So That's What a Boomerang Flower Looks Like

Posted by James Newton

Guess what it does

A few weeks ago we brought you news of a new power-up in Super Mario 3D Land, and now we see exactly how you'll be strapping on the new suit.

The official Super Mario 3D Land website just updated with some brand new screenshots, showing off more of the game's secrets. For instance, we now know that Boom Boom's female counterpart is called Pun Pun, likely to be changed for the Western release of course.

However, the mystery surrounding the Luigi statue goes on, with a large ? floating above his head.

You can also check out the first footage of a brand new power-up if you're feeling brave.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Arcanum

Arcanum said:

lol. The really fast quick comments(as seen above)to be first on the comments list always make me laugh xD

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Oh my god. The video showed that that Boomerang can grab far-off items, and can continuously be bounced to cause large damage.

This is turning into one of Mario's best power-ups already :)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Nice design of the Boomerang Flower, and I have to say that after watching that little trailer, this might be my favorite power-up in the game.

I'm going to guess that the Luigi statue might work like in Super Mario Galaxy 2 when you could switch places and play as Luigi for the rest of the level.

Late

Late said:

Trailer was nice. Boomerang was a good choice for Power-Up.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Eh, that flower is nothing new for me. They grow all over the place where I live, like weeds growing rampant. You can't take two steps outside the door before you're suddenly wearing a shell and wielding a 'rang, which means double 'rangs for a 'ranger like me. ;)

pikku

pikku said:

So that's why there's no boomerang in Skyward Sword...they c/p it into Super Mario 3D Land :O

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

When I was little, I always thought that the boomerangs they threw were giant socks.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

@18. What do you want? Guns and blood and hand-grenades? This is Mario we're talking about here...

Punny

Punny said:

Boomerang Flowers, huh? Where does Nintndo come up with these ideas? :D

I also like the name Pun Pun. :D

SqueakyTheBone

SqueakyTheBone said:

@21. Thats quite the conclusion you came to there Mullster! I didn't mean goofy in a particularly bad way, its just that when you're dealing with a game with Boomerang Flowers, Tanooki Boo's and... well, general Mario wackiness, 'goofy' just seemed like a good word to describe it all, y'know?

Then again, I did just use the word 'wacky' for kinda the same purpose. I guess it has a slightly more positive twang to it, maybe I should've used that. Huzzah!

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@pik: Are you sure? The demo I played had a Boomerang in the inventory...I think...

@SMEXI: As I already said, Boomerang Flowers are like weeds here, so they grow everywhere. Even our continent is shaped like a gigantic boomerang with a small object (Tasmania) hanging from one blade. ;)

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Now he can throw a sock filled with loose change?
Just kidding, actually that's a pretty cool new powerup, a little bit like the hammer bros powerup, but without the hammers...

AutoSkip

AutoSkip said:

Y'know - The aboriginal hunting boomerangs where designed not to come back! All they did was give what ever they hit a thumping headache.