Genius Sonority's eShop AR RPG Looks Mad

Posted by James Newton

Cute, though

Japanese developer Genius Sonority — best known for its work on various Pokémon spin-offs over the years — has revealed its next title, due out in the Japanese eShop next week.

Called Denpa Ningen RPG — or Electric Wave Person RPG, believe it or not — is an augmented reality RPG where you use the 3DS's cameras to reveal hidden flying folk, capturing them to assemble a team to tackle a giant demon king, of course.

Different denpa ningen have their unique statistics and elemental properties, so catching a varied group is the secret to success.

Here's one trailer but there are plenty more videos over at the official site.

From the web

Late said:

I like the RPG part Would probably get it if it got released here.

Hejiru said:

I would get this if it were the other way around and we caught the monsters they’re fighting. Those look neat; the teletubby people just look creepy.

Portista said:

Dude, this is AWESOME!!! I cant wait for it to come... presuming that it will. Although the tickle suits are a little... out of place.

Shworange said:

Since I can't read Japanese, I don't really understand the AR tie in. For now I'll just say, "Crack don't smoke itself!"

Klapaucius said:

That looks awesome! Shame I don't have enough money on the eShop at the moment. Definately keeping an eye on this.
I don't suppose Nintendo Life will review it unless it's released in Europe/NA

Kyloctopus said:

This makes nnooo's Spirit Hunters Inc. look like trash. I wonder what happened to that game? Did they cancel it?

bezerker99 said:

LordJumpMad must have had a part in this game if it's truly this mad, as the article title states.... D:

rjejr said:

Wow, a lot going on in there. A cross between Invizimals, Pokemon, and Evolution (an old Dreamcast RPG). I like the binoculars look of the screen. I wonder if a Pokemon game could be made like this? Probably not a proper one, but an extension of Ranch or the Pokedex.

iBazly said:

This looks friggin' ridiculous, but friggin' awesome. My only concern would be that without any sort of main character this will lag a bit plot-wise. I'm hoping the action isn't too repetetive and they can build a good story around it!

FonistofCruxis said:

It would be a maybe if it you didn't play as teletubby lookalikes but as those are what you play as, I definitely won't be getting this if it gets a western release.

Azikira said:

It would be a lot cooler if they looked simmilar to the monsters in the game, instead of deformed Mii's... But it still looks decently fun.

SomeBitTripFan said:

This is indeed....interesting. It looks fun but, the characters are very.....interesting. The characters should look less Tellytubby-Tingley.

Shirma_Akayaku said:

at first i thought the title was about the fan made "swapnote rpg"
but then i saw the vid and i was like "whaaaaat....?"
it looks ok to me

Radixxs said:

If someone saw you in public just waving your 3DS around, they'd think you were crazy. This opinion would be strengthened if they saw that you were playing this game.

Octorok385 said:

This is an awesome idea. I'd be surprised if the next Pokemon game didn't have a similar "hunt in the real world" AR feature...

BenAV said:

I really hope this gets released here eventually.
It sure has my interest.

SyFyTy said:

why does Japan get all the cool stuff and the US gets all the cookie cutter old hat crap re runs?

alLabouTandroiD said:

Hmmm ... I wish the capture part was more like Face Raiders. Doing something with the real world surroundings instead of just having them as a background.
The RPG part looks good though and may justify getting it if it ever comes to Eustralica.

shadowkaby said:

Any news on a US or international would be fun if a system update allowed us to purchase foreign games unavailable to Sakura Samurai for Europe...or to that effect

Kitsune_Rei said:

I really want this game to be released in NA! Has there been any news on that? I know its quirky, but I'm hoping the strong sales figures are enough, especially with Pokemon Conquest being more of an unusual game for NA but still seeing release.