Catch a Shiny Pokémon at the National Championships

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Everyone's a winner

For some of you, the tease from Pokémon director Junichi Masuda will be enough to get your juices flowing. In the world of Pokémon, however, there is very often even more to get you excited.

The Pokémon Company International has today released a press statement offering the opportunity for competitors at the 2012 Pokémon Video Game National Championships to receive a rare shiny Larvitar. All that's required is a copy of either Pokémon Black or White and attendance at the event.

Those interested in competing in the championships can get all of the details at the competition's website: don't forget to change the region as necessary at the bottom of the page.

The press release with full details of the shiny Larvitar's abilities is below, as well as a trailer for the Birmingham event.

The Pokémon Company International today announced that there will be a unique character distribution at the 2012 Pokémon™ Video Game National Championships taking place across Europe during March and April. Attendees will be able to walk away with a rare Shiny Larvitar, a Rock- and Ground-type Pokémon with unusual colouring. Players will need to bring along their copy of the Pokémon Black Version or Pokémon White Version game and their Nintendo DS™, Nintendo DSi™, Nintendo DSi XL™, or Nintendo 3DS™ system to receive this unique distribution.

This Shiny Larvitar knows the powerful Fighting-type move Superpower, which can only be learned in Pokémon HeartGold or Pokémon SoulSilver from a special tutor. It also comes holding a useful Chople Berry, which is difficult to obtain in the games. Larvitar can eventually evolve into Tyranitar, which, thanks to its strong stats and its Ability to kick up an unending Sandstorm, has been a very popular character since its introduction in Pokémon Gold Version and Pokémon Silver Version in 2000.

For more information about the 2012 Pokémon Video Game National Championships, including full conditions of entry, tournament locations, dates and times, prizes, and more, please visit: www.pokemon.co.uk/vgc

Contrary

Contrary said:

Gotta win this. I have beat both Super Single and Super Double battle subways!

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

Hmm, I went to one of these a few years ago and lost in the first round. Now that I'm not in the Junior League... Hmm. I'll wait a few years, try out IV training, so on so forth.

Oh well.

AutumnShantel

AutumnShantel said:

It's cool and all, but I'll really only be happy with the ones I catch myself; I don't want events or other people's from trading. I caught Pidgey and Ekans three days apart from each other playing FireRed, and never seen one in the wild since. lol

SuperLink

SuperLink said:

I was playing Diamond once, (and I still didn't really understand the strategic elements of Pokémon, and a whole bunch of other stuff about it), and I got to the tower just south of the town with the day-care, and I ran into a ghastly. But this ghastly was different, it was blue, and it sparkled when it came on the screen. Being young, I thought, "Huh...that's weird...meh, it's probably just what all the ghastlies look like in this game, I'll just kill it." I didn't realize until years later, that that was a shiny ghastly, and it was at that moment that I realized how rare shinies are, how awesome it could have been to have a SHINY GENGAR, and how much it hurts to punch myself in the face for being an idiot kid who knocked out a shiny ghastly.

I never have, nor will I ever forgive myself...

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

So for someone like me, who is competitive, this is great news! One of the top-ranked Pokemon, now easily shiny? But... is it at the Regionals or Nationals. I myself am attending Regionals, so hopefully it'll be avalible there.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Larvitars are lame until they evolve... Twice, however I would do anything for a shiny Pokemon, although technically I didn't catch it. Although one day I did find a shiny Deerling, which is weird because it already has 4 forms, today that Deerling is in my party.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Get Shiny Larvitar, look at it's stats, Modest Nature, check IVs, all below 10, put in box and never look at again.

Megajack

Megajack said:

i bet i can win. mabye... ive got swampert, slaking, venasaur, arceus, garatina, and lastly, infernape. all lvl 100

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

How the FIRETRUCK are you suposed to "catch em all" if they keep adding more pokemon!!!! Now no one is complete with black & white, if anyone had caught all 700 pokemon in the first place O____O