Super Mario Galaxy Orbits London 2012 Olympic Games

Posted by James Newton

It'll make sense

Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games takes inspiration from all corners of both companies' history: screenshots have reminded us of Yoshi Story, Sonic Adventure and more. But we've just received more screenshots showing the most universe-shaking crossover yet.

Despite earlier rumours that Sonic would appear in Super Mario Galaxy 2, the two universes have now collided, as you can see in this shot of Mario, Sonic, Tails and Luigi all teaming up to take down Dino Piranha.

Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games on Wii, with all its hedgehogs-in-space madness, is out next week. The 3DS version is released in February 2012.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

LOVE un Petey Piranha !
It will be interesting to see how this part turns out and maybe it brings us one stop closer to a true Mario & Sonic platformer. :)

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

It's probably like the "Perfect Chaos On Ice!" battle from the last game... only in space. :P

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

When did Competitive Self-Powered Space Flight Plant Bashing become an Olympic sport???

I mean, I've been competing in local tournaments for years, but I never thought it'd reach international recognition so soon... and I thought I would have heard about it from some place other than Nintendo Life...

Yosher

Yosher said:

That's not Petey Piranha. That's Dino Piranha.
Petey
Dino

Still, that looks pretty neat. I'm surely getting this at some point, if not at launch!

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I, for one, don't like the crossovers. Sonic & company just don't fit comfortably alongside Mario-verse characters, in my mind.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

First of all, it's Dino Piranha, not Petey Piranha even though they're probably cousins. I think I read in Nintendo Power's review of the game that there would be a Dino Piranha showdown, so this isn't that surprising to me. Still, I give Sega credit for Super Mario Galaxy references. It would be even more interesting if they took place in London.

Nintendo Power gave the game a decent to slightly good score, so I might consider the game for Christmas.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

having seen clips of this game, some of the events aren't necessarily olympic related, rather they have a mario/sonic twist or theme to them. which is really neat. it would be great however if we got a mario and sonic platformer, or even a smash bros- style fighter but with SEGA characters, as well as nintendo ones for a change.

eirikr

eirikr said:

I hate to see Sega in the world of Mario , it feels like it lost exclusivity .

Punny

Punny said:

I must admit that it's kind of cool seeing Mario fly across the galaxy with Sonic...

ChibiJib

ChibiJib said:

I think I know what nintendo and sega are doing, Instead of making an "olympic game" game with mario and sonic characters thrown in, They're making a game to see what it would be like if the olympics were in THEIR universe... makes sense?

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope this brings us a step closer to a Mario and Sonic cross-over platformer, I would much rather have that instead of another olympics game.

Infernapeking

Infernapeking said:

Well seems like Sonic should be Third Party Exclusive for Nintendo since it does better and has more games on Nintendo Platforms.
Dino Piranha coo

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Sigh... now I really wish they would release that Mario/Sonic platformer crossover instead of releasing tons of olympic stuff over the last 6 years...

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Why can't the real Olympic Games be more like this? :D

I'm actually considering getting the 3DS version of this. :)

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Gahhh!!! SEGA and Nintendo - stop teasing us and make the epic Mario & Sonic adventure game you know we all want!

@30 - I often think what would happen if Nintendo bought SEGA. Honestly, I think Nintendo would make a better Sonic game than SEGA themselves...

Thenumber1yoshi

Thenumber1yoshi said:

Yeah from what I read at an interview article at The Sonic Stadium the only reason Mario and Sonic could be in a game together was only due to a major event like the Olympics, though anyways I wouldn't mind seeing Sonic used as a partner in one of the Paper Mario RPG games, yeah I know that's not that major a spotlight role for Sonic but at least it would have him and Mario working together in something other than Olympic games and with a better story than the Adventure Tours story modes in the handheld versions of these games, plus since Sonic's chatty anyway like the Paper Mario partners, well you'd at least have to admit that's a better idea for a Mario Sonic crossover than a bunch of sports minigames.