Game Gear Games Reach Japan VC Next Month

Posted by James Newton

Are we far behind?

The Japanese 3DS Virtual Console service will get its first Game Gear games next month.

Andriasang reports the service will get its next new system on 14th March, launching with Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble, Dragon Crystal and Shinobi.

The games will cost ¥300 each — that's about £2.40 or $3.75.

Hopefully we'll hear more about European and North American release plans for these games in the upcoming Nintendo Direct shows due to happen today.

[via andriasang.com]

Related Games

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

When I was a lad Game Gear was an exotic luxury that I always wanted, as a Megadrive nut at the time. I'm really looking forward to trying some of these out, particularly Shinobi.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

As a kid I don't ever think I saw a game gear. I never knew anyone with one. Everyone had a game boy. I actually don't even remember wanting any of the games on the console, so when news came out that game gear games would come on the VC service, I thought "huh, thats neat", but then kinda tossed the information away mentally. I guess I'll wait and see what comes out before looking into it further.

Wesker

Wesker said:

@Tsuchinoko "As a kid I don't ever think I saw a game gear. I never knew anyone with one. Everyone had a game boy."

People had them, only, you never saw them because they were at home next to a power socket.

Wesker

Wesker said:

@James "SEGA turncoat James once pledged he’d never own a Nintendo console"

I was the same. Until I experienced Goldeneye. That's what turned me, well that, and the 32X, Mega CD and Sega Saturn. Sega must have thought kids in the West were millionaires!

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Billy Were they famous for being a power-suck? Seems like it.

What were the big games for the console? Other than the 6 that have already been announced for the 3DS and a few sonic games I don't know of any.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@James The SNES, that was some gorgeousness right there. Yoshi's Island, A Link to the Past, Earthbound (Mother 2), Super Mario RPG, Mega Man X, Super Metroid, Star Fox, Actraiser, Chrono Trigger, the Final Fantasies, Donkey Kong Country 2&3, blah blah I know, I'm acting like such a fanboy, but that's some epic memories right there. haha

Wesker

Wesker said:

@Tsuchinoko Yes, the battery life was disasterous. They really had no right in marketing it as a portable games console, let alone a portable television as well. The only game I really liked was Sonic, but I didn't play enough to make a fair judgement.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

While I truly feel the SNES was the best system ever, I had friends with the mega drive, and that had some good games on it. I'm curious about the game gear, since I know Sega is capable of good things.

pikku

pikku said:

Is that $3.75 before tax? Please say it is, I have $3.84 on my account right now D:

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

@Tsuchinoko
that would be very dissappointing because a second wave of GG titles may take a very long time to reach the Virtual Console. Nintendo is very slow with their releases.