Yet Another Zelda Timeline Proposed

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

An alternative perspective

Late last year it emerged that Nintendo had finally produced an official timeline for The Legend of Zelda series, though the final result didn't necessarily make sense to everyone. Any timeline that splits three ways is always going to cause plenty of debate.

An artist called Zac Gorman decided that, official timeline or not, an alternative was required. This version, below, incorporates some lesser-known Zelda lore, with most of the references likely to only make sense to those of a certain age.

For anyone in doubt, this is a humourous fan-produced timeline, so not to be taken seriously.

Untitled

[via magicalgametime.com]

NX01Trekkie1992

NX01Trekkie1992 said:

the real kicker is, it actually makes more sense than that bullcrap timeline they released last month

Angel_Fur

Angel_Fur said:

Anyone confused by the Zelda timeline should check out Hideo Kojima's attempt to explain the Metal Gear timeline. There's a database you can download on PS3 with several thousand utterly nonsensical cross-referenced entries in it. Makes Zelda seem quite straightforward ... :)

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Everyone annoyed about a Zelda timeline that doesnt make exact sense should be quiet and start enjoying the games - not worrying about a trivial piece of information that was likely not completely considered when these games were being made originally.

lord_hades

lord_hades said:

wait how come links an adult in SS but a kid in OOT is it possible that link and zelda had a child before OOT and when the civil war broke out princess zelda escaped with her child, and link senior died in battle and that links unknown mother is zelda, then in the future link jr grew up and became known as just link but the zelda he knew was another zelda in the royal family who just happened to look like the zelda in ss.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

I see people are still hurt that Nintendo hasn't taken their timeline suggestions and made them reality. Just play the games, it's not worth thinking too hard about continuity if it makes you that angry :3

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but before this turns into an actual, serious debate, I direct you all to the last line in the article ;)

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Tom: You'd think the MSpaint-scrawled "Timeline v2.0" toward the top and inclusion of CD-i titles would be the biggest clues, but i guess not? :3
the 'excused or not' split had me dying over here, lol

jkshaz

jkshaz said:

@sudino nah I just have trouble caring about something that appears blatantly retrofitted into the series. Which is why I enjoyed this one so much it doesn't take itself too seriously (or seriously at all for that matter). I just play the games and enjoy them. I could care less how/if their fragmented stories fit together. I take each as its own separate piece.

lonlon-milker

lonlon-milker said:

And the three golden goddesses did grin and the people feasted on pheasants and plumbs and breakfast cereals.....wait we ate link! Gosh darn it just through the holy hand grenade we,ve caused enough trouble.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

i just love the games. the timeline stuff never bothered me. tends to give me a headache, to be honest.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Yasha: Yes, the bullcrap timeline that was actually the true timeline and not one of yours. Sure ;)

Dak_n_Jaxter

Dak_n_Jaxter said:

I cant believe people think this is this guys real idea of a timeline. He's joking......laugh. Thought it was pretty damn funny

ueI

ueI said:

It's funny, but I dislike his categorization of the good, okay, and amazing Zelda games. I get to follow the "good" branch, by the way, because I don't get the Book of Kordai reference.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@uel: the Book of Kordai was from the Faces of Evil CD-i game — that's the book that Link throws at Ganon to imprison him at the end of the game, lol. :3
kinda wishing i didn't know that, though, because i loves me some Phantom Hourglass :(

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

lol this is awesome. And also proves why Nintendo should have never released the timeline to the public. They sort of shot themselves in the knee with that one.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

they should remake the breakfest cereal :P id love to eat that but i wasnt born when it release lol

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

This one is more confusing as connected games are together but I like the joke

Galaxia-Master

Galaxia-Master said:

This is the weirdest timeline ever. I think it's not even right. But at least the CD-i games are included.... Nintendo should have done that!

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

And after all the hilarity, the games I've played are categorized correctly! This must be correct!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

A "certain" age, you say? Well, I'm 22, and I got every reference. That's right, the series is older than me and I STILL knew it all, so there! :P

Also...You imprisoned Ganon in...the enclosed instruction book! YouTube has it all for CDi crap. :D

Swiket

Swiket said:

@theblackdragon Not to mention putting Majora's Mask and Wind Waker as a "good Zelda game" but claiming Ocarina of Time is "amazing." That's just being silly.

SageWaterDragon

SageWaterDragon said:

Of a certain age? I am 12 and I get all of these references! Seriously, the thing about the excused or not excused cracked me up.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Oh my Gosh. It's like trying to piece together Erica Kane's marriages and kids' lineages from All My Children. lol ;)

Jfilesguy

Jfilesguy said:

Great stuff!

Now based on the time line, I should stop my game of Ocarina of Time, Link's Awakining, A Link to the Past, and the Legend of Zelda and start to play more Minish Cap, darn you youtube poop!

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

I giggled the whole way through! :D

But there's a couple more branches of the timeline still left to fill:

-In one branch, a delinquent named Link goes on a quest to...ahem...'save' Hyrule. He enters the five secret ruins of old Hyrule and steps on a switch in each. The first switch rips Hyrule Castle from the north and drops it into the middle of Hyrule Field, crushing Lon Lon Ranch in the process. The second sucks the Lost Woods into a space-time anomaly, forming a huge crater, and the rip in the fabric of Hyrule causes Death Mountain to erupt and destroy Kakariko Village. The third freezes the water in Lake Hylia, causing it to float into the aforementioned crater, and thus forming the new Lake Hylia, and also turns the Zoras into hideous energy-ball-spitting mutants. The fourth expands the Gerudo Desert into where the old Lake Hylia once was and somehow changes its name to the Desert of Mystery. The fifth switch spits the Lost Woods back into reality where Hyrule Castle once stood and fills it with Rupee-pinching thieves, and also changes Hyrule Castle Town's name to Kakariko Village. Princess Zelda then learns that Link is just Ganondorf's alter-ego, and she accidentally transforms him into the wizard Agahnim and is thrown into the dungeon.

-In another branch, Link's personality splits him into three copies of himself, and he, Zelda and Ganondorf are sucked into a dimension where they are turned into plastic toys on a child's desk. After mastering their powers of trophiness, they fight each other (as well as a bunch of other fighters from across the multiverse), before they turn on their new masters, a pair of white gloves.

And that's my take on the Zelda timeline. :3

Amorous_Badger

Amorous_Badger said:

I think I speak for all of us who play games AND occasionally go outdoors and/or talk to girls when I say 'this falls under the umbrella of 's**t no-one cares about"

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

The whole thing is funny, (but to me) esp. the non-canon extra-universe stuff ~ Zelda, & Captain N cartoons in particular, Mario&Zelda cereal, & the Cdi games. Those Nintendo cartoons of the late 80's-early 90's were good @ the time in an I-was-little-back-then-&-it-was-awesome sense, & are good now in a nostalgic, & humor-@-how-bad/inaccurate-they-were sense. Also as a sidenote: Captain N is where my user name comes from, not the pronunciation of the word cap-tain.

Also, I seem to recall, but could be wrong, that, when Nintendo made games in the 80's, they made the gameplay first, & then made a story second only for the purpose of supplementing the gameplay. Now I could be wrong, or that could be one of those tales, like the debunked "Seal of Quality meant great games" thinking.

Even if that's not the case, it's not a real issue. The games are fun, & that's what's important. But this is funny. Also, for anyone not familar w/ Mario/Zelda cereal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSNCYjccv20&feature=related