First 3D Classics: Kid Icarus Footage Flies In

Posted by James Newton

The pits?

Club Nintendo members in Europe who register 2 3DS games could win a Mario 3DS, with everyone who registers getting a free download code for 3D Classics: Kid Icarus. Want to see what the game looks like before you go rushing out and buy two 3DS games? Here's the first trailer.

As you can tell the game adopts the same aspect ratio as 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure, though the use of a map in the background is seemingly less intrusive than 3D Classics: Twinbee's red curtains.

Check out the trailer below and let us know what you think.

Thanks to NintenDaan for the video.

Link79

Link79 said:

Woah they added background scenery!
Looks much nicer than the lifeless black background of the original!

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Huh.

While I actually love the treatment given Kirby, this one seems like a step backward from the NES release, because I have the opposite feeling of Link79: I prefer the "nighttime" feel of the original over these backdrops.

I suppose they had to do have a backdrop in order for the 3D to be meaningful, but now I'm not sure if I like the new aesthetics.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This isn't just for club Nintendo members is it? I'd like to get this but I'm not a club Nintendo member.

NX01Trekkie1992

NX01Trekkie1992 said:

I just wish these deals would come to the US, especially this one, I have the games already to get this for free

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

To quote Keanu Reeves, "whoa"! The new background gives it a Super Nintendo feel! Please bring this deal to the US, since my wallet has spider webs in it!!! I hope we also get Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters soon.

Rockmirth

Rockmirth said:

anyone know what the price will be if you dont register the games? and how much later we get it?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I actually agree with lz and link79. It does look better then the original. Boring black back drop was just that boring. What a good reason to give this game another spin!

LordTendoboy

LordTendoboy said:

Kirby's Adventure doesn't use red curtains. It just has a pink background. I don't know why some of the 3D Classics fill the entire screen (Excitebike, Xevious), while others have a fit 4:3 aspect ratio (Kirby's Adventure, Twinbee).

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

How about we all stop complaining, eh? Trust me if we didn't get Kid Icarus all of you would be b****ing about that. Just be glad we're getting it...

Anyway, this looks awesome. I'm definitely going to be downloading this as soon as it hits the eShop. :)

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@shinesprite

My minor grip is the same; it's just not as dark and night-time-ish enough compared to the original. However, I'm sure it will have a "background dimming" feature like Kirby, in which case it may look just fine and evening-like enough for me.

Ryno

Ryno said:

OK.... watched that video and my thought was I rather play this game on my TV with the black background with a NES controller. I agree with warioswoods, that backdrop doesn't look that great.

eirikr

eirikr said:

I don't like the frame :( like in 3D Classic Kirby I am very disappointed just for that frame, why they just don't UPDATE it, it is 2011, widescreen, hello????

Punny

Punny said:

It's beautiful... Not only will it incorporate 3D, but it also has updated backgrounds!

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

I personally have no problem with the backdrops....
Let's see how it looks in 3D ^.^

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

This looks great in my opinion. Geez, I hope this deal comes to America very soon, please! I love Kid Icarus.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Wow, I love the backdrops. Maybe I can actually get past the third level in this version... lol.

shoopdawoop70

shoopdawoop70 said:

dammit, it's not widescreen... that's 3 3d classics in a row with no widescreen, big n! Come on! At least make link to the past widescreen! honestly!

Birdman

Birdman said:

Eh, KI doesn't really seem to be a game for me. Plus those sound effects and the game's difficulty would drive me bonkers.

Lobster

Lobster said:

Yet another NA gamer hoping the deal comes here. I've already qualified if it does. I was a bit young for the NES era (I was about four when SNES came out) so I have no first hand memories of Kid Icarus but this looks great to me!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Can't wait to play this, hopefully, they had the option to switch between 3D and classic mode too. I like the new 3D layout but I also want to play the old style sometimes too.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

I'm digging these new backgrounds. It feels like they gave the game the "Super Mario All Stars" treatment.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Hmm. It feels odd, with the new backdrops but what looks to be the original character/enemy sprites. Wish they'd slightly upgraded everything, though I get why they'd need to change the black backgrounds. If the deal comes to the States, I'd definitely take a free download... would have to think about a 6.99 purchase, though.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Sheesh, they actually remade this game a little and there's still nitpicking. I think this is fantastic!

Personally, I think the blackness in the original was a little unimaginative, so I'm glad that they went for a more artistic look with the volcano and cave landscapes. That means that the overworld level will look much, much better, as well as the dungeons, Skyworld, shops, and the Palace in the Sky. The whole game ought to benfit. I eagerly await for this to come out in the U.S.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Damn... looks like I will HAVE to buy this as I wait for the new Kid Icarus and Kid Icarus:OMaM.

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

Can't wait to ge this, even if I have to wait.

I like the fact that they put new backgrounds in. Now the Underworld seems more like Hell. I trust Skyworld will look more like Heaven then? I wish the offer was coming here. Kid Icarus on N3DS featuring Pit, Palentina, and Medusa, as well as others.

P.S. Why aren't NES games in the Virtual Console already? I mean, I'm an Ambassador, but I want to use save states!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This should really change Kid Icarus for the better. Before, it was hard to imagine how the 3D would work on the original game because there were very simple backgrounds, but this fixed that. Adding new life to a classic is always a good thing if Super Mario All-Stars is anything to go by.

Obviously, this will be my favorite 3D Classic.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

The reason why many of these games don't offer widescreen is because the NES hardware as built around the screen having 240 scan lines of 256 pixels each. Expanding this area would require recoding the entire game engine from scratch, rather than just porting the original code.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Can't wait to get this one ;) The added background is just icing on the cake. This game is amazing, even when the background is solid black ;) This is a must have for every Nintendo/vintage gaming/platformer fan! The music is still stuck in my head all these years later... hehe

Ren

Ren said:

I understand this screen ratio but with Kirby theres no excuse. Kirby has a chunk of the bottom cropped off already for item info leaving the gameplay area almost at widescreen proportion as is. This means they could have literally left it as is and let the bottom portion fall onto the bottom screen and the top would nearly fit the existing widescreen. It's pretty sad that they couldn't have done that.
If you have Kirby 3d look at it and you'll see what I mean, it's super annoying. As it is now it's so dinky it hurts your eyes to see it you have to look closer than you should with 3d.