3DS Beats First Year DS Sales in Just 8 Months

Posted by James Newton

What problem?

Nintendo made a lot of sales in the week running up to Black Friday: Mario and Zelda both hit record sales and the company sold over 500,000 Wii consoles in one day. The 3DS also hit a milestone on Saturday, overtaking the entire first-year sales of the Nintendo DS.

Reggie Fils-Aime confirmed to Time that in its first eight month on sales, the 3DS has surpassed the DS's 12 month total of 2.37 million units across North America alone.

That's not enough for Nintendo, though. Fils-Aime spoke to Fox Business and acknowledges the need to keep this momentum going, saying:

In the next five weeks, I need to sell a lot of Nintendo 3DS, Wii and software.

Sounds like a good business plan, but we're no experts.

[via techland.time.com, foxbusiness.com]

Aviator

Aviator said:

The real question for me is, how many of those in total were sold after the price drop.

Good to see the system is picking up, and hopefully more good software will come.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

At least now they should know that not everybody screams "Hooray, Nintendo releases a new system !" for no reason. Even after a really successful Wii and DS momentum it's the system sellers that count. (Be they remake or not.)

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i love my 3ds but i kind of wish that I had waited until the Zelda bundle had come out. I really want that 3DS lol

Tare

Tare said:

How many do you think are going to sell once Mario Kart 7 hits?

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Awesome

@Spookybif That was never confirmed. also that.... thing in the picture is justin bieber. I wasn't sure whether it was a boy or girl at first XD

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

I see that trashing Justin Bieber is still just as fun as declaring that your Wii is collecting dust (at IGN).

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

That's awesome, and this is all before Mario Kart 7 releases. This is further proof that nobody should listen to fringe fanboys.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Once Mario Kart hits here, 3DS is gonna skyrocket.
Once Monster Hunter hits Japan......yeah I don't need to say it.

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

I wish they would've at least held their prices until the two mario games came out... I really want to know if it was the outrageous price drop or the great titles. it's really sad.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

@Aviator: I woudln't worry about that question. A 3DS takes $100 to make. There is a significant profit with each one. And you know they make money one every game sold, too. I woudln't worry too about Nintendo's profits this season if pace keeps up through the year. A weak year can still finish strong.

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

I suppose we can thank the celebrity marketing along with the price drop, Christmas and the games, I bet the Bieb already had one like Dillon & Cole already played pokemon and dragon quest.

Bacon_Gal_Blaze

Bacon_Gal_Blaze said:

Great to see the 3DS Sales picking up steam, and with Christmas coming up I can't wait to see the full 12 month sales figures for 3DS! :-)

chaosjay

chaosjay said:

Nintendo posted a link to Bieber's new video (the one in the picture) on their 3DS Facebook page. There's a good 10 seconds of the video devoted to it.

NinjaMario

NinjaMario said:

Yay!!! OK. this RIGHT HERE is the only reason to some-what like Justin Bieber.

Yay 3DS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigrat

Bigrat said:

Yep thats a girl, so it must be Justin Bieber. Nintendo getting Justin Bieber for an add?

Ickaser

Ickaser said:

Well, that's very encouraging. Hopefully, it can duplicate this feat in the coming years.

sfogation

sfogation said:

now we now why the 3ds didn't sold well at first because of the price and games at launch now a price drop and better games like super mario 3d land and look at the results