UK's Best-Selling Games of 2011 Revealed

Posted by James Newton

Nintendo misses all-format top 10

Now 2011's over and done with, the Association for United Kingdom Interactive Entertainment — UKIE for short — has revealed the best-selling games across all formats last year.

To nobody's surprise, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 was the best-selling game of the year, but what's most surprising is the all-formats top ten doesn't include a single Nintendo-published game, in stark contrast to last year where Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort landed in the top ten.

There were games for Nintendo consoles in the top ten, but nothing from the Big N itself. Anyway, here are the ten best-selling games in the UK for 2011:

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, Wii, DS)
2. FIFA 12 (360, PS3, PC, PSP, 3DS, Wii, DS)
3. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)
4. Zumba Fitness (360, PS3, Wii)
5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)
6. Just Dance 3 (360, PS3, Wii)
7. Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC)
8. L.A. Noire (360, PS3, PC)
9. Saints Row: The Third (360, PS3, PC)
10. Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I only see 3 games i'd absolutely want to play on here, and they're all in the mid-to-lower half. Way to ride the hype train whoever's buying most of these... >_>

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

I'm honestly not surprised. Skyward Sword is really the only Nintendo-published game this year to even have a chance at the top 10 list and going up against multi-platform blockbusters like Call of Duty, Skyrim, and Battlefield certainly wouldn't help any. The 3DS doesn't have the install base to push Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 into the top 10 and as great as Kirby is its definitely not a title that sells in the same leage as a top 10.

I'm not too optimistic about 2012 either since Nintendo hasn't announced anything really worthwhile outside of Xenoblade, which the UK already got and I don't see selling the millions needed to crack the top 10 anyway. All I can think of for 2012 at the moment is Mario Party and Rhythm Heaven and those are barely mildly interesting. I'm not really expecting major from Nintendo till the Wii-U and unless the Wii U sees the same rabid sales as the Wii did, I doubt any exclusive Wii U game will have a crack at the top 10.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

What's this? MW3 and FIFA at the top!!!!???? No sh*t Sherlock!!
Glad to see Skyrim up there though, pretty good for a Fantasy RPG.
No Zelda is disappointing but really no surprise. These things matter little to me.One look at the music charts shows that bland s**t sells well, don't mean there ain't some great music out there though. :)

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

Let's see these games number in a year... Nintendo games sell massive number over time, not all at once like the competition. I wouldn't be surprised if MK7, SM3DL, and Zelda outsold most of these by this time next year.

Hokori

Hokori said:

@10 couldnt agree with you more, besides Japans top 10 sales chart is the only one that matters to me

Ren

Ren said:

not surprising. It's time for HD, Nintendo. They better be putting in some long days on that WiiU.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

And of the ten games, only two are original (not sequels) games.

I have a PS3 and I haven't bought any of these. I was too busy enjoying Skyward Sword. Batman is definitely on my list, but I can still wait to see if the Wii U version will be worth it.

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

Replace Zumba & Just Dance w/ Skyward Sword and SM3DL and I might be able to believe this.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Disappointing to see Batman at no. 10 (should be way higher), and Super Mario 3D Land, Nintendo's best game this year, miss the list completely.

gabrielwoj

gabrielwoj said:

Much people today only enjoys "FPS"... See the list, most of the games are FPS.
People, FPS have a lot here, there are no mystery the game, just shoot in the players and people. Maybe some of the list are puzzles, some

Thwiidscube

Thwiidscube said:

Ugh... all I hear is Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty.... thanks for it being #1! -_-