NPD Group Reveals America's 2011 Best-Sellers

Posted by James Newton

Where's Nintendo?

After we brought you the UK's best-selling games of 2011, the NPD Group has revealed the biggest sellers for the United States.

In a truly shocking event, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 outsold the rest, but Ubisoft's rival juggernaut threequel Just Dance 3 edged into second place.

As with the UK charts, there are no Nintendo-published games in the full-year top ten, though Ubisoft's Wii-exclusive Just Dance 2 came in at number nine.

Full-Year 2011 Top 10 Retail Games

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
2. Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3)
3. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)
4. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)
5. Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2)
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, DS, PC)
7. Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)
8. Gears of War 3 (360)
9. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
10. Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC)

In the month of December Nintendo's big portable releases snuck inside the top ten — Mario Kart 7 grabbed fourth while Super Mario 3D Land climbed up to ninth place after missing the top ten in its first month.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword would have placed at number ten if the chart used single SKUs, instead of combining sales for games that are released on multiple platforms.

December 2011 Top 10 Retail Games

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
2. Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3)
3. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)
4. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
5. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)
6. Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2)
7. Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC)
8. NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC)
9. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
10. Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)

[via eurogamer.net]

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Wow, gaming has passed me by. Not one game in that top list do I own or would I own. Yikes. Might be time for me to pack it in and just stick with my 16-bit rig from here on out. :D

Mahe

Mahe said:

Just Dance 3 is the best Wii game of the year, and it's right there on the list. Nintendo really missed the boat by releasing only Zelda and not stuff like a Wii Sports successor.

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

"1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)"
No surprise, most people don't have fun unless they are shooting someone blowing something/someone up.

It's sad really... :(

ElFlorro

ElFlorro said:

Okay this is sad. With the Wii U in mind, I hope that Modern Warfare 4 will top next year's charts, hopefully for Nintendo's console... One is still allowed to have dreams, no? :)

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Not even pokemon made it. And this year could be slower, especially with no major releases, like metroid, and Mario.

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

I guess I'm not a core gamer anymore, although I bought Pokemon White, a 3DS, six 3DS games and Skyward Sword this year.

Wildvine53

Wildvine53 said:

Yes, Just Dance 3 is #2 for the year! I'm really surprised Pokemon didn't make it.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

As I said on the article about the UK version of this, the Japanese version of this is so much more pleasing to look at.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Glad to see Gears of War 3 made it on the list. Easily the best multiplayer game I've played this year.

Lan

Lan said:

Jeez, the only game I'd consider buying on that list is Skyrim.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

One could argue anymore whether the term "core gamer" refers to a static kind of gamer; I mean "core" always into a certain thing/group, or if "core gamer" now is a term that refers to a set/specific genre/taste, or market bias. Actually, the same could be argued about the term "traditional gamer", which is what I consider myself.

In the end though, terminology means little, but the game genre tastes, & behaviors of the gamers themselves do matter.

Edit: I'm more impressed by the Dec. list, than the whole of last year. But, that is just me.

Wesker

Wesker said:

4 shooters
2 open world games
2 dance games
1 WRPG
1 Sports game

Kind of wierd where gaming is going: if you look at most gaming websites most people are crticizing COD and offering Skyrim as the deep gaming alternative. For me, both alternatives are bad. I think these are the kind of experiences that are more and more going to be associated with AAA gaming. The Xbox is going to rule the living room, and Sony and Nintendo will be left fighting over more niche markets. Very sad.

Pogocoop

Pogocoop said:

Sigh....

Gaming is a dead art, only worth while game on that entire list is Skyrim....

Ryno

Ryno said:

I only own 1 game on that list, Arkham City, but then again I bought way more NES and SNES games this year then new games.

Seriously, what in the world is Just Dance 3?

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

@corbs: My sentiments exactly... I don't own a single game on the 2011 list. And only 2 on the Dec. list. Even Skyward Sword has failed to impress me so far. Feels like gaming is a dying hobby for me.

ThrowdownN64

ThrowdownN64 said:

I personally think that a hardcore gamer is one who actually plays games...
Not just a game here or there like the new cod or whatever but actually know about gaming, have played retro and new games, and play many genres
Tis a shame many gamers think that just because you play a certain game or system automatically makes you a hard core/core gamer

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

What Corbs said, IMO that is a list of generic shooters (with slightly different stories and identical gameplay) with a sprinkle of boring RPGs and Just Dance, I miss the days when people valued fun and variety in games over online and graphics.

C-195

C-195 said:

So Call of Duty 4.752323 is the best seller? Not surprising, sadly. Hopefully cod will run itself into the ground soon, there's only so many wars that used guns.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

2 Call of Duty and 2 Just Dance games. So a majority of people have the same taste in gaming.

I will stick to my niche games like Skyward Sword then.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

I don't ever see my self picking up a first person shooter game that is based on the war ( I'm talking to you COD & MW3 ). The war is dumb, pointless, and each war fought creates a new one. Also when at war you don't get a second or more chances to live. Once you die it's over. Lastly, why can't they release a chart of the year only for nintendo...maybe now would be a good time to go view that Japanese chart. Back to the topic, for all those people who are die hard fans of these games should be given a gun and some armor so they can go into the war and see how they like it.

wolfhound91W

wolfhound91W said:

I own many of the games on the list. I wish I had more of them (2K12). Skyrim is a great game. The others are okay depending on what kind of games you like. I enjoy playing older games like Final Fantasy Legend III for Gameboy, NES games like Crystalis, SNES games like Super Punch Out, N64 Perfect Dark, Playstation2 Soul Reaver 2, etc. I still enjoy the new games as well. I would like to think that a hardcore gamer plays games of all generations, game companies, genre of games, etc. I enjoy a lot of games, but I definitely do not enjoy the majority. There is a nostalgia to older games that will keep you connected to them. If you give some of the newer games a chance, they may also bring you back from time to time. Or not, just saying.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

With how often the CoD games sell it makes you wonder when real wars will finally be fought online.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Not as discouraging a list as I thought it would be but I'm still thoroughly disappointed to see games like Batman and Gears 3 behind the likes of Call of Duty Black Ops and MW 3 (I actually like MW 3 but it's not as good as a lot of other games out there) and BF 3 and even more disappointed that Zelda: SS and SM 3D Land miss the list completely thanks to stuff like Just Dance 2 and 3. On the plus side, Mario Kart 7 and SM3DL did enjoy a great December as did Skyward Sword.

Moco_Loco

Moco_Loco said:

@battLeToaD: I think you just found the solution to world peace. Let's just have all our wars online and then shake virtual hands afterward.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

@Moco_Loco: Who cares about world peace. The important thing is that us gamers would finally be among the most socially accepted people.
At least gaming should become Olympian as soon as possible. A decathlon in Tetris, Dr. Mario, Panel De Pon, Mario Kart, StarFox, Four Swords, The Conduit, GoldenEye, F-Zero and Fortune Street sounds quite fun.

srhades

srhades said:

these games would be blown out by skyward sword, 3d land, MK7, fossil fighters champs, kirby, and star fox if people saw how fun they really are :|