Nintendo's 3D Samurai Game Slices eShop in Japan

Posted by James Newton

A cut above?

Nintendo has revealed a new piece of downloadable 3DS software for Japan — swordfighting game Samurai Hirari Sakura, or Nimble Sakura Warrior, roughly translated.

The download, due for release in Japan next week for 700 Yen, puts you in the shoes of a passionate swordfighting student who must prove his skill. At first you'll take on single opponents who easily telegraph their moves, letting you sidestep and counter-attack, but later you'll need to use special moves to take down multiple enemies and giant bosses.

As well as the standard story mode it has survival and time attack modes, there's also a neat use of the 3DS's pedometer. To take a break from the action you can head into a traditional Japanese garden with a cherry blossom tree; the more steps you take with your 3DS, the more blossom on the tree.

You can check out some videos at the Samurai Hirari Sakura website.

No word on a Western release yet, but we'll keep you updated.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

LittleFuryThing

LittleFuryThing said:

Reminds me a little bit of Onimusha - and that's fine with me. I love that game :)
Will need to know some more about the game but it seems quite interesting.

JayArr

JayArr said:

Reminded me of Onimisha too. =) Hope we get to see more quality 3D downloadable games like this soon.

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

A game with sword fighting that looks like it focuses on body movement. This could be interesting, but only if things get more fast paced than what i've seen so far.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

This looks interesting. It's looks like a mix of Swordplay Showdown Mode in Wii Sports Resort and the WiiWare game Rage of the Gladiator.

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Website has some interesting looking videos, also looks like a LOT of text that would need localizing. I'd be interested if it came to the US.

...of course I'm still pining for Line Attack Heroes, which never did :(

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

That character's a dude? Ah, whatever, that kind of thing shouldn't still surprise me at this point. That screenshot reminds me of Ocarina of Time.

DangerousDreams

DangerousDreams said:

Looks pretty interesting. If i was a betting man I'd say many others are just as, or even more intrigued. So how about NOA, why don't you tread Samurai Hirari Sakura in the states and give it a chance to blossom?

Henmii

Henmii said:

Another cool looking downloadable game for the 3DS from Nintendo! Very good!

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like Nintendo has finally given up on Art-style/franchise games on the download systems (a bit), and finally comes up with really new stuff with new characters. I mean, look at this game, The rolling western, Blockado and Freaky forms. And that's a very good thing!!