Netflix Reaches Wii Shop Channel in UK and Ireland

Posted by James Newton

Merrily down the stream

Netflix has launched in the UK and Ireland — and it's available on Wii.

The Wii Shop Channel offers a free Netflix Channel for download, enabling subscribers to stream TV and movies through the console.

You can sign up for a free trial and account through the Channel, with a flat rate of £5.99/€6.99 per month.

In North America Netflix is also available on 3DS, but the portable version hasn't reached the UK and Ireland yet.

NX01Trekkie1992

NX01Trekkie1992 said:

I'm from the US and have been using this for a while, it's GREAT that this service has finally reached the UK and Ireland, hope it reaches the rest of Europe soon, enjoy guys!

NX01Trekkie1992

NX01Trekkie1992 said:

@Mr_Trill5306 and @WhiteMage75, Netflix was only available in the US originally, then Canada in 2010, and last year they started service to South America, today is the first day the service has been available outside the Americas

tvshowking

tvshowking said:

Not sure if I should switch from LoveFilm to Netflix, so I might wait either a month, or until the 3DS player is available in the UK.

theJOE

theJOE said:

put it on the 3DS then i will be excited as i have a list of stuff i want to watch

RonF

RonF said:

It is a good service, the software works nicely but the selection is average to good only. Still, it is very worthy of the price. I have been using it for a few months in Brazil and I'll recommend it to my brother who lives in the UK.

Victoria

Victoria said:

I use LoveFilm as well but have been curious about Netflix because so many of my American pals talk about it. But I think I'll wait to try it if/when they make it work for the 3DS.

p.s. to @Portisanta - I'm also an American in the UK.

Grackler

Grackler said:

Signing up to Netflix gives you a one month trial, for those who aren't sure (I'm a LoveFilm subscriber, but I'm going to see what Netflix offers and I might move if the streaming selection is better)

YorkshireNed

YorkshireNed said:

Taken up the free trial. All I can say is, they better have about 5 times more content by the end of this month if they want my money. Does stream without interruption, though, unlike iPlayer which is always bleating on about bandwidth and errors at the worst possible moment.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

The problem on the 3DS is my sister likes to watch Netflix on her 3DS 24/7 and we just added a couple new things to our wireless (A few Laptops) and were really low on bandwidth so no one else can use the internet on our 3DSs. I got kicked out of the eShop while she got to watch her shows. :(

MattL

MattL said:

Downloaded this but couldn't be bothered to excavate my credit card from the recesses of whatever Hell I banished it to, so instead switched it off. Strangely, after doing so my Wii continuously insisted my files had been corrupted! I had to unplug the Wii and wait a few minutes before the console would work again. So I've removed Netflix in consequence. Don't know if it was a coincidence or not.