Shifting World Flips 3DS Upside Down in 2012

Posted by James Newton

Seem familiar?

Aksys Games just announced a new retail release for 2012: Shifting World.

The game might seem familiar to the 16 million-plus people who've played Shift online or via its iOS release. It's an enjoyable puzzle game that flips black and white and up and down to create some mind-bending puzzles.

Shifting World on 3DS obviously brings 3D to the whole affair but also includes a level editor and the ability to generate levels by taking pictures of QR-like DataMatrix barcodes. Hopefully you'll be able to share these levels online in a similar way to Pullblox or Pyramids.

Expect to see Shifting World on shelves early next year.

Shifting World: Is the Floor the Roof, or the Roof the Floor?

Coming to the Nintendo 3DSTM System in 2012!

TORRANCE, Calif. —December 6, 2011—Acclaimed video game publisher Aksys Games is proud to announce their partnership with video game developer Fishing Cactus in order to bring you the puzzle platformer Shifting World. Based on the award winning Shift series originally by Armor Games which has been played by over 16 million players on the web, the Nintendo 3DS version will be the first of the series to hit consoles and introduces an all-new art direction, level editor, 3D functionality, and a level generator of awesomeness that works by taking pictures of DataMatrix bar codes with the 3DS camera.

Key Features:
Shifting World is first of the SHIFT series to adapt the famous puzzle gameplay to full 3D.
Shift the world, from black to white and white to black. Use that to your advantage to overcome the game’s obstacles and find your way out of the room.
A new layer of puzzles: switch from 3D to 2D and from 2D to 3D with a button.
Over 60 levels total in Adventure Mode, Bonus Mode and Time Attack Mode!

Shifting World is scheduled for a 2012 release on Nintendo 3DS. Shifting World is rated E for Everyone with Violent References by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). More information about Aksys Games and Fishing Cactus can be found at www.aksysgames.com and www.fishingcactus.com.

Birdman

Birdman said:

Getting this one for sure. I played through one or two of the Flash Shift games (I hope those are included in the 3DS game), so I'm looking forward to how it'll work with the same concept in 3D.

accc

accc said:

Yeah, I don't see how they can justify charging retail price for what is essentially a souped-up flash game. I would be all over this on 3DSWare, though.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

YES. THIS THING DESERVES TO EXIST.

The Shift flash games are some of my favorite bite-sized pieces of gaming of all time. I'm so happy that the games are finally getting a full-length treatment.

BenAV

BenAV said:

I don't really see how everyone can be saying that it should be an eShop game before we've even seen it.
Give it a chance first.

Joco84

Joco84 said:

Unless this seriously expands on the iOS games that cost about 99p, I don't know how in the world they can demand a retail price for this.

I cannot see them expanding on the existing format, but I can see them trying to charge £20+ for what would cost no more than £3 on iOS or £7.99 on eShop

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

This.

The "once a flash game, always a flash game" mentality boggles my mind. Let's take a look at the product first before we decide it's not a large enough step forward.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I got the original game through PlayStation Plus. It really is a fun, addicting and creative puzzle-platform game. I am interested in seeing how this new 3D version will turn out. Amazon is taking pre-orders for it now, looks like it will retail for $29.99. If you would like to learn more about this game check out this interview with the game's developers: http://indiegames.com/2012/02/interview_fishing_cactus_on_shi.html