Capcom Had Resident Evil 5 Running on 3DS

Posted by James Newton

Now that's magic

Resident Evil Revelations's road to retail ends in Europe this week, and Nintendo president Satoru Iwata sat down with Capcom staff to discuss how the title came about.

Before Revelations, of course, there was Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, but even before that Capcom had a very different game running on the machine, as director Koshi Nakanishi explains:

What kicked off Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D was we needed to actually run a game on a Nintendo 3DS system, so we took Resident Evil 5 and ran it on a Nintendo 3DS, and the impact it made was more than we had imagined.

It was this vision that spurred the team on to create Mercenaries and later Revelations, with producer Masachika Kawata so proud of the 3DS-exclusive adventure he believes it belongs in the main series canon:

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but looking at the finished game makes me think why we didn't slap a number on the title! It's a true-as-can-be Resident Evil game from head to toe, so please enjoy it.

Our Resident Evil Revelations review will be live this Thursday.

[via iwataasks.nintendo.com]

MattL

MattL said:

I'm going to plead ignorance here as I'm not aware of the technical aspects of each console, but if they could run Resi 5 on the 3DS, then why couldn't they have done the same on the Wii? Not that I'm particularly bothered about missing out, I played it on the PS3 and it was very disappointing. Still, Revelations sounds very exciting.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@MattL
The Wii doesn't use shaders the same way as the 3DS. 3DS has a lot better shading technology than the Wii, but the Wii is stronger than the 3DS in some other aspects.

Capcoms engine for RE5 and a lot of other current gen titles, the MT Framework engine, requires shaders to develop on. And that's why RE5 can't be done on Wii, since the Wii can't support that engine, and they probably don't want to make a whole new engine just for one system.

47drift

47drift said:

After playing that demo, I have to say that Revelations feels more like 6 than that trailer looks.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

i thought this game was a prequel to 5. Am I wrong? I thought that was why it is not a numbered title. Looks gorgeous and the circle pad controls beautifully in the demo.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I would have bought it on the Wii. Hear me, Capcom? You're losing my money!
-has now read the comments above- I still think that the Framework MT Light that powers Samurai Warriors and Monster Hunter Tri is a stunning piece of tech and it could handle a new Resident Evil on the Wii. I really wanted more Capcom games on the Wii. It's a shame they would probably not sell as much as Just Dance, but oh well... Wii U better be different, at least have as many awesome 3rd party hardcore titles like the 3DS.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@Shiryu
I definitely agree with you. I would have loved RE5 on Wii as well. It's a shame really.

But hopefully the WiiU will be able to handle most next gen engines and make 3rd party developers create games for all systems out. I'm personally hoping Capcom will release RE6 on the WiiU sometime soon after the consoles release or as a launch title if the game is out.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This is old news, I heard about this well over a year ago. Anyway, I hope this means that Capcom may consider porting RE5 to 3DS. If not, then I'd like to see it on Wii U along with RE6.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

hah I knew it! after seeing Mercenaries 3D I just knew it could run RE5 this just shows how much 3DS is on par with the Big Consoles.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

I would have bought that (again) capcom. It's a shame they went for Mercenaries and not Resi 5. Oh well, it's almost revelations time!

MattL

MattL said:

@19Robb92
Thank you for the enlightenment, I appreciate your time and explanation :)

Hopefully this will all be compensated for on Wii U.

Link79

Link79 said:

Let me get this straight.
3DS could run RE 5 but not the Wii? I find that really hard to believe. It really erks me that if I wanna play RE5 and now 6 I need a PS3. Alot of Nintendo fans out there also happen to like RE so why can't we be included? Please Capcom port RE5 to Wii U and give us RE6 also. Don't shaft us again.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

They couldn't even get the Backgrounds 'moving' in Super Street Fighter IV 3D for crying out loud. Static paper cut out animal and people made the experience feel incomplete and lifeless. :p

The Wii's a bit more powerful in the polygon department than the 3DS.....I'd like to see Nintendo getting Super Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country returns and kirby's Epic Yarn running on the 3DS. There would be a drop in polygons but an increase in shader capabilities.

