Next Zelda on 3DS a "Continuation of Past Efforts" says Aonuma

Posted by James Newton

What does that mean?

After the stellar success of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D there have been many calls for a 3D remake of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Series producer Eiji Aonuma has confirmed Nintendo is working on another 3DS Zelda game, but gave previous little else away.

Speaking to The Guardian, Aonuma was typically cagey when pressed for details:

I really can't talk about that! We are working on something, though. There was the Ocarina of Time, which was an adaptation of that title to the new platform. The new 3DS game will be a continuation of our efforts on that platform. (Laughs) I'm sorry, I can't say any more.

One conclusion to jump to is that Aonuma is referring to another entry in the DS series that includes Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, but it's entirely possible he's implying a 3D Zelda in the vein of Ocarina, or alluding to the 3D Classics Link to the Past vaguely hinted at yesterday.

Whatever form the new Zelda takes, at least they're making something.

[via guardian.co.uk]

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

Too many options to actually speculate on... Darn it, why are developers normally this secretive? :P

Cipher

Cipher said:

@Sir_Dragoon They already said in another interview the next Zelda 3DS game wouldn't be Majora's Mask 3D because, while they're still considering the idea, they didn't want to release two Zelda remakes one after the other. The next Zelda 3DS game will be a new game.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Well, we've already had both 2d and 3d remakes on 3ds (4 Swords was moderately high profile, and obviously ocarina),

Whatever it is, if it's 3d, I hope it plays like ocarina and not like spirit tracks/Phantom hourglass. Touch controls (in particular for movement) can go die in a fire.

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

So if their only efforts on the Nintendo 3DS have been a 3D remake isn't it obvious he's referring to another remake and not a continuation of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks? The aforesaid games were all for the DS so if the 3DS is a successor to the DS and not another iteration isn't the 3DS a differant platform?

Infernapeking

Infernapeking said:

This why I like Nintendo Developers. They wait for the appropriate time to tell us about the game instead give us news on everything every month like other developers does.

NintenHero

NintenHero said:

Yeah he shouldn't tell us anything about it yet cause it's too soon, let's just wait and see how epic it will be.

BenAV

BenAV said:

The more secrets they keep to themselves, the more exciting their E3 press conference ends up being.

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

Howzabout a proper Wind Waker-style game, which plays like your standard 3D Zelda game (Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, etc. as opposed to Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass) and HAS THE BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICS OF WIND WAKER!

Picola

Picola said:

@spookybif - that would be fantastic, a wind waker game, with cel shaded graphics in stereoscopic 3D. Please make it happen...

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

I personally would love to see the bright and vibrant toon shaded zelda world brought to 3d whether it be a new game or a remake. whatever graphical style they go for i am expecting a better note taking map (ie the ability to zoom or just larger maps in general)!

JeanLuc_Vaycard

JeanLuc_Vaycard said:

No more freakin remakes please! Good godI think people just want the same games released over and over again with some minor updates. Time to move on.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Well, I agree with Spookybif (12.) on that they just have to bring a true successor to Wind Waker to a 3D handheld.
On the other hand i don't know if it's the right time yet. I mean i loved playing around with the camera in the GC game. But i don't know if i'll ever end up buying a Circle Pad Pro or a redesigned 3DS, so … :|

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

We're not getting anything concrete on this in a while. Now back to pondering how I can soonest obtain Mario Kart 7...

Samholy

Samholy said:

majoras mask will be an instant buy. i never had a chance to play it, my n64 broke before it.

if its link to the past, well...not gonna buy. i mean, i did it so many times. even if it features 3D effect or a bonus dungeon.
please make it majora mask. pleeeaaasseearghll
even twilight princess would be an instant buy :-)

Adam

Adam said:

He mentioned the 3DS then said it would be a continuation of their efforts on that platform. I don't see how that could imply it will be like the DS games. Sounds like it'll be more like Ocarina.

But they already said it's not Majora and not a remake, so no, it isn't confirmed at all.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

@Bigdog
I remember seeing that fan art in Nintendo Power! I'd love to see a real game that looked like any of that artist's work.

