Sonic Generations Japanese Site Opens with New Details

Posted by James Newton

Some good, some bad

Sonic Generations — the ultimate celebration of everything fans love about SEGA's iconic hero — just veered dangerously into "uh-oh" territory.

The game's official Japanese site just opened and revealed that alongside Sonic, Tails, Dr Robotnik and Metal Sonic, the so-called ultimate life form Shadow the Hedgehog will make an appearance, along with classic Sonic Adventure 2: Battle stage Radical Highway, which was previously hinted at.

It's not sure in what capacity Shadow will feature, but as long as he's not driving around shooting things, it might not be too bad.

Right?

[via sonic.sega.jp]

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Very intriguing, indeed. (This comment has been edited due to my lack of common sense of writing a comment)

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

I'm sure it was already said that Sonic's friends will make an appearance ( A LOT of 'em ), but the only characters you'll play as is Sonic and Sonic.

People are so paranoid these days.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Hopefully all of this retro awesomeness can push out Shadow's unwanted presence.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

@TehRay Yeah, I changed my comment since I don't think too good when I wake up in the middle of the night or in the morning. I never meant to be paranoid.

FirebrandMustDie

FirebrandMustDie said:

Am I allowed to swear? Probably not on family friendly Nintendolife. Oh well...KEEP SHADOW OUT OF SONIC GENERATIONS FOR GOODNESS SAKE

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I don't care who's in as long as Sonic and Eggman (and probably Tails) aren't the only characters that appear outside of cutscenes.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

Just as long as that [expletive] "Silver the Hedgehog" doesn't make an appearance, I'm fine.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

didnt mind shadow in the sonic ds rpg.so dont mind if hes in this game.

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

I think its great that shadows in the game. And he is ment to be a Boss/Rival Battle in the same way as metal sonic. I think its basically just a race in the 3DS version (Based on screens ive seen of Metal Sonic & Shadow).

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Radical Highway was one of the better levels in SA2 so that's not too bad, although I wish SEGA would've given the game more classic levels. Shadow's not too bad either but if Silver is in it like SuperSinSlayer said (haven't been really following the news for this one enough so I don't really know) then that's going a bit far.

Mr_Reece

Mr_Reece said:

I sincerely doubt there'll be any Shadow shooty nonsense in Sonic Generationa. Every screenshot and trailer depicting actual gameplay since the game was announced has featured Sonic and Sonic alone. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

CapedGodot

CapedGodot said:

WTF. How is adding Shadow, the best, coolest, and most bad-ass character in THE ENTIRE SERIES an "uh-oh" moment?!? Seriously, guys. Get your act together.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

I don't understand how Shadow is a bad thing. Like Godot said, he's the most bad-ass character of the series.

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

I really don't mind having Shadow in this game, since the game IS about generations of sonic, but just... just.... don't give him guns please...

MorriganIsHot

MorriganIsHot said:

Back then people use to like shadow but now they hate him. Aside from being slow, I found nothing wrong with silver gameplay.

supers0nic91

supers0nic91 said:

Don't worry guys, Shadow simply appears as a boss for the Radical Highway Stage. It was confirmed when some hackers hacked the demo. Also, Shadow is quite cool when he's not on his bike with guns!

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I don't think sonic characters(in general) are that bad, just badly written and voice acted, and they are a part of Sonic's history.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

For all we know, Shadow could just be a boss, like he was in Sonic's side of Sonic Adventure 2, just as others have said/hoped. If this is the case, I'm fine with it. Shadow is a terrible character in general, even worse than Waluigi, but an evil version of Sonic for a boss fight wouldn't be terrible.

GARF13LD

GARF13LD said:

I really want this game to succeed, I liked Sonic Colours and Sonic Brotherhood, even both Rush games were likeable, so fingers crossed this gets at least an 8.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

I got here too late, everyone is butt hurtting :/
Shadow is only a boss battle, no big deal.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I like how Shadow featured in one bad game and for that he may never be forgiven, ever. Try to remember the original character was actually fairly decent. By Sonic standards, anyway. He wasn't irritating and they tried to give him a little depth. Then they gave him his own game and it went sucky, sure. But Tails had Sky Patrol and Knuckles had Knuckles Chaotix. We've forgiven those guys. And the blue 'hog himself had Sonic '06.

Him and Metal Sonic make for decent matched-skilled adversaries to Sonic, so I don't mind his inclusion. So long as he doesn't strike up too much conversation.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Shadow is one of the better Sonic Universe characters. He's certainly not going to be shooting off guns again, so there's no reason to fear his inclusion in the game.

Now, if the game has the Chaotix characters in it (unless Espio somehow makes a solo appearance), that would be bad news.

Punny

Punny said:

I don't consider myself a Shadow hater, even though I prefer Sonic. It's not THAT big of a deal. Sonic is still the only playable character (Classic and Modern), so we can wave guns and bikes goodbye. :)
Radical Highway is a cool stage, too.

NeoShinobi

NeoShinobi said:

Shadow was pretty cool in Sonic Adventure 2, but he has been a pretty useless character in every game since.

I don't really see what the big deal is though. If this game is going to include stages from SA2 then it only makes sense to include Shadow.

mastersworddude

mastersworddude said:

Uh.. So what? How is Shadow being in this bad thing? What, is Sonic being in this game a bad thing because his game (Sonic 06') sucked?
It's not even like Shadow is going to be a major character, just a boss fight.

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

Shadow is fine, they overdid it a little with shadow the hedgehog, but it was still a fun game, better than sonic 06 and the black knight, and all the super over the top stuff was hilarious if you didnt take it seriously

as a character, hes a pretty cool anti-hero/rival especially since knuckles hasnt really been performing the rival role as much lately

SuperSonic

SuperSonic said:

YOU CAN MAKE IT SHADOW!!! I know I'd really like to see him in more than just a boss fight. Maybe some later cutsenes after encountering him.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Oh god, so what if he shows up?
He's part of the series now, get over it. The Mega Drive era is long finished.

pntjr

pntjr said:

THIS JUST IN:
The name of "Sonic Generatons" is changed to "Shadow the Hedgehog 2: This Time it's Worse". And is focused on shadow biking around shooting random people

I wouldn't be surprised if Sega actually did that.

MasterBlue

MasterBlue said:

Yeah I still don't get why they gave Sonic a level restricted only for Shadow. I mean don't get me wrong I'm hyped about seeing Sonic run through those Legendary Looping Highways, but you know I'm just wondering.