You Don't Just Play as Mario in Super Mario 3D Land

Posted by James Newton

Back to the land of intrigue once more

There's still a lot of mystery surrounding Super Mario 3D Land — remember the Luigi statue spotted in the enormous panoramic artwork? It seemed to hint at an appearance from the nervous brother in Mario's next adventure. While we think you can probably see where we're going with this, our next sentence may contain spoilers.

Nintendo has confirmed via a Japanese Iwata Asks that Luigi will indeed be playable in Super Mario 3D Land, with the first video footage below.

Super Mario 3D Land is just a few weeks away. We'll have a review before launch.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

ville10

ville10 said:

Another video in the interview pretty much confirms a variation of the Tanooki Suit, with which Mario can turn into a statue. This suit has a red scarf to distinguish it from the regular one.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Thats great news but i wonder if he's available from the start or if you have to unlock him. Because of previous Mario platformer releases this generation it seems more likely that he isn't available from the start. If he isn't, I wonder how you get to play as him?
@Lz20XX I'm not sure if you're serious but Waluigi would be a pretty cool playable character but Wario would be better.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Meh, not very exciting. Luigi's always a strange unlock. Simply Mario with ironically greater jumping and thats it.

ChaosTheChao

ChaosTheChao said:

Throw in Yoshi, Cloud flowers and More than 6 levels per world and i'll be very happy. I'm happy already, but that would make me very happy.

I-U

I-U said:

This was pretty much a given. Luigi has been playable in the major Mario platformers since after Super Mario Sunshine. Had they not included him, the game would've likely gone under fire and that's not something Nintendo can take a chance with regarding one of their 3DS selling titles this year.

Ren

Ren said:

awesome. Be nice if they started back towards the old days of playing as Mario or Luigi interchangably. or even choosing from more like in Mario 2. Anyway this is great news. I wasn't expecting to be so excited about this, but I'm getting there now. I'm going to have jump in front of a truck to afford all the good games coming soon, I really hope it means Nintendo can save this console and build some good buzz for WiiU all at once.

OrdonianLink

OrdonianLink said:

I'm just hoping it's not like Super Mario Galaxy... you only got 1 extra level from playing through the game again... and the level wasn't even that good.

Squid

Squid said:

Just as long if he's not playable at certain times and on certain levels, like in Super Mario Galaxy 2. And also that he isn't only playable after you beat the game. Because if I get this, I really want to play as Luigi all the time, because the aged Charles Martinet sounds really as Mario.

DM666

DM666 said:

I've got Arkham city, uncharted 3 is on the way yet this is the game I'm looking forward to the most!!, don't let me down mazza!!

Tare

Tare said:

I like Luigi more, he's goofier.

Although, his voice sounds a little weird. Is this the voice for Japan or eveyone?

Milkman-123

Milkman-123 said:

@LuigiSmash98

very true. the point is, mario is a non-character. he has no personality who's only purpose is to rescue a princess, who doesnt have the common sense to have some security in her kingdom. at least luigi has a degree in survival instinct. and by the way, how come tails in considered inferior to sonic? they ran at the exact same speed in sonic 2 and tails can freaking fly! but we have to root for the arrogent blue tw*t, when we could be rooting for a giant squirrell with two tails that can fly.
luigi is superior, just like tails.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I don't mind if he is an unlockable after you beat the game. It is the perfect excuse to play the game again, as it was in SMG1.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Why didn't Luigi go for the Tanooki Leaf? I want to see Luigi in a Tanooki suit! DX

WildMan

WildMan said:

meh.. This isn't that great since Luigi isn't that great. Personally I think MArio Kart 7 will gear up to be a better game than this.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

If he's selectable from the beginning, I'll only play as him. I'm a huge Luigi fan and this is great, but expected news :)

WildMan

WildMan said:

I think they should stick with Mario since it's A Mario game and just use their time on adding more levels and stuff..

iBeatz

iBeatz said:

You probably won't be able to play as birdo but I admit it would be cool if you could play as blue toad like in nsmb wii

Milkman-123

Milkman-123 said:

i read on the japanese iwata asks and google translate leads me to believe he's an unlockable character for when you complete the game.

rayquaza_master

rayquaza_master said:

I would spend $20 extra to get this game right now, especially since luigi is in it, I CAN'T F**KING WAIT!