More Mario Kart 7 Courses Revealed

Posted by James Newton

Dare you discover them?

If you want to find out some of the retro courses that have made the grade in Mario Kart 7, the latest update to the game's official Japanese website might throw some light on the situation.

The game's Shell, Banana and Leaf Cup courses and six battle arenas have now been unveiled, with selections from Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii all up there. If you want to see the original courses included in the game, the Mushroom, Flower and Star Cups are up there too, but do so at your own peril, though we're especially fond of the World 1-1 inspired course from Super Mario Bros..

[via nintendo.co.jp]

pkee

pkee said:

Really looking forward to this :)
Sooooo many games though, but I suppose, no bad thing!

Chrno-x

Chrno-x said:

Nitendo should be thankful that they have such a great first party developer like Retro Studios. Those guys are truly amazing, they have so much new ideas to those old fashioned franchise. I really hope that MK7 will sell great and who knows maybe finally Nintendo would let Retro create their own new IP or somethin like that or maybe they will make a new Star Fox? more adventure type like "Star Fox Adventures" (that would be great too).

ImDiggerDan

ImDiggerDan said:

<Spoiler>

The DK snow mountain course from the DS version. I hope they kept the hidden item box that always gives you a star! That deals with those pesky blue shells quite nicely.

<Spoiler>

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

wow the new courses look much better and more exciting than the retro courses. that really means something!!

RVN

RVN said:

I have not read anything about MK7 since last summer PLEASE STOP THIS!!!! D':

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Didn't we know about these courses already? I did anyway. I'm very interested to see the Lightning and Special Cups though. I don't think they really picked a good selection of retro tracks though, but they never do. I mean of all the N64 tracks to pick from they go with Luigi Raceway? I'd also like some more GCN love.

milkman12

milkman12 said:

using google translate, i went to the japanese nintendo website and searched mariokart7. reading the info, it looked as if it said that collecting coins unlocked parts.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Nintendo is already wearing me down on my decision not to buy into the 3DS. Once a new Zelda or Metroid show up I'm in trouble.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I like how they Bowserfied N64 Big Donut by putting the Koopa Clown Car in the middle of the stage. It seems like they're sticking with one music track for all three new battle stages, which is traditional to the Mario Kart series overall but a change from Mario Kart Wii.

Neo Bowser City's music reminds me of Toad's Turnpike, and Piranha Slider looks nice. I agree with 6ch6ris6 that the new courses are looking better than the retro ones, though that's not saying the retro ones are bad. I'm fine with spoliling Mario Kart information since this is just Mario Kart and not Super Mario 3D Land or Skyward Sword. I want to see a taste of what to expect from what's going to be my favorite Mario Kart soon.

Onett

Onett said:

I've got to keep my fingers crossed for GBA Sky Garden or Donut Plains.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@22 You're in luck. Those are two of the three Wii courses (along with Maple Treeway) that have been revealed so far.

Daisy Cruiser from Double Dash, woohoo!

Neonpowerstar

Neonpowerstar said:

@20 Unfortunately, you can be 99% sure that Sky Garden won't be in, because it was in MKDS and Nintendo never reuses retro tracks. Unless they changed that rule, which is why there's still a very small chance of it being in. You shouldn't get your hopes up for Donut Plains either, because all but one of the retro tracks have been revealed, and the last one will probably be an N64 track because there are already 3 revealed N64 tracks.
@24 Actually the fourth Wii course (Koopa Cape) has also been revealed, but we don't know which race it will be yet.

rayquaza_master

rayquaza_master said:

By the way does anyone know what the red 7 item is?If you watch one of the trailers and keep tapping the pause button when mario hits the item box at the start and a red 7 (identical to the one on the logo) quickly flashes by.Any ideas, anyone?

Neonpowerstar

Neonpowerstar said:

@rayquaza_master
Well, in Super Circuit there were four bowser's castle tracks; MKDS had Bowser Castle 2 and MKW had Bowser Castle 3. 7 will have Bowser Castle 1.
BTW, we already know what the red 7 does; it's called the Lucky 7 and it gives you 7 items which circle around your kart. Go here for more information.

12345678a

12345678a said:

@Chrno-x Yes, but the Retro Studios department of Nintendo aren't developing this game, it's being developed by Nintendo proper. Retro Studios are only helping with the Donkey Kong related parts of the game. Nintendolife shouldn't really be listing Retro Studios as the sole developer.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

The red number 7 gives boatloads of coins if you win three-in-a-row (like a slot machine) :D Seriously, I have no idea what it does; I just hope it doesn't have the abuse potential of Blue Spiny Shells...

So, Koopa Cape is possibly one of the Lightning Cup tracks? I wonder what the others are? Also, I hope they keep the shortcut tunnel in Koopa-Troopa Beach MK64, but from previous experiences, Nintendo has removed previous shortcuts/ alt routes from retro cup courses in the DS/Wii releases. Oh, and I'm so glad they kept Waluigi Pinball; that was my friend's favorite MK DS course. I had a hard time recording a decent ghost run in the pinball course.

I hope someday the do the cheesey course and the rainy Luigi course from the GBA super circuit. Oh, and Nintendo please release bonus DLC cups!!!

Neonpowerstar

Neonpowerstar said:

@StarDust
Two of the others in the Lightning Cup are GCN Dino Dino Jungle and DS Airship Fortress; the last course has not been revealed yet. Also, if you look closely at the N64 Koopa Troopa Beach you can see that the tunnel is still there (but part of the beach is now underwater, so it might look a little out of place) and apparently can be accessed by hang-gliding.

rayquaza_master

rayquaza_master said:

Just saw the lucky 7 on super mario wiki, It would be cool if you could steal that player's star while they still have it and then hit them with it. :p

Neonpowerstar

Neonpowerstar said:

@super-mario-fan
Mushroom Cup: Toad Circuit, Daisy Hills, Cheep-Cheep Lagoon, Shy Guy Bazaar
Flower Cup: Wuhu Loop 1, Mario Circuit, Music Park, Rock Rock Mountain
Star Cup: Piranha Slider, Wario Ship, Neo-Bowser City, Wuhu Loop 2
Special Cup: TBA
Shell Cup: N64 Luigi Raceway, GBA Bowser Castle 1, Wii Mushroom Gorge, DS Luigi's Mansion
Banana Cup: N64 Koopa Troopa Beach, SNES Mario Circuit 2, Wii Coconut Mall, DS Waluigi Pinball
Leaf Cup:N64 Kalimari Desert, DS DK Pass, GCN Daisy Cruiser, Wii Maple Treeway
Lightning Cup: TBA
These tracks are confirmed but they have not been placed in a cup yet: GCN Dino Dino Jungle, DS Airship Fortress, Wii Koopa Cape, Jungle Japes (the third demo track), a snow course with a Super Mario Galaxy themed background(the name has not been revealed yet), Bowser's Castle, and Rainbow Road

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

I am seriously loving the new track design in this game. Plus, they also brought back Koopa Troopa Beach and Daisy Cruiser. Totally sold now.

Super-Mario-Fan

Super-Mario-Fan said:

Yay my favorite courses are coming back!!! Cant wait for this game! My favorite new course seems to be Music park. Don't you think its weird that Waluigi hasn't been confirmed yet?