Super Famicom Reaches 21 Years Old Today

Posted by James Newton

Finally able to drink

It might seem like just yesterday, but it's 21 years ago today that Nintendo's 16-bit leviathan took its first step onto Japanese soil.

The Super Famicom launched on in Japan on Wednesday 21st November for ¥25,000, selling out of its first shipment of 300,000 units within a few hours: hardly surprising considering it launched with Super Mario World and F-Zero.

Last year to celebrate the console's 20th anniversary, Corbie Dillard shared his personal Super Famicom story explaining just why this console holds such a strong grip on the hearts of Nintendo fans.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

It might be simple in design and execution, but this machine really did create some good, long-lasting memories, not to mention a stellar bunch of games. It's still up there as one of my favorite Nintendo consoles.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

Best memory's ever, playing Link to the past and Super mario world and I'll never forget Mario Kart.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

my second favourite console behind the N.E.S, the super famicom/SNES had some of the best titles to grace the system- super metroid, super mario world, donkey kong country, killer instinct, f-zero, legend of zelda: link to the past to name but many.

happy 21st! :-D

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

My favorite Retro Console. My uncle gave me his old one when I was eight (I'm 13 almost 14 now) and now I can experience the classics before "hardcore" gaming.

wqerty

wqerty said:

been playing A Link to the Past this thanksgiving break, can't believe that game, along with snes, is already 20 years old, it's still brilliant and feel just like any solid game today.

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

Never had a SNES. I was always a Sega fan myself, rocking Sonic the Hegehog, Toejam and Earl and Gunstar Heroes while all my mates stuck to Super Mario World and the likes. Whilst I don't regret a moment of it, I would like to pick up a SNES one of these days.

nintygaming

nintygaming said:

Never again will there ever be another Nintendo console that matches the perfection or supremeness that the SNES held (sorry Wii-U for my lack of faith). The SNES was not only perfect, but it also had a perfect library of games. It had the greatest Zelda game of all time, the greatest RPG of all time (Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy 6/Super Mario RPG......take your pick) and the greatest platformer of all time (Yoshi's Island or Super Mario 3 All Stars....again..take your pick). If I was deserted on an island, and had to choose only 1 console, it would be the SNES. Its still undefeated. Ninten-does what Sega dont. Long live the King!

sc100

sc100 said:

I always thought that the legal drinking age in the UK and the rest of Europe was generally 18. Am I wrong?

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

Finally able to drink everywhere in the world, how's that? Or are there places that require you be older than 21 to drink? D:

Marios-love-child

Marios-love-child said:

Wow really doesnt seem that long, I'll never forget that Christmas morning waking up to find a snes under the tree.

Greatest games console ever made

Hokori

Hokori said:

ahhh a great console.... maybe I shoul try and Complete my collection of SNES games I have on the VC.... DKC comes to mind since its so hard

Eddsnake

Eddsnake said:

'All of this perfection occured, even though American gamers got screwed and did not receive classics like Terranigma, FF V, Tales of Phantasia, Secret of Mana 2, Star Ocean, and numerous others. None of these games arrived, and the SNES is still the greatest........that says alot!'

Nintygaming, surprised that no one else pointed it out to you but in Europe we got properly 'screwed' and never saw official releases of FFIII (VI), Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG OR Earthbound, as well as getting most games months after the US. I still love the SNES more than any other console though, in my opinion only the PS2 can rival it for the best library of games, and therefore the best console, there's ever been.