Ocarina of Time Project Underway in Minecraft

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Not a typical remake

It seems that the gaming community just can't get enough of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time with yet another remake, of sorts, on the way.

For those who aren't aware, Minecraft is a PC title with simplistic, sprite-based graphics that allows almost unhindered freedom and exploration. It's been a big hit with user customisation integral to the experience, leading to many gamers creating their own worlds and adventures. The attraction of Ocarina of Time was enough to encourage one fan to create their own 'HyruleCraft' version of the game, with some grand goals:

The Hyrulecraft multiplayer server will feature many RPG and MMO aspects such as quests, classes, experience and leveling, and a fan-written storyline that continues the story after the events of OOT's child timeline.

This raises some interesting ideas for potential Nintendo titles in the future. Could there be an open-world title on Wii U that would be a mix of the character mash-up in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and the freedom to create levels and missions through online communities? The mind boggles at the idea, but below is a trailer of HyruleCraft to show how far a fan's dedication can go.

[via planetminecraft.com]

NX01Trekkie1992

NX01Trekkie1992 said:

so going to have to download that map to try out, whenever I get around to playing Minecraft anymore, I work on my 'shipyard' I'm building to build replicas of Star Trek vessels

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I played in that world. Pretty neat. They're planning on bringing an online server this fall. They still have to construct some dungeons. JabuJabu is not going to be made, though :(

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

Inglorious =p

Actually much more convincing then I expected though that stone texture is a bit jarring. I find though Minecraft really shines with original designs. You can work around the limitations of the game.

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

that's nice and all. But why not take that time and make your own game? I mean we already have ocarina of time lol...

Wamtu

Wamtu said:

Intimidating! (Heh, the blocky graphics almost looks just like the original.)

Noire

Noire said:

Finally I will be able to fufill my dream of playing a Gerudo thief.