As for Resident Evil 5 hitting the Wii U....I'd 'maybe' get it, just to have it in my RE collection + having Wii remote pointer controls. ONLY if it's the XBOX 360 version and not that graphically soft with piss poor contrast ratio PS3 version.

zionich

zionich said:

Thats nice Capcom, now lets talk Monster Hunter before the end of the world in dec.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I surely would've bought RE5, whether it was on Wii or 3DS. I don't have a 360 or PS3 so I had to miss out on the game. I'm sure it'll come to the Wii U though, similar to how RE4 came to the HD platforms.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Maybe they did but I doubt it was doing all the things the PS3 and 360 versions were doing. That's not to say I'm not impressed with the technical ability of the 3DS, because I truly am, but I see no reason to play an inferior version of a game I can get on better hardware. Even if it is portable.

Aviator

Aviator said:

I still would have rather played it on PS3/PC, but nice to know Ninty is catching up.

goldgin

goldgin said:

"Maybe I shouldn't say this, but looking at the finished game makes me think why we didn't slap a number on the title! "

yeah, maybe you shouldn't

pikku

pikku said:

If you think that's good, just wait until you see Vita rockin' dat RE6. >:3

Doma

Doma said:

I REALLY doubt Capcom are gonna bother with porting RE5 to a Nintendo system after this long (especially considering its online), as they couldn't charge full price.
It's been cheap on every other system now for ages, give up the wait.

AuroraKnight

AuroraKnight said:

I think that's pretty cool, but kinda obvious it could be done after seeing the 2 RE titles that came to 3ds >_< I would buy a port of RE5 for it though, jus for 2 player story mode across the 3ds, even though I already played and beat it on PS3. I would much rather see a NA release of monster hunter tri-g though. That's the number one game I'm pushing for on the 3ds!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Doma

It is Capcom we are talking about. They recently released an HD version of RE4 for PS360, a really old game that has been released in countless consoles, and charged $15 for it. I don't see why they would not port RE5 to Wii U.

In any case, I am rather happier to have a new RE game than a port of an old game available on consoles. Now if someone would have told Konami to do the same with MGS for the 3DS....

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Hate to add to the 'old news' brigade, but...

OLD NEWS.

...still can't wait for Revelations though.

crazyj2312

crazyj2312 said:

I couldn't believe how good the demo looked. Now developers don't have any excuse like they had with the DS and it's limited capabilities. Here's hoping for more great looking games.

Rockman

Rockman said:

The Demo was very cool! But i'm waiting for Luigi's mansion 2 to go spoooky!

Hokori

Hokori said:

@21 catching up? hahahaha they are already ahead in the department that really matters.... GAMEPLAY

also I see capcom doing the same thing they did with RE2 and 3 for the GCN for 5 and 6 release both on the same day for the Wii U

Doma

Doma said:

@sinalefa
What i can't see them doing is including the online modes (which are essential to the game), on top of having to sell it cheaper.. all for the select few people who'll own a WiiU and haven't played it yet.

Agree with your 2nd comment. That's why i ignored the 3D Mercs port and have Revelations pre-ordered.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

The 3DS is more powerful than the Wii, no surprise there. It sounds more like the 3DS is the PS360_1.5 that People feel the WiiU will be... Perhaps there's a chance the WiiU can be PS3630_2 after all? All speculation, but we all see soon enough...

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I was saying the same thing to myself about slapping a number on it while I played the demo. This isn't some rail-shooter minigame thing, this is a fully-fledged new Resident Evil game on a handheld system. I hope this thing sells millions of copies because if the demo is any indication, it deserves it.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

This is great news and all and I don"t mean to be a downer but really Capcom RE5 runs on the 3DS but you said a few years back when RE5 1st came out the Wii couldn't even handle RE5's title screen but ofcourse what 3 years later it's fully possible on a handheld >:( I just wish they had put RE5 on the Wii is all I'm saying instead of making up lame excuses.