Nintendo 3DS has achieved the 2011 chart double in Japan by topping the hardware and software charts for the year.
Statistics from Enterbrain (via Andriasang) show 3DS shifted 4,135,739 units since its February launch, twice as many as the second place — and now seven years old — PSP with 1,960,177 sales. Wii didn't make it past the million mark, sat on 937,451. The news comes just after Nintendo of America announced four million 3DS sales in the United States.
Nintendo reported the system's Japanese sales at 2.13m at the end of September, meaning Nintendo sold around two million consoles in 2011's last three months.
Software wise the Mario double-whammy secured the two top spots, with Mario Kart 7 just pipping Super Mario 3D Land at the finish line. Both titles have sold one million copies in both Japan and the United States.
Here's the final chart from Andriasang:
Best-selling Games of 2011 — Japan
01. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo, 12/1/2011): 1,082,391
02. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo, 11/3/2011): 1,042,511
03. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom, 12/1/2010): 1,021,457 (4,502,446)
04. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom, 12/10/2011): 809,322
05. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix, 12/15/2011): 697,146
06. [PSP] Final Fantasy Type-0 (Square Enix, 10/27/2011): 696,428
07. [WII] Minna no Rhythm Tengoku (Nintendo, 7/21/2011): 633,429
08. [PS3] Tales of Xillia (Namco Bandai, 9/8/2011): 632,151
09. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo, 6/25/2009): 612,807 (2,732,655)
10. [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo, 7/8/2010): 584,545 (2,123,773)