Zelda Top Brass Discuss Link To the Past in 3D

Posted by James Newton

It could happen

The 3D Classics has taken in arcade games and 8-bit classics, but the potential for 3D remakes of games from the 16-bit era is mouthwatering.

In a recent GamesRadar interview, Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma revealed that he and Shigeru Miyamoto have discussed bringing the 3D treatment to Super Nintendo classic The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past:

Well actually, even Mr. Miyamoto himself has been talking recently about going back to the 2D Zelda games, in particular the ones that were designed with multiple levels to the world like A Link to the Past, and taking those 2D graphics and recreating them in 3D so that you could get a sense for the depth of those worlds. That's something that might be interesting to do, so I would say there might be a possibility of something like that in the future.

This isn't the first time we've heard such hints: back in May, Shigeru Miyamoto said he would be interested in seeing Link to the Past's world in 3D. Seems that idea has stuck with him, and we'd be surprised if Link's legendary 16-bit adventure didn't get the 3D Classics treatment in the near future.

[via gamesradar.com]

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

Well, it would be great to see at least one 3D Classic of a 2D game that is critically acclaimed to have stood the test of time. While many SNES and GBA + a few NES games come to mind, the depth of 3D could possibly look the very best in aLttP.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I can see the 3D looking pretty impressive on the world map and the sprawling levels. Nintendo hasn't done a Super Nintendo 3D Classic, so I don't see the harm in them doing it. If the idea has stuck with Miyamoto for the last several months, that means he is seriously thinking about it.

Link79

Link79 said:

Weren't they saying a while back we are only getting maybe 6 3D classics?
I thought it was too difficult to convert them.
It certainly would be nice to have something respectable instead of lame crap like Urban Champion.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

What would be awesome is an all new 2D Zelda game the style of ALttP.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

A Link to the Past would look amazing re-done in 3D. I loved the way Ghost Recon looks like you're playing with soldiers in a box, I presume the Zelda will look the same! Do this ASAP please Nintendo

Groovius

Groovius said:

Oh my God. :D

btw, I've heard this "only 6 3D Classics" thing before, but who said that? Not doubting you, I just want a cite...

... or maybe they're just not counting Urban Champion. :)

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

This only makes me think of the fact that a lot of SNES games would look great with a 3D treatment because of the mode 7 layers. Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid, and Kirby Superstar's opening movie come to mind.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

@12 I dont have a source but basically Nintendo noted how difficult and time consuming it was to turn games into 3D-Classics and thus stated that they would only be making 6 of them. All six are released or confirmed, but if it's a big title like this then they will probably make an exception.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Link to a Past isn´t that good. The first Zelda I call great was Link´s Awakening. Then we had Ocarina of Time, Majora´s Mask, Oracle games, Wind Waker...

Ryno

Ryno said:

20. Luffymcduck 09 Nov 2011, 16:53 GMT

I almost spit out my coffee when I read this. A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game. How can you think Link's Awakening is "great" but a Link to the Past "isn't that good" when they have such similar styles? Anyway, I would pass on this because A Link to the Past is fantastic as is.

Noire

Noire said:

As if, I have so many different copies of this game I don't need another!

looks around shiftily ... begins throwing money at the screen

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Link79 They said they had only 6 planned at the moment. Which means they could make more, they never left a definite answer for that. It is just certain game sites reported it as being only 6 games ever.

Mizore

Mizore said:

@Link: That's what I was thinking....I kinda didn't care since the games so far were games I could care less for...But now they announce Kirby's Adventure, and now a chance of ALttP happening. xD

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Yes... this would be my total unanimous 3D Classic buy out there. Xevious is just meh to me in 3D, let's see a TRUE classic!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Gawd I want this so much! Please make it happen, Ninty! This would also be significant in the way of SNES games being on eShop (unless this would be a full remake store release).

@tealovertoma
What you showed there, along with being breathtaking, is my dream for Zelda games, and games of other franchises on ANY Nintendo system. 2D using incredible graphics like that in the picture. I just pray Nintendo doesn't develop 3D tunnel vision like they did with N64 and GameCube, and we get to see a Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, etc. with 2D graphics looking like that! I see it was made by someone at Deviant Art, but you know 3DS, Wii, and definitely Wii U could do that. Might make that my desktop wallpaper!

Something else to add. The rain looks tremendously 3D in that picture. That pic is pretty representative of what a totally remade Link to the Past would look like on 3DS.

Nintendo3DSLife

Nintendo3DSLife said:

Thats intersesting.The game should be a 3D classic game thats needs to be release on eshop(well duh ya)because even though u have those zelda games on eshop,have a game that can be more classic fun like that game and show it in 3D.We all want to see.That game hasn been payn attention by ppl much so try to get ppl back to playn that game.:)

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

with all of the talk of another Zelda 3DS remake, and the new Zelda 3DS announced that isn't a remake, on a few forums/stories i actually suggested this!
Everyone seemed to be clamoring for a remake of Majora's Mask next, but I'd much rather see a Fully fledged remake of one of the old top down zelda's...the original, a link to the past, link's awakening, oracles of seasons/ages, any of those games.
But from the same perspective.
I mean, take those games, exactly, without changing the layout of the maps or locations of anything or the way the dungeons are, for the most part anyway, and recreate it in the 3rd person, behind the back perspective of console Zelda games since OoT that we all know and love!!
Think about! They;d have to make the game from scratch, but keep all characters, dialogue, story elements, items, dungeons, map, etc, the exact same as the original...just this time behind the back and with the same control scheme of OoT 3D!
And in fact, you could mix gameplay. At certain points of certain dungeons or what have you, the view would automatically shift to the original, top down perspective. Then when you complete a puzzle that required that perspective and exit the room, the camera shifts again behind the back. I think that would make for an incredible remake, and a true REmake of the game.
Who would love to see that?
I know I would.
Or if they don't do it on the 3DS, imagine if they did it on Wii U? With next gen graphics?
I excite myself even thinking about that. It would be incredible!
And now that i think about it..on both wii u and 3DS we could get both perspectives at the same time!
Imagine if the touch screen on either system is the top down, original perspective (albeit in the new graphics engine of course) and the top screen or the TV is the new, behind the back perspective.
They could rework some of the puzzles and really make it very interesting to have the player use both perspectives at the same time!

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

That would be nice. Not sure if I would pick up another copy of this game though, but it is my favorite game of the Zelda series.

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

i definately will get this one. this is one of my favorite ones. though, one thing is i wouldnt mind owning the copy that was made for the gba...

Jonisme

Jonisme said:

My Legend of Zelda Anniversary Resolution is: Play every Zelda game on the 3DS. Working on Oot and 4Swords, hoping to get Links Awakening. So to Link to the Past I say, "BRING IT ON!"

bored_monk

bored_monk said:

I'd love to have this on the 3DS. I could care less about it being in 3D, I just want to be able to play it anywhere at anytime.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

@drumsandperc92 (30.): I wouldn't like if they meddled with the 2D Zelda games. The story and characters would have less of an impact on me compared to the first time i played the game. And since i think it's no problem to have all the 2D games on the VCs nearly everybody should have access to them.
And your idea about the perspective on the WiiU ... If i can't play the game in 2D as well why have it displayed on a screen ? And if i can play it in 2D the 3D version will suffer because objects in varying vertical positions wouldn't be possible.
If any 2D Zelda game needs a remake or a successor it's Zelda II. The gameplay would be quite unique for Nintendo and they could make a much more enjoyable game out of this one imo.