Punch-Out!! is Japan's Next NES 3DS VC Game

Posted by James Newton

OK?

NES pugilist title Punch-Out!! is the next game coming to Japan's 3DS Virtual Console.

Due next week for 500 Yen, it's the third NES game to join the service but the first that wasn't released to 3DS Ambassadors: both Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda are available to buy in Japan.

Looks like hopes for a 3D Classics: Punch-Out!! just took a pretty hefty blow.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

kinda surprised that they also release nes games that havent been in the ambassador program

James

James said:

I guess they'll have to or the NES Virtual Console will only have 10 games :)

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

I think they might still make a 3D Classics version somewhere down the line. What I think is less likely is the games that come out as 3DS Classics first getting a VC release on the 3DS after, as from Nintendo's point of view they would have already given us a superior/definitive version.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I think Nintendo is doing a great job with the 3DS VC, but they should focus more on past handheld games in my opinion. The NES titles coming are most likely already on the Wii, so...

joevox316

joevox316 said:

I'm with @kyuubikid213. I really don't care about seeing NES games come to the 3DS VC. Leave those for the Wii (you know, an actual console). If they focus more on handheld games maybe we won't have to wait 8 more months before we start seeing some Game Gear games!

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Also, I bet Japan will get the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels) really soon as well, and they will also get Virtual Console Arcade games sometime in the 3DS's life as well.

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

I dont they would release a 3D classic version and a Nes VC version, more likely to release a retail sequel to the wii version...
touch control fighting AND Gyroscopic controls for ducking and dodging with the graphics n style of the wii version would work.

robohobo93

robohobo93 said:

I still think it would make more sense to release NES games as 3D Classics, since the 3DS VC was supposed to focus on handheld games, but I guess it won't be too bad as long as they just stick with first-party titles.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Well this is great news. Kinda confirms more NES games are coming.
Also I must say - why were people still expecting this to be a 3D-Classic?
6 have already been released, Nintendo are unlikely to make more.

@2 They never confirmed more NES games for general release, just like GBA games. There was no way to know this was coming, unless you're expecting more GBA games to be coming in soon as well.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

i was suprised that punch out never made the 3DS ambassador list.
i`m just glad it`s made the eshop VC atleast, albeit in japan.
although i think we`re going to see the same trend on the 3DS as we`ve seen on the wii, japan will storm ahead with the games that are made available, while everywhere else is constantly playing catch up.
i wish NoA and NoE would get their acts together so that we aren`t trailing months behind. sometimes it bothers me when retail games can get a world wide release with in days of each other, yet downloads take forever.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

I'll take non-3D Classics Punch-Out!! over no Punch-Out!!. Plus it won't be as overpriced this way.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

So it's official now, the NES is now a part of the 3DS VC outside of the Ambassador games. Would be nice if we could have the option to transfer our Wii NES games over, but meh.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Awwww damn it.I mis-read this and thought it was a 3D classic. VC. no thanks ,already have this on Wii.
This would be sweet in 3D........

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

I wish for Super Mario Bros 3 on 3DSVC, seeing as Punch Out gets to see the light on 3DSVC.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

One of my favorite games of all time, and one of my favorite franchises ever....yet I Already have it on the NES and Wii's VC. Plus there's no Mike Tyson which automatically makes it inferior. :p

Too bad this isn't a '3D Classic' because then i would blast down the cashOla faster than sugar poppin Sonic the Hedgehog.

As is, i have zero interest in playing NES games on the 3DS. That's with the Wii's for, after all these are Console games ment to be played on a TV. Nintendo's kind of stealing away that virtual console NES magic from the Wii in doing so. They're just milking it. And for me, playing NES games in portable form just doesn't retain the awesomeness, magic or feel when playing on the Tube, at least for me anyways. :p

Stick to GB, GBC, GBA and whatever other 'handheld' titles you plan on releasing Nintendo.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

Wow! After a hideous start to the 3DS eShop, Nintendo is kickin butt...so long as this gets stateside. Punch Out is def. on my Top 5 Most Wanted NES games

iphys

iphys said:

Well, now I'm sad this wasn't an ambassador game. I was hopeful before that we would get a 3D Classic version, so I took it as a good sign when it wasn't one of the ambassador titles. I might still buy it again anyway, but this was one game I really wanted to see as a 3D Classic for sure. I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for a new 3DS version of Punch-Out!!

Jumpman

Jumpman said:

Does this mean that the 3DS Virtual Console will also have NES games like the Wii Virtual Console?

Henmii

Henmii said:

I still think it's a waste of space, releasing a nes game on the 3DS VC. I mean: They are already on Wii VC and every nes game on 3DS VC is one gb/gbc game less!!

millarrp

millarrp said:

I would prefer this to be a 3d classic, but I guess beggers can't be choosers's....

Kreegs07

Kreegs07 said:

I will buy it if it comes to the US. The lag on the VC version made it pretty much unplayable for me.

DoctorWho

DoctorWho said:

As someone who doesn't own a Wii, quite selfishly, i'm happy that NES games at least seem to be coming to 3DS VC. I couldn't care less about the 3D Classics after the treatment of Kirby given the frame it was presented in rather than full screen. If we're just going to get 3D Classics in the stock standard VC window, then just release the NES games as VC games so we can more of them rather than the 4 per year or so. The Ambassador NES games look great, so I don't see for a second why more NES releases as part of the VC range is in any manner a bad thing. If anything, it could be the right step toward a universal Nintendo Online Store.

James

James said:

FYI you can delete your own posts if you double-post — there's a "Delete" button about once inch left of the "Report" button :)

Bazly

Bazly said:

This game would be IDEAL for 3D Classics. They should be focussing on that. I love Nintendo but they make stupid decisions sometimes...

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

For some reason, two of the above links prompt for user authentication. Perhaps this is due to the ".beta" in the urls?