Dodger

Dodger said:

I saw 3D pictures of Wind Waker. A new WW sequel would be absolutely amazing.

I would rather have a 3D Zelda on 3DS first. I love Phantom Hourglass but I want a game that uses the 3D well and isn't hamburger sized. If the thing is as powerful as the Wii then I want some games that aren't hamburger sized.

They mentioned they are working on a new 3DS Zelda in GameInformer. Said that it will be a game where "having 3D will be important". That's all I know.

Nintendo3DSLife

Nintendo3DSLife said:

agree.nintendo should make another zelda 3ds game.i want majora's mask on 3ds because since u have ocarina of time 3d out on 3ds,arent u forgettn that game?i mean there both n64 games so it would be fair if they have majora's mask on 3ds.

kingothekoopas

kingothekoopas said:

heh, zelda's getting better treatment than mega man. used to be, you had to wait a few years between zelda games, and a few months between mega man games.

SteveW

SteveW said:

I hope it's not Majora's Mask... I don't get the appeal of that game...

WreckItRyan

WreckItRyan said:

Although intriguingly vague, "that platform" appears to be directly referencing the Ocarina of Time 3D adaptation and so it seems that he is inferring that Majora's Mask is next!

Doma

Doma said:

Seems to me he's saying a continuation from the DS.
MM would be the same as OoT, an adaptation (in his words).

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Except he said they most likely were not doing a Majora's Mask 3D adaptation next in an earlier quote. He's just being so vague that all his statement really confirms is that there is another 3DS Zelda game on the way.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Sounds like he's referring to Majora's Mask or the Link to the Past 3D remake Miyamoto hinted at. We'll probably find out at GDC sinse that seems to be the popular place to show off portable Zeldas.

LordTendoboy

LordTendoboy said:

IT'S NOT A REMAKE! Learn to read people!

He said the next game will not be a remake, it will be an original Zelda built from the ground up. I don't want a Majora's Mask remake, or any remakes for that matter. New, original content is what the 3DS needs.

We already got remakes of Street Fighter 4, Ocarina of Time, StarFox 64, Rayman, Splinter Cell, etc. Need more original content please!

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Well the term "platform" in the games industry refers to consoles, handhelds, computers, etc. The "new platform" he's referring to is the 3DS, which is still fairly new.

JayArr

JayArr said:

I think he laughed because its going to be a remake. Everything else is smokescreen.

Ickaser

Ickaser said:

I personally prefer Zelda in a 3D world to 2D Zelda. A true successor to WW would be a dream come true.

SPEtheridge

SPEtheridge said:

He said in another interview that Majora;'s Mask would maybe come but after a new Zelda game for 3DS, and it would be more like the console games rather than the DS ones

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

"Previous Efforts." Which pretty much means another perfect Zelda game to be made. Maybe we can get a Skyward Sword 3D along the way, that would be really awesome.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I hope it's a totally new Zelda! It may be top-down or full 3D! It may be Windwaker-style, or a totally new style! Or maybe a sprite-based Zelda!

Anyway, if they go again for the Windwaker-style I hope it will be full 3D this time. Not top-down!

JimLad

JimLad said:

I hope he comes out of his bubble long enough to realise people don't want another touch control Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks game.
A new title in the vein of A Link to the Past would be epic in 3D.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

So, after porting OoT to the 3DS, they decided, why not? Let's keep going and make another Zelda game!

So I guess it'll play like OoT 3D, but with a new story, and no, it's not Majora's Mask.

NintendoZelda

NintendoZelda said:

Am I the only one who wants a sequel to Spirit Tracks?
I really loved the two Zelda titles for the DS, (PH, SS) and I think they should make a sequel to them, obviously for Nintendo 3ds graphics that are at the height of the console.
In my view, the Toon Link is fine for the Nintendo DS titles (DSi, DS lite, 3ds, etc.) And manage to link with Staylus is perfect, because you have to take advantage of the touch screen.
An opinion nothing more, and please DO NOT REMAKES!

(view the original comment in Spanish here)