3DS System Update Due Before 8th December

Posted by James Newton

A little delayed

The much-anticipated 3DS system update has suffered a minor delay, and will now be available before 8th December.

The update — previously thought to be available on 30th November — is now in the final stages of testing and will see launch within the next ten days.

Once available, the update adds 3D video recording, the 3DS system transfer ability and new games for the StreetPass Mii Plaza.

Update: It's confirmed this delay affects users in Japan, North America and Europe.

Thanks to all our users who sent this in.

[via nintendo.com]

Lobster

Lobster said:

Boo, was hoping for the update for my birthday, Thursday the first. Oh well. A week is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

"Your 10 ambassador GBA games will be out by the end of the year!"
Nintendo

Gives date which is exactly the END of the year

"You'll finally get your 10 GBA games on 2011-12-31!"
Nintendo

December 28

"Sorry Ambassadors, you'll be getting yor 10 GBA games sometime 2012."
Nintendo

>REPEAT<

Nintendo64Boy

Nintendo64Boy said:

Sigh.... I was looking forward to this, too. And the ambassador games are gonna be out before Christmas, I hope.

nick_gc

nick_gc said:

That's really annoying as I've just sold my 3DS on eBay based on the assumption it would be out tomorrow and I could transfer everything across to my new Zelda 3DS. Nintendo, I am dissapoint.

James

James said:

@xXDaKidXx Source is Nintendo of America but I'm guessing it's worldwide. I'm investigating with Nintendo Europe.

Also note that due to lead times the adverts will continue to say 30th November even if the update is delayed in Europe.

Cipher

Cipher said:

That's fine, it's only a week. :) It's still coming, so I don't get why people are so angry, but there you go.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

@Lohengriehn the update was never announced by Nintendo to be for 4th November. They said they would make an announcement on 5th November about the update, and they announced some features the update would include, but no date. It was only in adverts around the 21st of the month that it was stated as 30th Nov, and even then the caption simply said "3D video camera available to download from 30th Nov" and makes no mention of the full update. We are all looking forward to this update, but it is by no means the end of the world. At least it's not as bad as the N64 days.......

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

You say the 3DS is dying (to you) yet you pass on one of the best games you can purchase for the 3DS? Hmm, you're going to miss out big time.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

Very good point Dark_TeeJay. With Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land, we have two amazing games released in quick succession. This is the best time so far to own a 3DS!

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

@nick_gc: Try explaining the buyer this situation, and maybe you can convince him to let you ship the 3DS on Dec 8th with no consecuences for the delay, no harm in asking,

nick_gc

nick_gc said:

@7ATalavera Thanks, yeah, I've emailed them with a link to a news article as proof of the delay. My item page stated that I would post this weekend after the update has been released so hopefully they'll understand. Still, it would be annoying for them., so I hope they don't mind too much.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

This is no biggie deal. Mario Kart 7 will keep me occupied through those delayed days.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

I'd much rather a system update be delayed for a week than to have something which doesn't work properly and needs a fix sent out.

Tare

Tare said:

I wonder if swapnote will be added. They said that we "would" be getting it in December, now the update is in December.
I hope they don't delay the Ambassador games until next year.

Anyway, I'll be playing SM3DL until MK7 hits, then I'll be playing that until the update, at which point I'll continue to play MK7

winter123

winter123 said:

I don't care about any of this. give me an ACTUAL rpg (not paper mario bs) in 3D such as the one in mii plaza, only completely fleshed out with a huge story mode/quest. Don't care who develops it. Also those GBA games would be nice. Even though i played most of them.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Imo it would be best not to show the advert with the previous date. I can't imagine Ninty wants any more disgruntled customers than they already have.
Personally i'm in no hurry to get the update since i don't plan on recording much and will not have beaten the recent Mii Plaza games for quite some time. It's great they give us more though.

@winter123: Which is why i ordered Tales of the Abyss on Sunday. (No, i don't have a PS2, stop asking.) ;)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked could maybe also fit your bill. :)

Kevin

Kevin said:

Surprised we haven't heard anything about the GBA games yet. December's tomorrow.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I blame society for the lack of patience in all of us :P

Also, the NES ambassador games were not delayed. As a matter of fact, they came out earlier than the announced date :D

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

Wow, you people sure do get worked up about a little delay to the system update. What's the big deal?

And the GBA games will come. Relax.

Linky_97

Linky_97 said:

I just did read the post in the eshop and this is what it says:

"Dear customer, On account of the upcoming system update which will arrive <b>BY</b> 8 December, Nintendo eShop will be unavailable for a limited period while the main server undergoes essential maintenance"

That means it can be any day BEFORE 8 December!

Squid

Squid said:

Eh, it doesn't really matter that much to me anyway. I have plenty of games to tide me over, so I think I can wait a week.

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

Honestly, Nintendo's been delaying a lot of things 3DS-wise, so I could understand people's annoyance ( Including mine ). Of course, I don't think this is omg-end-of-the-world-must-sell-my-3DS bad.

I'll be eagerly awaiting this, but until then, Mario Kart 7!

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Sigh, well now I can stop checking as frequently for it but my exams start on the 7th. :(

Hokori

Hokori said:

its not so bad... I mean I looked at the video on the eshop and the recording looks better then I thought, I mean how bad is the camera really? I take horrible pics and they dont look good on the 3DS, but then again it could be me not nintendo, Ill just wait and see if my videos look as good as the eshop ones

AutoSkip

AutoSkip said:

I am quite certain that the gba ambassador games will be out by "the end of the year".

It's just a question of which year...

pntjr

pntjr said:

0_0
Oh! I totally did not see this coming! (Sarcastic voice)
It's november 29th.
You'd think we'd get the news by now.
Sigh
So much for hopes and dreams...

milkman12

milkman12 said:

@Cipher

the reason why everyone is all pissd is because the 3DS has had WAY TOO MANY DELAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

titles,eshop(several times), and probobly the last ten ambassador games.

Bigrat

Bigrat said:

I'm supposed to get MK7 on Dec 8... Title said before 8th? that means we could get the update any time now? I would rather have nintendo say it comes out next year and then have a surprise and have it come out early in december. That is a good surprise. I dont like how everything you get after the original release date. Just a tease.

kingofe3

kingofe3 said:

The new update seems to be taking effect in Japan. New Love Plus and Monster Hunter Tri G are getting demos off the e-Shop, though you can only play them 30 times. I can't wait to see what other games are going to get the demo treatment. Also can't wait to see how DLC is going to work out.

mazz

mazz said:

I can wait for 3D video, but does anyone know when ambassadors are supposed to get the update for the gba games we were promised before the end of 2011?