Mario and Zelda Sheet Music Now Available

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Ocarina of Tune

Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda are arguably Nintendo's most prominent and famous franchises. With a shared history spanning 25 years and a lot of games, fans have been treated to some glorious music, whether it's been chip-tune or orchestral.

Now, thanks to Alfred Music Publishing, musical gamers have the opportunity to play through some of these famous compositions themselves. Four officially licensed songbooks have been released and are available in North America and Europe: Super Mario Series for Guitar, Super Mario Series for Piano, Super Mario Series for Easy Piano and The Legend of Zelda Series for Piano. Each book contains themes and arrangements from throughout both franchises' histories, and are available directly from the publishers, major online retailers such as Amazon or via the Apple iBooks store.

Below is a trailer for the Super Mario songbooks that is strangely lacking any good samples of the music: it does give a look at the music sheets, if nothing else. Are any of you tempted by these songbooks?

[via alfred.com]

Late

Late said:

I knew how to play Super Mario Bros. theme on piano but I think I can't do it anymore.

mega

mega said:

i would love it but i can just go print my own online on mario mania.

MattL

MattL said:

Cool, I'd be interested in buying all four. Any excuse to get the guitar and keyboard out. Also be nice for my collection of Nintendo-related goodness.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Yeah, I got both of the advanced piano books for my dad for Christmas, so...they've been available for a bit now. Nice of you to let everybody else know, though. ;)

pixelman

pixelman said:

Oh snap. I may have to buy these. I've been wanting to play NSMB's theme on the piano since forever, haha.

Lobster

Lobster said:

I wish more instruments were available. I've tried both piano and guitar and so far haven't managed to stick with them. I suppose if these had been out when I was in grade school/junior high that story could have been different.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

No love for the flute, huh? A lot of Zelda songs would sound nice on it. Oh well, guess I'll keep trying to play by ear.

ueI

ueI said:

Did anybody notice that the books have a song from Mario Sunshine called "Dolpic Town?"

niner

niner said:

Wow, that has to be the worst ad for music in the history of music ads. Tink-a-tink-a-tink-a-tink-a-tink-a-tink-a-tink...

AutumnShantel

AutumnShantel said:

Not to mention the thousands of free websites with all the arrangements anyone could ever ask for. lol

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

@ 24 I can play the 'SMB overworld theme' on my bass guitar, figured it out by listing. I can give you the notes for that one, if you want.

CapedGodot

CapedGodot said:

I find that I do better playing Ocarina by ear than by sheet music. It only works if you have a good sense of pitch like I have.
Also, this music is already everywhere on the internet. I find these to be pretty much superfluous.

Thwiidscube

Thwiidscube said:

@ueI I believe Dolphic Town is either the name of Delfino Plaza in the PAL region, or the Japanese name translated into English, not sure which. :P

AutumnShantel

AutumnShantel said:

@ 27: That's sweet of you, I actually got the over world song by ear (and I know it on piano), some of the less popular songs from other Mario games I'd like to have. Like from Superstar Saga and Yoshi's Island.. I suppose if I sat down and was patient I could do it by ear... haha It's cool you play bass, too.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Used to be able to play the Mario theme (Level 1-1) on guitar a while back. Forgotten it now though.

Now to learn how to play the Easy Piano...

SuperLink

SuperLink said:

The Mario one looks cool, but I really want the Zelda one. It's just too bad the Zelda one doesn't have anything from Skyward Sword in it...:(

CerealKiller062

CerealKiller062 said:

This is new to me, although, I have been playing guitar for a couple of years now. I never really used sheet music, nor do I have an interest to play the Mario songs, but, that Zelda collection I might get. I am a by the ear kind of person, but the harder songs with multiple instruments become a pain to distinguish the individual guitars and chords.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I think I will be picking up Super Mario for Guitar, definitely. It'll give me a chance to take my guitar out of the closet and play it for once! ;)

Edit: Why doesn't this article appear in the "Retro" section? Needs "Retro" tag added.

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

@34 The battle theme of superstar sage is one of my favorite pieces of game soundtrack :) It isn't that hard to play either. On which bass do you play btw? I have a Cort B4 ( a bass for beginners, have been playing for one and a half year now).

bauckster

bauckster said:

This is cool! I might consider the advanced Zelda or Mario piano books...how expensive are they in the U.S.?

bauckster

bauckster said:

Never mind, just looked for myself. Ranging $16.99-$19.99. I assume that is not counting shipping though.