WayForward Working on Shantae for 3DS Virtual Console

Posted by James Newton

(Still)

In the five months or so that the 3DS Virtual Console has been up and running, we've only seen one Game Boy Color game, the rather magnificent The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX. Other developers and publishers are looking into the service though, with WayForward investigating rereleasing its GBC classic Shantae.

The studio used its blog to respond to fan questions about bringing the genie's first adventure to a new audience, saying:

We'll also bring you any genie-related updates right here at Nintendo Life, of course.

[via wayforward.com]

Red-acteur

Red-acteur said:

Ha ! SUCK ON THAT, skyrocketed prices ! I'm gonna have my Shantae for less than 5 euros and I'm gonna taste victory !

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

This news didn't just make my day, it made my Life! I've gotten screwed multiple times now trying to acquire a copy of Shantae and finally gave up on it after a few hundred dollars were sent with no game coming in return. This will be a release that I sit and refresh my 3DS over and over until the eShop updates and I can finally get my Shantae!

WayForward... you guys Rock! :D

Samholy

Samholy said:

geez. the game is THAT good ? the eshop version is in my wishlist, but didnt get it yet because of the price.

Link79

Link79 said:

Heck yeah! The original to me was alot better than Risky's revenge.
Let's hope this arrives soon!
Thanks WayForward!

Joco84

Joco84 said:

How about they look at reducing the price of Risky's Revenge too eh?

I mean, more expensive than Links Awakening DX.... .come on!!!

NX01Trekkie1992

NX01Trekkie1992 said:

that's good news, I've never played it myself, but as hard as some have pursued a copy of this game... good to see they can be made happy, and I may pick up the game myself. And of course always good to see more support for the 3DS VC, especially more GBC games

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Please let this happen!
At the very least this will be an amazing bargain. And while i could see the amazing quality in the DSiWare game it just didn't really click with me (7.5/10, have to replay this one some day).
But i get the feeling it will be different with this one and if / once it's up i will definitely download it day one. :)

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Good game, but this doesnt really confirm any ideas of when or if it will even be coming. We all know GBC games are coming - they're just going to be a long while. Hopefully this one arrives earlier than others if it is released.

LordAndrew

LordAndrew said:

"We have nothing to confirm at this time, but we can say that we are actively pursuing the re-release of ‘Shantae’ on the 3DS Virtual Console. As soon as we have anything to report, we will let you know. Until then, keep an eye on our Facebook and Twitter pages for future updates."

Whoa, it is completely identical. I thought it looked different, but five months'll do that to you.

Hejiru

Hejiru said:

@ImDiggerDan Yep. They're looking into putting Toki Tori on VC, and they're also making Toki Tori 2, for Steam and possibly eShop.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I'm so looking forward to this game. Can't wait. The DSiWare Shantae was awesome.

Arehexes

Arehexes said:

YYYEEESSSSSS, I thought i was going to have to keep bugging them on the google+ page but YES this made my day.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Don't worry, I saw it. Although... hey kids! Who'se up for a round of Graves saying "Where's My Shantae?!" every week again?! :D

Punny

Punny said:

Excellent. You can never have too many games about form-changing half-genies. :D

motang

motang said:

Shantae is by far one of the best original games on the DSiware, look forward to this one.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

My first Game Boy was the 1998 Game Boy Color when I was a senior in high school. When the Game Boy Advance came out, I knew it would only be time before all GBC games were discontinued. When Toys-R-Us slashed prices on their Game Boy Color lineup, I quickly bought out a crap load of games. Well, as much as my spare cash could afford. A lot of those turned out to be junk. Sadly, Shantea wasn't among the games I picked up. I got Rats instead. :'(
Untitled

LordAndrew

LordAndrew said:

@39 Having the sequel doesn't mean you can't get the original too. They're not the same game.