Skyward Sword's Music Sounds Even Better When SNES-ified

Posted by James Newton

Who needs an orchestra?

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's music is up there with the best of the series, and made all the more powerful by its use of a real orchestra. But how do the melodies themselves hold up when taken back to something a little less realistic? "Very well indeed" is the answer.

YouTube user MischievousMusings has posted a so-called "demake" of the game's Ancient Harbour theme as it would have sounded during the Super Nintendo days, using instruments from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. It sounds every bit as good as on the Wii; maybe even a little better if your ears are tuned to the 16-bit ways.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

I don't think this sounds good at all, honestly. It sounds good for Metroid though.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I always liked NES and SNES remakes of Nintendo music. They're all over Youtube, and some are really impressive. I've even heard Super Mario Kart's Rainbow Road as an orchestra remake, and it sounded like it was made for orchestra. Just comes to show how much effort and time people put into music.

JGMR

JGMR said:

"The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's music is up there with the best of the series"

I completely agree, especially 'The Ballad Of The Goddess'. Thanks for sharing that 'arranged' song.

Link79

Link79 said:

Sounds Snestastic!
This track really stood out as one of my favorites in the game!
I wanna hear more of this soundtrack in Snes form!

Bigdog

Bigdog said:

Me too, this was one of my favorite tracks in the game. Imagine something like this on a Link to the Past...

Lan

Lan said:

Okay that's totally metroid. And awesome. And I wanna play this game to hear the real version. I love how much care Nintendo puts into their music.

Ryno

Ryno said:

The world would be a lot better place if everything was SNES-ified!

FubumblR

FubumblR said:

I very much like the sound of it, however, the overall tone with the 16-bit effects doesn't match the scene tone of the ancient harbor. The 16-bit effect makes it seem very much dark worldly instead of simply an ancient dried up sandy ocean. Though, I still want to play SS again with all the music 16-bit-afied.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@Ryno
You beat me to that statement, LOL!

One of my favorite things to do at YouTube is to find 16 & 8-bit remixes of songs from modern games. Squeenix did an official 8-bit version of Final Fantasy XIII's "Blinded by Light" that was incredible!

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

It's rare for fan-made remixes, re-orchestrated, or 8/16-bitfyed music to sound even half as good as the original, and this is no exception. It sounds like it's more for a Metroid game then Legend of Zelda. While it sounds good, it still doesn't hold a candle to the original version.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

That's sounds really cool, but I prefer the orchestral sound tracks. In fact, the in game music is some of the best I have ever heard in a video game or even a film.