Watch a Slice of Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword

Posted by James Newton

Looking sharp

Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword was on Nintendo's eShop Q1 2012 release schedule, and now we have the first English language trailer.

As well as timing-based sword fighting the game also features a little bit of exploration as you walk around talking to villagers and learning that throwing frogs at your opponents "gives them the willies". What could be better?

There's also a 3D trailer in the North American 3DS eShop if you want to see the game with a little more depth.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Another 3DSware game I won't be getting because of how ugly the characters look but unlike Pullblox, I probably wouldn't get this even if the characters looked better as it doesn't really seem like my sort of game.

Karakato

Karakato said:

Feudal Japan styled Punch out with exploration? Sign me up :D The eshop needs games of this caliber just like Pushmo.

Neram

Neram said:

The Feudal Japan thing has been done to death... I'll keep an eye out for a review, as long as the game play is fun that's all that matters. Right now it just looks like a boring version of Mystical Ninja.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Looks great, I can see you rpg elements, it's got my eye. I like the graphics too N64 like but more smooth.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Nintendo's 3DSWare all looks excellent! Nintendo should make a downloadable Smash Bros. Game with Dillon, Mallo, Freakyforms and This Guy. And not forgetting Aura-Aura! To be honest though, I don't see why they can't include some of them in the actual game - they seem to really be supporting the eShop with strong IPs - Dillon would particularly fit in the SSB Universe! Pullblox would also male a good stage!

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I'm looking forward to this one. I don't know why people keep saying the graphics are ugly- I quite like them. They're just kinda stylised is all.

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

@C-Olimar
Good to know I wasn't the only one thinking that Dillon would fit well in Super Smash Bros. Pullblox stage would be supremely awesome too!

Also, for some reason, this Samurai's nose really makes me think of the Wind Waker. If this is more action like Zelda and not so timing-based, I'll heavily consider it. Hope to hear more about it!

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

reminds me of mystical ninja starring goemon will be getting it.some people still think online videos emulate 100% how it looks on the 3ds,or they just like imaginary downsides.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

This came out of nowhere (at least for me)

Looks interesting, I hope it has enough depth to it though. I can see all this battle timing getting a bit stale after a while.

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

Apparently everyone hates the art style, but I love it. It also looks really great in 3D.

@C-Olimar I'm ignoring your other ideas and saying A PUSHMO STAGE WOULD BE AWESOME! Mallo would be at the bottom just pulling out/pushing in blocks (NPC, though, and he's able to hop on the stage and pull more out/push back in). I'm not sure if he'd be interactive or not (as in hitting him would stop him from pulling/pushing a block for a few seconds)

joevox316

joevox316 said:

@Neram Yes well it is from a Japanese company. That's their country's history. It's not like "that space marine stuff has been done to death." They like stuff based on their history. It's a little hard to do that to death. I like Feudal Japan subject matter too. Good stuff.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It looks interesting. The graphics are obviously an stylistic choice, as the 3DS can handle great looking graphics like Super Mario 3D Land.

It is also nice seeing new IPs from Nintendo, a common complaint among Nintendo bashers. They are not blockbuster super huge IPs, but new and interesting IPs all the same.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

Looks good and quite deep for a downloadable title with the town segments.

PS: Love the Pullblox / Pushmo stage ideas for a SSB game here.