Kid Icarus AR Cards Come with a Tasty Treat

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Japanese obesity set to soar

Nintendo of America recently teased us on its official Kid Icarus: Uprising website by confirming that AR events are on the cards, though there were no details on how to get additional cards before these events. If the planned Japanese promotion is anything to go by, it may be time to dig out that old exercise bike.

As reported by Andriasang, Nintendo has teamed up with Takara Tomy to release Kid Icarus: Uprising Choco Snacks. Due for release on 12th March, each pack includes one AR card, out of 20 in total, as well as some tasty-looking chocolate cookies. Each pack will cost ¥100 — approximately 82p or $1.28 — which seems like reasonable value for a card and some fattening treats.

It's unclear whether Nintendo will organise additional promotions and purchasing options for these AR cards, and those of us outside of Japan are yet to find out how they'll be distributed. Do you like the idea of cookies and an AR card in one delightful box?

[via andriasang.com]

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

That combination is pure win :D
cookies and AR cards. I hope they do the same over here in Europe, I doubt it though. :(

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Well sure, Pit's on cookie cards now. But he's never been on bubblegum cards, has he? How could he have mattered if he was never on bubblegum cards?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

That's cool, nothing like getting some cookies with your collectables. I wonder if they're going to be in the game in any way?

I wouldn't be surprised if this deal didn't leave Japan, but I would be pleasantly surprised if it did.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

last year NOA released those kirby treats in parts of the U.S to celebrate the release of kirby's mass attack.

wish we had more stuff and promotions similar to that one and this kid icarus one in europe and U.S.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

@Linkuini
Haha... I see what you did there.
That would be cool. Maybe then I could get away with buying them without my wife harassing me on being a big nerd. :p I mean, it's just cookies, right?

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

THAT'S IT! I'M ORDERING 100 OF THESE!
...
Look at it this way; a dollar a day, for just over 3 months, and you've already bought around 100 of these. SO MANY CARDS! Foams at the mouth

Megajack

Megajack said:

i love it. I think the price should be only 1 doallar though. but the idea of eating cookies and playing my 3ds sounds yummy and fun.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

The cookies look like dog treats. I'd rather get 2 or 3 cards with a box of girl scout cookies, or oreos.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

This has got to be one of Nintendo's more, interesting ideas... But hey, I'm all for tasty chocolate treats with my AR cards!

theJOE

theJOE said:

they should make their own brand of nintendo themed cookies and include all sorts o fAR cards with them

Samholy

Samholy said:

errrrr.... cookies. with AR cards.
this is odd. VERY.

how much will they cost ehre in canada. a fortune like every nintendo sealed products else than games.
heck, small 6 inches mario plush costs 25$ here. ridiculous.

stilll, i will probably end up buying 1 or 2 pack for the sake of trying it. :-p

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

You know, I was expecting the price to be ludicrously high for these, a price of $1.28 makes it almost sound like penny candy. That's awesome.

Lobster

Lobster said:

@Joshers744 Hey, I hope you come back and see this. I saw you posted in another article a couple days ago that you live in WV and don't get any StreetPass hits. Hey, me too, about both! Is there a PM feature on this site?

Anyway, I do admit I love the idea. Kinda reminds me of baseball cards and bubblegum. I hope whatever they do over here, I can eat it, though. It doesn't sound like I can eat the Japanese treats, if they are chocolate cookies. Boo.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

The chocolate will taste terrible and this'll just drag out people wanting to get a certain or all of the cards. Telling it as it is. ;)

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Weird my brother was talking about one of these, for Yugioh cards years ago. Thinking it was absurd.

Skotski

Skotski said:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS"

What I literally said out loud at seeing this news
...

cookies......

NX01Trekkie1992

NX01Trekkie1992 said:

I can't believe I'm going to be the first to point out the similarities to chocolate frogs and wizard cards in Harry Potter

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

ThomasBW84 wrote:
"Do you like the idea of cookies and an AR card in one delightful box?"

Not if it means a migraine every time I want a new Kid Icarus card! All chocolate should be destroyed in the fires of Death Mountain and replaced with cheesecake! :D

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

If japan needs exercise bikes then what in the world does the us need? I'll take the AR cards and cookies anyday, but still america has an obesity problem. And Nintendo wouldnt care because people would possibly buy the game just to see what all of these cards do they just bought...

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

Selling cards and figures with a small sweet is common practice in Japan. Most supermarkets have an entire aisle dedicated to these. There's a higher tax on toys than on confectionery in Japan, so by adding something inside the package they cut back on paying taxes.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I'd prefer fried squid rings. By far.
Won't buy these cookies unless there's a free demo version of 'em!

Aviator

Aviator said:

@YashaTheSlayer Yep, J. K. Rowling was the first person in the world to think of accompanying a collectable with food.

Also, would people really want these cookies? You could probably make better ones yourself, and much cheaper at that.

B-Ray97

B-Ray97 said:

Wait intill they are there.
And print them from internet!
No collecting....