Japan Buys Half a Million Copies of Super Mario 3D Land

Posted by James Newton

Off to a flyer

Super Mario 3D Land saw release in Japan last month and made light work of the competition, selling over 500,000 copies across the country.

Andriasang reports the game shifted 542,842 copies across Japan between 31st October and 27th November, with the best first-week sales of any 3DS game yet.

In North America Super Mario 3D Land set series sales records, selling over 500,000 units in three weeks.

[via andriasang.com]

matirishhh

matirishhh said:

Let's be positive James :)Shouldn't we all be happy that 3DS is finally doing good ?

James

James said:

Yep, but let's not get carried away; its biggest challenge is on the way next year!

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I think the 3ds will do fine next year. And better :P

Nintendo pretty much has a game for 3ds each month next year- or mayber every two months, plus, they may announce new games ahead of E3. And there's that Pokemon announcement... And the 3rd party games such as RE Revelations and Heroes of Ruin... Oh, and them downloadable games.

That's thinking positive :)

matirishhh

matirishhh said:

I've just read that GamesMaster gave 91% to RE:REVELATIONS so that is a very good start for 3DS in 2012. It will also get PAPER MARIO and METAL GEAR plus many many more - I'm very optimistic.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

@james: One swallow doesn't make a summer, my dear boy!

james! you must take into account how your alleged negativity will affect the grand scheme of nintendo! if the 3ds fails it will all come down to your post re: a swallow.

think of the power you wield, lad! please use it responsibly. ;-)

lex0plex

lex0plex said:

After finishing Super Mario 3D Land, I'm sad to say that I was a little disappointed. It was fun, a decent length and challenging (near the end), but I couldn't help but feel like the concept was extremely stale.

And even though the difficulty picked up around world S7/S8, I still beat game with 150+ lives stored up. What is the point of lives when the game saves after every level? Nintendo is living in the past and played it too safe with this game.

As fun as Mario and Zelda games are, nothing would leave more of an impression on Nintendo fans and the gaming community if the 3DS wasn't just a system that got a whole bunch of remakes, but a system that brought entirely new concepts and games to the table. I can't think of one 3DS game (at the moment) that isn't a remake or sequel...

OrionBelt

OrionBelt said:

@lex0plex
"[...]I can't think of one 3DS game (at the moment) that isn't a remake or sequel..."

Let me refresh your memory:
-Pushmo
-Mutant Mudds
-Sakura Samurai
-Beyond the Labyrinth
-Heroes of Ruin
-Kid Icarus Uprising (not actually a sequel or remake)
-The Rolling Western
-Code of Princes
-Guild 01 (actually counts as 4 different games)

• Rhythm Thief & The Emperor’s Treasure

That are the ones I can recall at the moment.

lex0plex

lex0plex said:

There is more than Nintendo out there and many people (including me) only have enough spending money to buy 9/10 rated games regardless of the system. Usually on a Nintendo console, that means it was developed by Nintendo, which means it is probably a well known franchise.

I was just saying that Nintendo should continue to broaden the types of games they make. I wasn't referring to 3rd party developers. Don't get me wrong I do hope the games you mentioned turn out well! :P

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

@lex0plex re: I was just saying that Nintendo should continue to broaden the types of games they make. I wasn't referring to 3rd party developers. Don't get me wrong I do hope the games you mentioned turn out well!

i hear ya. it's great they have their mario, zelda, metroid etc but it would be good for nintendo to branch out more and try making a different type of game. something they haven't attempted (properly) before.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Not surprsing, but still good. I await what Mario Kart 7's numbers will be, and they will be about as big.

Bigrat

Bigrat said:

It seams like MK might have a bigger sale. I could only get one, i chose Mario Kart. With the online and everything it wouldnt be surprised if it beat SM3DL

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

@lz20XX (post 1): The 3DS itself set a week 1 record then performed very poorly prior to the price drop. Early sales only make a fraction of the total over the life of the system.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

I think we should see the glass half full instead of half empty. We've got some great titles already and I can't wait for the Ambassador games to come (very soon, I hope.) James is right by saying next year will be the biggest challenge... What games are on the horizon for next year that will leverage the system the way that Super Mario 3D Land did? Perhaps that Zelda original 3DS game will do the trick?