Jump Magazine Forges More Fire Emblem 3DS Details

Posted by James Newton

Free Map returns

If you're anticipating Fire Emblem Kakusei (that's Fire Emblem Awakening in English) for 3DS, you'll be pleased to know a few more details about the upcoming strategy RPG have reached our eyes.

According to Jump Magazine (via Andriasang), the game brings back the free-roaming map system as seen recently in the GBA Ambassador re-release of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, letting players explore the world map to visit shops and engage in battles.

In-battle, Awakening also features the Dual system that lets adjacent characters enter battle together, increasing their attack capabilities.

You also have the ability to create your own custom unit to take onto the battlefield, who will prove an integral part of the story.

Fire Emblem doesn't feature on the most recent release schedules for Europe or North America, but if that changes we'll let you know.

[via andriasang.com]

KAI7321

KAI7321 said:

@MagicEmperor
Nooooooot really. it's pretty 50/50 situation to answer that one. Though as far as Japanese styled RPGs go, it was pretty decent in the sense it didn't rely heavily on the whole "かわいいですね" (It's cute) character stereotypes. Good tactical, Shining Force-styled gameplay!

sgotsch

sgotsch said:

I did just finish Sacred Stones an I'm sooo looking forward to this one here. :x

Bankai

Bankai said:

I'm not happy about this free map business. The thing that made Fire Emblem games good was the fact you couldn't grind out levels to make things easy, you actually needed to be strategic through the whole game.

Oh well, I liked Sacred Stones. I'll like this.

CanWizard

CanWizard said:

im happy about the free map thing
but then again... i found Radiant Dawn's hard mode to be too difficult and i gave up halfway through the third act.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

@Polkadotchocobo

But you COULD always grind out levels to make fire emblem games easy. Whether it be by sacred stones free map, using arenas, or abusing boss characters.

No-one ever forced anyone to do them before, no-ones going to force you to now.

Cipher

Cipher said:

@JarvanZheitk I don't think that's ever been confirmed. Nikkei's original report said it'd use paid DLC but didn't go into specifics, and I don't think Nintendo's even confirmed it'll use paid DLC at all. I wouldn't worry, though: judging by The Sacred Stones I don't see how a free-roaming map could be "added" to the game. It's pretty integral.

Infernapeking

Infernapeking said:

Some of you don't understand what a Free Map is in Fire Emblem. I has nothing to with DLC or anything but the gameplay and story.

You will get your chance after every mission or chapter to gather more items and weapons by going to the previous areas and also to proceed through the story.

YorkshireNed

YorkshireNed said:

OK...

1.I didn't know there was a Fire Emblem planned for 3DS
2.I hadn't even realised there was a "free map" for the Sacred Stones...after all, it was still a linear quest. The "free" map just let you select the next scene/battle

Still, looking forward to it. Hope they get difficulty right. Radiant Dawn was too easy on easy and too hard on normal. Can't even imagine it on hard.

ueI

ueI said:

Sounds like they're keeping my favorite features from other Fire Emblems.

NX01Trekkie1992

NX01Trekkie1992 said:

I hope it gets localised, working my way through Sacred Stones and loving it, it'd be a shame if NA/EU/AU missed out

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

@Cipher good point. I read an article where it mention DLC and the free-map so I assumed the free-map was DLC. Sorry if I caused anyone confusion.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Great, Andriasang. Now, I want to hear more Paper Mario, even though I want to get Kakusei.

AVahne

AVahne said:

I'm really hopeful for this to come out over here, but I have my doubts. Fire Emblem Heroes of Light and Shadow still hasn't even been announced over here, this is the game where having a customized playable character in FE comes from. It also makes no sense to release FE13 here without releasing FE12 here first.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

@18
You may want to change your original comment.
Being the first reply to this article, it's the first thing people will read, and not everyone reads this far into the comments, so many people may walk away from this believing that you have to pay for the map feature.

AVahne

AVahne said:

If FE12 and this don't come over, then it looks like Nintendo's pulling Fire Emblem out of the west.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Thats all good and all but is there gonna have any bloody gore deaths.
When my team mate dies, I really want that person to die a pitful death.
Makes that character have more meaning, also, I want to see a Bezerker hack a flying pony in half.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

regarding DLC; Nintendos 1st mention ever about DLC (not that long ago) was directly related to THIS game... as recorded by Andriasang. It was only after this one that mention of DLC came about for other Nintendo games on the 3ds.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

I hope people don't just make their character some sexy woman as scantily clad as the game will let them make her.

Then again this isn't world of warcraft...............

Also Nintendo you BETTER LOCALIZE THIS FOR NA!

I only have 1 fire emblem and NEED MOAR

Bloodysaber

Bloodysaber said:

Ill be honest; I love Fire Emblem but the animations in the GC and Wii releases felt so stiff and unreal to me. I hope they do better for the 3ds release...

YorkshireNed

YorkshireNed said:

If Nintendo had not given away an old FE game on the 3DS then I might have been pessimistic about this going West but with the suprise appearance of The Sacred Stones on the 3DS ambassador giveaway, I think there is a very serious chance of this coming our way.