North American Resident Evil Packaging is Wrong

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Scary spelling error

Update: A Capcom spokesperson has acknowledged the error in a statement to Eurogamer:

It has come to our attention that there was a misspelling on the Resident Evil: Revelations packaging. We apologise for the mistake, which will be corrected for subsequent productions of the game. We are working on a solution to provide affected customers with the correct packaging. Please visit Capcom-Unity for updates.

Original story:

Resident Evil Revelations may have already arrived in Japan and Europe, but the North American release is still on the horizon. As a result various gaming journalists have just started to receive advance copies of the title, and have noticed a rather surprising mistake.

As reported by many writers on Twitter, the title on the side of the box reads 'Resident Evil Revelaitons'; a rather shoddy typo.

With the title due in North American stores in less than two weeks, we're yet to hear from Capcom whether this issue will affect the retail copies, and if so whether they'll be reprinted. As you can see from our Resident Evil Revelations review it's an excellent entry in the series, so let's hope that gamers don't judge the game by its cover.

[via twitter.com]

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Well it doesnt say much for the title if people see that. Hope it gets fixed.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

awe man! I wish this hadn't been caught until the actual release. It would have likely been fixed promptly making those initial copies rarities. Chances are Capcom will fix this before it releases to retail. This means I must get my hands on one of those flawed advanced copies :3

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Epic fail! The first print run will be a great collectors item in years to come :)

Dodger

Dodger said:

Biggest box art mistake since the wii version of Okami. I still find that amusing when I see it at gamestop. I still want the game though. Okami is pretty. @-@

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

It blows my mind that this happened, surely quite a few people would have gawked at the box before the print was approved? I guess they were all looking at the front.

If they've already had the mass copies produced, which is possible considering that distribution to all the stores and retailers needs to be finished, then it may be tough/too late to fix this for the first batch.

Oh dear!

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Just as they skipped removing the IGN watermark from the Wii Okami box art. WHERE ARE YOUR PRODUCT REVIEWERS?!

Ryno

Ryno said:

I don't even own a 3DS but if I find one of those misprinted copies I am going to snatch one of the collector's items up!

sykotek

sykotek said:

This would be a collcetor's item if it weren't coimng form Capcom. Chacnes are, they'll just leave it like taht. Most people proabbly woudln't catch or care abuot the slight spelilng snafu.

Anyone taht has bought the orignial PlaySattion vesrion of Strider 2 or Okami for the Wii would konw they won't really bother with fixing it. Only those who raelly comlpain will likely get a fixed cover.

Lan

Lan said:

Whoa my god. Stuff like this bothers me so much. They should hire me, I'm like an English teacher when it comes to spotting typos.

Torchwood

Torchwood said:

...How do you f@*k that up? I mean, come on, who designed this? I'm by no means trying to offend Capcom or its employees, but I can't imagine how such a mistake was overlooked.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

This game will be on my "maybe" list since I am more focused on "Kid Icarus: Uprisgn", "Animal Corssing", and "Papre Mario". I may also add in "Smash Bors" if I want more fun on my 3DS. XD

Dragonfly224

Dragonfly224 said:

LOLs oh Capcom...are you telling me no one reviewed the box art before printing? xD
Oh well, Game will still be awesome though!

Ultra128

Ultra128 said:

Whoa!!! That scared the pants off me!!! My heart is beating a trillion lightyears a nanosecond!!!

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Either this is one of the worst mistakes of someone's career or this is the most brilliant piece of viral advertising ever. I'm willing to say it's both.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

I'm surprised anyone noticed, what with native speakers seeming to generally not know or care how to use the English language these days. At least it doesn't say "Resident Evil Revelation's".

DoctorWho

DoctorWho said:

If they correct the spine in time for the North American, European and Australian releases, then the erroneous cover will be a collectors item.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Meh, this isn't the first time something like this has happened. I've got Konami's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games for Gamecube, and the spine for the first one reads 'Teennage Mutant Ninja Turtles', lol.

