Link's Awakening DX is 2011's Best-Selling 3DS VC Game

Posted by James Newton

The results are in

It's official: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX is the 3DS Virtual Console's best-selling game of 2011 in Europe and North America.

Link's legendary adventure tops the all-time Virtual Console charts in the UK and North America — live later today — beating off competition from Mario, Samus and Kirby.

In fact, the game is the second biggest seller overall in the eShop, just behind temporarily free behemoth 3D Classics: Excitebike.

Here's hoping this bodes well for future Game Boy Color games coming to 3DS Virtual Console.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I haven't bought it yet since I still have a copy, but I might pick it ups next time I get a points card.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Suprising? No. Its the best thing on there.
It can be considered the highest as well since Excitebike as mentioned was free (no possible comparison to Link's Awakening). Maybe this shows you should release those Oracle games soon huh Nintendo? Hint Hint

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

I'm kinda surprised it beat out Mario Land 2. I guess the black and white might be a turnoff to some.

md1500

md1500 said:

You have to remember, Zelda was one of the earliest games released on the 3DS eshop, so people have had far longer to buy it.

NigelHarris

NigelHarris said:

I remember playing the gb version of this on the brick gb. Truly one of the best zelda games. It was my first zelda game and I shall never forget it.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Along with it being the only 1st party GBC release offered this year (as well as being one of the earliest 3DS VC releases), here's my theory on why it beat out Mario, Metroid, and Kirby: While Super Mario Land 2 and Metroid 2 are among the best GB games around, they're significantly outclassed by SMB3, Super Mario World, and Super Metroid, which of course are all available on the Wii's Virtual Console. Metroid 2 also had to compete with Metroid Fusion, which we've known for months would be among the free GBA games available to Ambassadors.

Kirby has it even worse. In addition to stiff competition from Kirby's Adventure and Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land was merely the antiquated origin point for Kirby (similar to the consensus of Metroid's first game) where he couldn't even steal powers yet. Some franchises manage to create a retro masterpiece from the very first game (Sonic, Pokémon, Earthworm Jim), but more often, such as with Kirby and Metroid, the very first entry in a video game franchise turns out to be rather forgettable in later years.

However, with Link's Awakening DX, we have a different story. This masterpiece is generally considered to be just about as good as Link to the Past as the pinnacle of retro 2D Zelda games before they made a comeback many years later with Minish Cap, which was only recently revealed to be among the Ambassador GBA games.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

i doubt this is true. super mario land sold WAY more copies than this
it might be true in urope but not in the good old usa

Knux

Knux said:

It is one of the best Zelda games ever made. I'm glad to see that many people agree.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It's certainly unique for a Zelda game and very creative, so good for it. I can say that I got it when it first came out too.

accc

accc said:

Beating off the competition? Well THAT'S an interesting way to phrase it...

Groovius

Groovius said:

Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons were the first Zelda games I really dominated. A friend and I played through both on our new GBAs at the same time (this was the summer of 2000), switching games when one of us got stuck. Planting seeds and coming back later to harvest the nuts for the rings that may be inside them? Insanely addictive. You could do that alone for hours and not get bored.

I guess what I'm getting at is that my nostalgia and Nintendo's financial self-interest align here. Release the Oracles, and we will buy. You know we will.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

I might have to get this! Hopefully it will be at Club Nintendo soon.

Also, I really hope Oracle of Ages/Seasons makes its way to the Virtual Console!

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

I might have to get this! Hopefully it will be at Club Nintendo soon.

Lobster

Lobster said:

Not surprising! I have fond memories of this game on my GBC. In fact, I still have the cart. This was a no-brainer day one purchase for me.

Megaman256

Megaman256 said:

Nintendo please come out with more Zelda games from GBC. WE really want Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Was the first piece of Software i bought. Well worth the price to play it for the first time.

Ren

Ren said:

I'll have to check it out, it's the only one I haven't tried yet. I kind of wrote off the GBC games because I remember the color being pretty bad, but it sure looks a lot more vivid in the screenshots. Makes sense that it would look so much better on a real color screen.

Amorous_Badger

Amorous_Badger said:

Link's Awakening is still an astonishing technical achievement, when you consider the specs they were working under.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Well deserved, yes. And while there already are many great games on the 3DS VC so far only Donkey Kong '94 and Mario's Picross come close imo.
Now if Nintendo released the original GB version i'd buy it. I've only got the GBC cart. :)

jer18

jer18 said:

such an amazing game. spent hours on it. I still remember the joyous moment of awakening the Wind Fish :D

Link245

Link245 said:

It's sort of surprising that it's the number one game. I thought something Mario would sell the best. I guess it helped since it was in color.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I just beat this. It was a really great game. Definitely better than the two DS Zelda titles, though The Minish Cap is still my fave Zelda handheld.

kimaster

kimaster said:

I bought it the first day it was available on Virtual Console. That makes 3 copies of the game I own. The original Gameboy version, the Gameboy Color version, and the Virtual Console version. This was the game that introduced me to Zelda, the game that got me hooked on video games, the game that my roommate and I bonded over when we met 16 years ago in 6th grade. I lost track years ago of how many times I've beaten the game, but I still pick it back up every now and then for another play through. I almost cried when I realized that the battery in my Gameboy cartridge had died and I would never be able to save my game on it again.

Americasteam

Americasteam said:

Great game. Played it throug and through. Great Great game! Probably in the top ten zelda game list. Ocarina of time obviously being number 1.