Rising Star Explains Rune Factory: Oceans Wii No-Show

Posted by James Newton

"Wasn't on the table"

Rising Star Games just announced its 2012 line-up, but while it's bringing Rune Factory: Oceans on PlayStation 3 to Europe, Rune Factory: Oceans for Wii is missing from the publisher's slate.

We asked product marketing manager Yen Hau why Wii owners in Europe won't be able to continue their Rune Factory adventures.

Rising Star Games have always had, and continue to have, a strong relationship with Nintendo and its products. We will always look to publish products on Nintendo platforms and try our best to bring PAL gamers the titles they want to play. Unfortunately, it is regrettable that this time the Wii version of Rune Factory Oceans was not on the table for us.

It's undeniably disappointing that Wii gamers will miss out while PlayStation 3 owners will get the fully localised game, but with five 3DS games on Rising Star's 2012 schedule — including Harvest Moon 3D: The Tale of Two Towns — it's clear the publisher is behind Nintendo.

What's your take on Rune Factory: Oceans not coming to Europe on Wii?

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Noooooooo! I want this one! Import time. :| Erm should we start a petition or something? I really enjoyed the original, a very pleasant surprise.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

That didn't explain anything, I don't see why they won't be bringing the Wii version to Europe as the PS3 version is out in Q2 and there's no way that the Wii U will be out by then.

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Wait, did it come out in NA already? According to the info bar, it has D:

Oregano

Oregano said:

Why wasn't it on the table? NA got the Wii version... I'm even more confused now!:'(

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@James Saying that it wasn't on the table doesn't really explain anything so I was just trying to think of what actual reasons they might have.

James

James said:

@Oregano Yep, NA got the Wii version, but that's only one language: PAL obviously needs more languages, that equals more testing, ratings etc., and that gets expensive.

@mariofanatic128 It's a complicated situation but I can tell you it had nothing to do with Wii U or PS3 :)

Oregano

Oregano said:

@James but the PS3 version is exactly the same? and they are not actually required to do more language; Tales of the Abyss is only in English.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@Oregano Namco were pretty lazy with localization for Tales of the abyss, I wouldn't be surprised if the script is exactly the same as the NA version as I've noticed some American spellings in it.

DigitalGreentea

DigitalGreentea said:

"...the Wii version of Rune Factory Oceans was not on the table for us."
So I guess it was on the table for.. Ubisoft? LOL

North99

North99 said:

Doesn't bother me one bit :) No seizure-ific controls with the PS3. I'm glad the games I like are shifting over to a non-tourettes-style controller-based system.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Hope another publisher get their hands on Rune Factory Oceans for Wii and publish this game in Europe (same for Arc Rise Fantasia). Doesn't matter to me if it's just the American version ported over. The rest in Rising Stars schedule isn't for me. Already got the 6 BIT.TRIPs on WiiWare and not into handheld gaming. As for the back catalogue, I'm still looking for Rising Stars Wii games Baroque and Ivy the Kiwi and maybe Ju-On and Rygar. I have Eldar Saga, No More Heroes 1&2, Little King's Story, Muramasa, Fragile Dreams, Harvest Moon and of course Rune Factory Frontier.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Wish Nintendo itself would take notice on this one... I am Portuguese and would be just fine with English only text and voices.

bahooney

bahooney said:

Meh, you guys got Xenoblade, Last Story, and that demo of cooking mama today. I'd say we're even. :3

ueI

ueI said:

@James and Shiryu: As far as I know, it is up to Nintendo to decide what they do and don't publish. They may have zero experience with Rune Factory, but that doesn't mean they can't start now, right? Even though I don't live in Europe and don't care for Rune Factory, I don't understand Rising Star's explanation. If the PS3 and wii versions have the same script, they should be able to translate both.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

This feels so backwards. Rising Star publishes games late or you don't get them. Why can't people release a game in every region.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Well, I guess it's a good thing I wasn't planning to buy this one anyway. :P

Ayer99

Ayer99 said:

This game was by no means bad, but it felt much more bland to me than Frontier. Farming isn't nearly as fun and combat isn't much better..... There are cooler dungeons though, so I guess you Europeans have that to look forward to if this ever goes your way (which it absolutely should). :D

amerilia

amerilia said:

Sounds kinda like "Same old, same old" nowadays if you ask me. Another game bypasses the Wii. It has always been like this; it's just worse now than it used to be.

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

That's a shame, I've played the Wii version and it's very addicting. I maxed out the clock before I even finished it.

odd69

odd69 said:

Yea Im just getting into rune factory myself, sucks for the wii players who cant get this though.

MattL

MattL said:

Talk about disappointed, been keeping an eye out for this title for months. I love Rune Factory Frontier, it's easily my most played Wii game. Guess I'll stare forlornly out the window for a while and find solace in the raindrops.