And does anybody else here own Okami on Wii? Look at that front cover picture closely and you can see the 'IGN' watermark still on it, lol.

SLiM

SLiM said:

Maybe we've been spelling Revelations wrong all along, and Capcom has come to tell us the correct spelling :P

sykotek

sykotek said:

Capcom has just responded to this issue. Turns out Capcom will be fixing this issue in subsequent releases of this title after all and will provide early purchasers with fixed covers. ...I'll believe it when I see it, the fixed covers at retail thing.

DanteSolablood

DanteSolablood said:

I'm hoping that this isn't really a mistake, but an adanced hint that Proffessor Layton will be a playable character via DLC. nods

Noire

Noire said:

Having a misspelled cover would irk me more than any amount of collectability could possibly make up for. Guess that just helps my resolve in not picking it up right away. :P

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

Well it's not going to stay like that, but the initial batches of the game are going to look like that.
Cool collectors item for people who get the spelling mistake!

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

@14 @27: LOL those are the best comments I've seen xD

Too bad they didn't misspell the publisher's name as Crapcom...

DanteSolablood

DanteSolablood said:

Hmm, lucky they didn't write "I P MOCCA: DENTIST LION REVERSES VEAL". Heh, spent a whole 3 minutes to get that out of the Resi letters... it only would have taken Capcom 1 minute to spell the name right first time. :)

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Generally, an artist submits a design piece to his boss for approval. The artist and boss should both diligently check the work, so this translates to a failure of the artist as well as the boss. It's a wonder the guy setting up the print templates didn't notice, or any myriad of other people desks this passed through before going to production.

Usually, you see these types of errors on counterfeit goods, but not genuine products. Actually, I kinda feel bad for the poor sap on eBay some 20 years from now who buys a sealed copy of RE 3DS for like $5,000 just for the rarity of the error. Go over to NintendoAge.com ; people have paid lots more in recent years for sealed NES games! :P

ImDiggerDan

ImDiggerDan said:

Pretty bad that Nintendo missed it as well. The pick up spelling mistakes in the electronic manuals and marketing materials.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Ha no one is perfect lol i mean after like 10 RE titles they are bound to mess up some where down the line ;p

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Buy your copy now and leave it in the wrap for when it becomes valuable or something.

supask8a23

supask8a23 said:

Ahh sabrewing beat me to it I was going to say in the future these will probably be worth money like a rare misspelled nes cartridge of the day

SBOY

SBOY said:

Ok so they should have put (a little) more time to correct this but as long as the game work #1 and have no big bug that "screw" a part of the game (like Nintendo did with one track in MK7) what's the big problem ?

Alundra-1998

Alundra-1998 said:

@ToxieDogg
When you mention the watermark on Okami for the Nintendo Wii, are you referring to the part that says "IGN.com 9/10 You need to buy Okami for Nintendo's system"
If you are meaning that, I happen to have a new and sealed version of Okami for the Nintendo Wii and PlayStation 2.

killer6370

killer6370 said:

Lol its the sequel of Resident evil revelations and will be released next year so wait for Resident evil Revelaitons ^^

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Indeed, this cover will probably go for large amounts of money in a few years once it's fixed.

LordAndrew

LordAndrew said:

Great, now I have to buy a copy before they fix the typo.

Wait... Capcom did this on purpose!

Henmii

Henmii said:

Clumsy!

But whats worse is the very big and totally ugly usk logo found on the European box (when part of the circle pad pro bundle).

Skyward sword also had such a ugly logo (when part of the golden wiimote bundle).

I seriously consider to never buy a bundle or limited edition again, because those logo's totally destroy it. And it's also pointless:

1: The logo is also on the cardboard box
2: The logo can be made smaller
3: The logo can be on the back
4: Nobody is interested in those logo's anyway!

End of my rant!

TTGlider

TTGlider said:

I just remembered a third Capcom box art screwup.

They omitted the 'Wii' logo on the spine of Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles.