Mario Kart Wii Races Past 30 Million Sales Milestone

Posted by James Newton

No brakes

Mario Kart Wii has sold a whopping 31.9 million units around the world.

The Wii racer has shifted 4.9m copies worldwide since April, standing as the biggest-selling Wii game of the financial year so far.

It's not the only Mario game hitting milestones: perhaps due to its inclusion in the Nintendo Selects range, Super Mario Galaxy has racked up 10.4m worldwide sales since 2007, while New Super Mario Bros. Wii sits on 25.4m since late 2009.

It's not all Mario though: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the third top-seller of the financial year so far, with 3.42m global sales since November.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Its good to see it selling so well as IMO its the best game in the series but the EU release date is wrong. It came out on the 11th April 2008, not the 10th. I remember getting this awesome game for my birthday on the day it came out.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I hope they don't beat super mario brothers (was it 1 or 3?) as best selling Nintendo game of all time. SMB was a classic! I'll be sad to see the record go...

EDIT: Crap, nevermind, Wii Sports already did that. :'(

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

WHAT THE--and I thought Super Mario Galaxy was WAY better than NSMB Wii...don't get me wrong, I like both but I personally loved Galaxy better. But I seriously have no words to describe how much I was breath-taken the first time I played Super Mario Galaxy 1. In my opinion, there will never be a game that tops SMG 1 and 2 EVER! Not even another Mario game. Gravity was the best thing that hit Nintendo...anyone feel the same way?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Mario Kart 7 might have replaced it as my favorite Mario Kart and the bikes tarnarished the experience, but Mario Kart Wii was still a solid title, so I'm pleased.

Kitty_hime1

Kitty_hime1 said:

I'M ONE OF THE 30 MILLION!!!!!! :D
in my opinion super mario kart that i got off virtual consle service i didn't like it sure it was a classic but the controls are so annoying!!! Xp

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I agree with DarkSquid. 12 player with practically no lag. And it has no stupid Maka Wuhu glitch.

Neonpowerstar

Neonpowerstar said:

12 players was one of the reasons why MKW's item balance sucked...50% more players = 50% more items hitting you. As far as I know there is practically no lag in MK7 as well, and it runs at 60fps which makes it even more impressive. And MK7 has no stupid Grumble Volcano glitch, Mushroom Gorge glitch, or Wario's Gold Mine glitch.

Megajack

Megajack said:

Im not surprised. Mario Kart Wii is the best mario kart title. (besides the Snes one)
1. you can actully steer
2. you can ride motercycles.
3. the tracks are awsome!

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

Shame though that the best of the three (Super Mario Galaxy) has had the least amount of sales.

JD2995

JD2995 said:

Is okay, I thought that Skyward sales would be higher but are not bad.

vherub

vherub said:

The success is mixed bag. It sends a strong message that Nintendo doesn't need a robust lobby and matchmaking system that MS/Sony provides. It also was a blackhole of sorts, negating most other racing games on the wii. And (maybe it's personal taste), but without a ghost item from 64, too much was sacrificed on the altar of last minute wins and rubber band competitions. Still a good game, but frustrating.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I am not one of the 30 million!

I decided to skip that one and get MK7 instead. And so far I feel I made the right choice: No Waluigi, no babies and all of my friends agree in that the AI is a lot more manageable in 7.

I had no idea SMG1 had reached the 10 million mark. I agree with Alex C, I would not mind if EAD Tokyo takes over the Mario games from now on. Also great numbers for Skyward Sword so early in its shelf life.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Incredible sales, good job Nintendo!
Mario Kart 64 is still my fav though:)

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

The reason for the high Mario Kart sales is because it's bundled. Or it was bundled. I'm not sure if it is bundled with the new Wii.

JimLad

JimLad said:

All the more reason they should start launching their systems with Mario games again.

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

No surprise - it IS a mario kart game bundled with the system :P

There's ALWAYS money in the banana stand.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I'm not sure which I like more honestly. To me MKW and MK7 seem to have an equal amount of pros and cons in different areas.

boob

boob said:

Mariokart wii, I love the motion control steering with the wii wheel brilliant. Mariokart 7 i sometimes use the gyro as i find it more challengingi just wish you could do it 3rd person as well. The 3d is awesome.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

Mario Kart Wii DID NOT suck. It's this title in the series that got me into after ignoring it since the first SNES game hit in the '90s.

I still play it online to this day.