Team Ninja Reveals Wii U Evolution

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

New features in the shadows

Last week we heard from Street Fighter IV producer Yoshinori Ono, who stated that the Wii U is more capable than what we saw at E3. Ono said he couldn't reveal more due to fear of Nintendo assassins, by which he may be referring to previous Nintendo collaborators Team Ninja.

In an interview with Nintendo Gamer magazine, and as reported by CVG, Team Ninja's Fumihiko Yasuda and Yosuke Hayashi revealed a little about developing Ninja Gaiden 3 for Wii U, while also joining the chorus to say the the console has improved since its original announcement.

We're finding it very similar to develop for Wii U as for Xbox 360 and PS3. They've asked us what we would want from the hardware, and when we give them feedback we can see that they're definitely listening to it and making changes. The hardware is still constantly changing.

The Wii U's touch control is like the Nintendo DS's. We released a Ninja Gaiden game, Dragon Sword, on DS, so we want to introduce some elements from that into the Wii U version (of Ninja Gaiden 3).

The comparison to the DS may seem an obvious one, but is perhaps a good indication of how Ninja Gaiden 3 will be played. What do you think about these comments? Is it good or bad that development is very similar to Xbox 360 and PS3, in terms of the console's capabilities? Would you like influences from Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword to make their way into a console title?

[via computerandvideogames.com]

Ryno

Ryno said:

How will the Wii U controller be used to make them jiggle?

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

What I find most interesting in that is the comparison to DS... not 3DS. Does that mean the screen is pressure sensitive like the 3DS' should have been?

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I hope developers don't think this means because everyone likes the touch-screen it ok for touch based controls (Like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks).

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Go, go assassins ! :D
Hearing that once again makes it sound like it would be pretty easy to port stuff from PS360 to WiiU. This is why i wondered about the no show of the new Tomb Raider game.

SLiM

SLiM said:

They need to be making Other M 2! We need a bionic arm peripheral.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I don't trust Team Ninja, they told me that I was going to get the best Metroid games ever. I was more than slightly disappointed.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

Other M 2 could be cool - think about instead of having the controller turn to have a first person view, you just raise the second screen to act as a gun sight. It could be epic. Just take out those dumb "where is it?" portions and make Samus a again. Other M was really not that bad except for those two flaws.

joevox316

joevox316 said:

Well this was an annoying series of comments to read through. Come on guys! Don't turn NL into IGN for crying out loud! (EDIT: lol some of the comments were edited.)

Anyway...I hope the Wii U touch controls are different than the DS's. I remember all those creepy "touching is good" promos. When I finally got my DS there was no way I was going to smudge it, and no way I could because it really only worked properly with the stylus, not your finger tip. We shall see.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Haha, I hear you, joevox316. I technically left IGN and came here for a change.

For me the most important part of this article is this little quote

"They've asked us what we would want from the hardware"

It is awesome to hear Nintendo is looking for third party input for their new system, so hopefully that makes it easier to see plenty of third party quality games.

@ bro2dragons

I guess they compared it to the DS because there is a Ninja Gaiden for DS, and none for 3DS.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

The physics in Team Ninja's boob technology is completely unrealistic but the jiggling sure is hypnotic.

paburrows

paburrows said:

Wasn't the DS Ninja Gaiden a bad game? I never played it, but from all the reviews I decided to pass on it.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Anyway, still interested in this title and i can't wait for E3 to hopefully see what other games the Wii U will get in its launch period.
@Gamesake(12.): Guess you're right. It's just a little bummer when you think the Wii U (and the 3DS) should be some kind of new beginning for third parties. Hope the majority of 'em sees it this way.

Omenapoika

Omenapoika said:

Does this mean that the touch screen uses the same old technology as DS and can only be pressed at one point at once? D:

DanteSolablood

DanteSolablood said:

Does this mean that if I glue thw Wii U controller to my HD TV I can have the DS HD that I always wanted!? Awesome! I can't wait to get out there and start bumping into them lamp posts! Again...

Ultranintendofanboy

Ultranintendofanboy said:

No i dun like ds implementions on mah bUtton mashing gams!!!
o_O .... Well wut can I do..... nintendo in my opinion isn't just as great as it was like 14 years ago unfortunetly -_-