplayer, or at least the trades) and Zelda oracle of Ages/seasons after this. I like gameboy games and all but I'd like to see some more GBC games released. (Or better yet release the GBA games to the public!)

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@chewytapeworm: #22 Yes, Kirby has the copy ability in KDL2. The copy ability became a part of Kirby, since Kirby's Adventure on the Nes, in '93.

I seriously hope Nintendo makes a Super Gameboy emulator, & distributes their roms w/ it, via eShop VC purchases. KDL2 was a SGB enhanced title: It had a few different color schemes, that dynamically switched when you entered different areas, wind blowing on the over-over-world map, & thunder booming at Dark Castle. Also the clapping on the title screen. Edit: It also had a border. I haven't yet actually purchased anything from the eShop. Everything I've d/l'd was either free, or a Club Nintendo game. I'd be more inclined to d/l this, if it came w/ it's SGB enhancements. Glad it's coming anyway, though.

& that pea-green color palette is a little off. The original Gameboy put out more of a yellowish-green palette.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Good news! And I heard Japan will also get Kid Icarus 2 pretty soon. Hopefully we Europeans get those games soon too!

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

A great move by Nintendo of Japan. I still have the original cartridge and while I liked the first one a lot, the second one blew it out of the water. Everyone should get this if they never played it before.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I meant Myths and Monsters. That can be considered Kid Icarus 2, right?

As for a source: I did read it on this website. I believe at the latest article about Japanese VC.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Was Kirby's Dream Land 2 actually realeased in Europe back in the day? I remember playing my mate's US import copy (thumbs up to the Game Boy for being region free :D ) but never seeing it on sale anywhere here in any of the normal outlets, otherwise I'd have likely bought my own copy as I had the original and Kirby's Pinball Land already.

Either way, ,I'll get this if it turns up on the 3DS VC over here. :)

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

@ToxieDogg(37.): Yupp, still have it in my collection.
If i want to play it one day and the battery doesn't work anymore i hope i can download this in Europe. :)

Imagine23

Imagine23 said:

I wonder if it would be possible to upload Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble on the eshop because of the gyroscope?